Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniSturdyFlight Gimbal

Hey Guys,

I know a few of you are following the smaller gimbals closely and the MinisturdyFlight was on my radar as soon as I read about it.

Now what attracted me to it was the payload of 1.3kg, meaning I could use my pocket cinema camera and speedbooster with a tokina 11-16, something
    no other smaller gimbal can do, not even the new Came-TV (which is looking really nice!)

So I took the plunge and ordered one. My order actually got sent to Germany by mistake by the courier, so took 5 weeks to get to me rather than the advertised 2 weeks, so
    I've not actually had much time with the unit.

My first impression was "wow" I could have made this! (I couldn't) Its rough as hell, mainboard is hidden by a small bit of plastic, it looks very cheap but cost me £650, compare that
    with the CAME-TV which is going to be around £750 which looks incredibly well built, I'll upload some photos tomorrow.

Setting up was fairly easy, SturdyShots claim to try and set up every unit before they go out, I only had to adjust it slightly with my setup
    and I think I have it balanced as much as I can.

Here is my testshot with it:

https://vimeo.com/132860729

pw: mini

Let me know your thoughts...

Notice the micro vibrations, Sturdyshots are quite good at communication, however, and I am currently watsapping the owner. He thinks by increasing the yaw power I can reduce
    the micro vibrations.

I'll do some more tests tomorrow with the increased yaw power and post them here.

edit: forgot to say, filmed at 11mm and had an ir cut and genus eclipse attached.

are doing the typical steadicam walk in that shot or are you walking in a normal fashion?
    Vimeo profile
    VFX Showreel
    IMDB

Comment

Can we have another forum for gimbals?... I, and I assume many others, are not interested...

Comment

When I see gimbal footage looking as smooth as full steadycam footage then maybe I'll stop ignoring those things.

Yeah...just got an entire steadycam rig with full body vest, arm, stabilizer, and wiring for the monitor for about $700.
        How much again for a tiny gimbal with a 1kg limit?
        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
        Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
        Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
          Can we have another forum for gimbals?... I, and I assume many others, are not interested...
          There's actually quite a lot of people in this forum that care about gimbals. If you are not interested, just don't read it.

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
          When I see gimbal footage looking as smooth as full steadycam footage then maybe I'll stop ignoring those things.

Yeah...just got an entire steadycam rig with full body vest, arm, stabilizer, and wiring for the monitor for about $700.
          How much again for a tiny gimbal with a 1kg limit?
          Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. A steadicam for example always has problems when operating in strong winds. Most gimbals that have strong enough motors don't care about wind.

I think what a lot of people don't realize, even with a Movi, you still have to adjust the way you walk to get super smooth footage. Like with any mechanical steadicam. That is the reason why there's so much crappy gimbal footage out there that is bobbing up and down like crazy. Not everyone has mastered the "I shit my pants" steadicam walk....
          Vimeo profile
          VFX Showreel
          IMDB

Comment

Hello Ben, thanks for sharing your experience about the MiniSturdy.
            I've seen some really good looking footage from this thing, but every time I tried to ask something from the manufacturer, they just ignored me. In fact, they ignore almost everyone who doesn't happen to speak Italian.

So I didn't know they already ship these. That's great. Most of the videos on YouTube are coming from one guy, I thought they are still testing it.

Sad to hear about the low-ish build quality. Especially because it's called "sturdy" isn't it? Also from the pictures I've seen on Facebook, probably you have to mount the battery exterally with some wires hanging around the rig. Is that true?

Comment

Well, there are many more people interested in lenses, and there's a separate forum for that -

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                Well, there are many more people interested in lenses, and there's a separate forum for that -
                I agree that there should be a separate sub forum for rigs and stabilisation and it has been asked for many times but there isn't one for me to post to. I'm trying to be helpful to others by posting my experience / footage, how exactly are adding to this post?

Comment

probably you have to mount the battery exterally with some wires hanging around the rig. Is that true?
                  Unfortunately yes and also the sensor (which is wrapped in electrical tape...) has to be put on the camera and it's cable is also hanging loose...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...mtWQWFuTHJlM3M

Check out some photos, unfortunately taken with my camera phone as my dslr wasn't to hand.

Comment

Ben, thanks again! Yep, for that much money this looks way too experimental. If you can sort out the micro shakes, it might still worth it, but the lifespan is questionable. That sensor on the top with the black tape looks embarrassing. None of this is really evident from the product shots. Deceiving.

http://www.sturdyshots.com/sturdy201...rdyflight2.png

Comment

https://vimeo.com/132961320

Another test with increased yaw motor power, I'm not too sure if this is better or worse? Opinions? I am trying to walk carefully not just normally.

Comment

Originally posted by Liszön! View Post
                        Ben, thanks again! Yep, for that much money this looks way too experimental. If you can sort out the micro shakes, it might still worth it, but the lifespan is questionable. That sensor on the top with the black tape looks embarrassing. None of this is really evident from the product shots. Deceiving.

http://www.sturdyshots.com/sturdy201...rdyflight2.png
                        Agreed, if the shakes go then i'll keep it but I think if I can't get smooth footage like in their test videos I am going to send it back. I think perhaps the 1.3kg payload is a bit of an overestimate, perhaps 1.1kg might work better. I might try a lighter lens, I do have the tamron 17-50 which is lighter.

Comment

For those that are interested, here is my latest test, I think its getting there but still a few little micro-vibrations, be great for some feedback from the nebula owners....

https://vimeo.com/133069252

Comment

Who have tried this gimbal?

Comment

I was looking for a better single handed gimbal than the Nebula 4000 -
                              specifically I was checking out the CAME-TV 3 axis gimbal, but it does not
                              provide access to the BMPCC battery door - too bad because thats one thing
                              the Nebula does have -
                              Anyone know of any gimbals besides the Nebula4000 that do provide access to it? does the Mini Sturdyflight?

Comment

Working...
                              X