Cage for Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cage for Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

Think I'm gonna order and use this with the Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera (for now):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-Camera-...torefresh=true

However, I want to use it with my Varavon ENG Grip (http://varavon.com/products/armor-eng-handgrip), so I'll have to place the camera in a reverse position (as I'm right-handed and want to grip on the right-handed side of the cage).

Wouldn't mind finding an ultra-short HDMI cable (as will have monitor on top of the cage).

Anyone know of any very short, good-quality HDMI cables?
    My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Originally posted by Simon Shasha View Post

Anyone know of any very short, good-quality HDMI cables?
    I absolutely love Atomos' coiled HDMI cables. No excess wires hanging off and around.

Comment

Hey Aaron, I actually own the Atomos coiled cable (the 30cm one) Love them too

I'm trying to find something very shot - perhaps around 10cm or so...

Comment

That cage will be ridiculously gigantic on the Micro. If I were you, I'd wait a few months. There will be a myriad of choices because this might turn out to be the most popular BM camera yet and I'm sure manufacturers like Viewfactor and MoveCam are only waiting to get their hands on a mockup to design something that will be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Shasha View Post
          Hey Aaron, I actually own the Atomos coiled cable (the 30cm one) Love them too

I'm trying to find something very shot - perhaps around 10cm or so...
          Oh hmm. I dont know. The smallest coiled cables rest at about 15cm or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
            That cage will be ridiculously gigantic on the Micro. If I were you, I'd wait a few months. There will be a myriad of choices because this might turn out to be the most popular BM camera yet and I'm sure manufacturers like Viewfactor and MoveCam are only waiting to get their hands on a mockup to design something that will be perfect.
            Not really. The Micro has a height of 64.4mm, where as this cage, when using the "Short Side Plate" (it comes with two Side Plates, one "Short", one "Long"), has a height designed to fit a camera of 74.5mm. So there will only be a gap of 10.1mm.

I'm sure proper cages are evident. This cage will only be temporary until such cages come out.

Comment

I saw a post from wooden camera that their bmpcc cage fits the micro, but they're working on a micro cinema cam specific cage now.

Comment

I got the atomos coiled cable recently for the smallhd 502 and I think it contributed to the failure of my pocket hdmi port. It's short and it had to be turned backwards to work on the pocket and seemed to have a lot of tension on the cable.

Comment

Originally posted by gj91 View Post
                  I got the atomos coiled cable recently for the smallhd 502 and I think it contributed to the failure of my pocket hdmi port. It's short and it had to be turned backwards to work on the pocket and seemed to have a lot of tension on the cable.
                  Yeah with micro HDMI you have to secure it with a clamp. I hate micro HDMI. So glad the new MCC is using full HDMI.

Comment

why not just invest in a bigger camera? Not to sound like a hater but is attractive about turning a micro into anything besides an action camera? If you accessorize the camera all the way out to be used as an A camera you'd be approaching the price of a 4k Ursa mini.

Comment

Originally posted by chopnshoot View Post
                      why not just invest in a bigger camera? Not to sound like a hater but is attractive about turning a micro into anything besides an action camera? If you accessorize the camera all the way out to be used as an A camera you'd be approaching the price of a 4k Ursa mini.
                      Well, you have to have a monitor. That's a given. You could have a super light handheld camera with the Micro in front, and a SmallHD 502 or BM Assist sitting behind the camera, and a grip on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by chopnshoot View Post
                        $1000 > $5000

Comment

So, what is wrong with a small A or B cam? Micro set up $995 + 500 monitor + 100 for a cage = >$1600, vice $3500 for Ursa Mini 4K, also Micro has MFT mount, and will cut in with BMPCC and BMCC, as well as Alexia. I think the Micro is going to be a very multi-purpose camera that can be used in a variety of shooting situations.

Comment

URSA Mini 4k is $2995 brand new.

Micro is $995 brand new. Someone mentioned that new SmallHD monitor.

You're now at $1995.

I know Blackmagic has switched battieries but you'll still need a more reliable long term power supply and a rig to support it. On the cheap side a cage with Sony NPF battery plate you're looking at $300 dollars. You'll need a rig not just a cage that 1/4 20 threads because the form factor isn't really made for handheld work.

So now you're at $2295. To have this as a your A camera this would be your main go to configuration.

Maybe you get a monitor in the ballpark of the Video Assist and you could bring the price down to $1795 with rig.

At either configuration this camera is going to be way bigger than the palm size form factor or even a BMPCC with just a lens on it.

There's still the issue of the crop factor. I know there has been no mention of a Speedbooster in this thread but I'm throwing this in here for anyone who happens to read this. You have to add on another $500 dollars unless you find a good deal. The Super 16 crop as is can be a serious pain to deal with.

All in you could possibly looking at a camera that cost $2300 - $2800 to work as your A camera who's main advantage over the BMPCC is 60p. The advantage over getting this over a URSA Mini for not much more depending your configuration is that you don't have to deal with CFast cards and it'll be lighter than 7lbs.

I'm just not sure if people looking at this camera are considering how many shots they will get where they won't have to have this thing fully rigged up.

Comment

Yes, but if you already have a BMPCC, the speed booster and lenses, then all you need is a small cage ($99-150), not a $300 rig, and a small monitor like the Video assist ($500). If I buy a Ursa mini, I have to spend an additional $250 for a Nikon to EF mount adapter for each lens, or spend time switching the one adapter. S16 crop factor is not an issue, when you are shooting S16 only. Each camera has its advantages and trade offs. So for me, I only need Micro ($99), cage ($95-150) and I could even splash for the 501 monitor for $800, and still be under $2K. This is the route, I plan on going down.

For me, the Micro Cinema makes more sense for what I am shooting. Would I like a Ursa Mini, sure, but it would end up costing me a lot more than the initial $3000. You still need the tripod plate ($95-150), shoulder kit ($350) and the EVF kit, if you want to hand hold it. Now you are looking at $4500 without any lenses/lens adapters. A fully kitted out Micro (given you already have lens/adapters) will only cost me $2000, half the price. If I needed 4K, then the Mini is a no brainier!

Comment

Working...
                              X