Alternatives to Nebula 4000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to Nebula 4000

Have anyone at NAB looked at stabilizer. I am looking for an alternative to Nebula 4000 and Pilotfly. To be perfectly honest I was not impressed at NAB with Nebula 4000. I am looking for something to use with Lumix LX100/ Pocket Cinema/ Micro Cinema size camera, so the size and weight of the unit are important.
    Any actual first hand feedback would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I know, there are no other 3-axis single-handled gimbals available yet that can do 1kg.

Someone put out one that does more weight, but it is only a 2-axis gimbal.

The interest has been so high I think it is only a matter of a few more months before we see many more products hit the market.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Dave Dugdale's NAB 2015 recap video talks about some upcoming alternatives; check out his YouTube channel.

Comment

You could find Nebula 4000 on YouTube. There are so many videos.This is review on NAB 2015.

Comment

This looks promising: http://www.teamrebeldesign.com/

If they can get it under the $500 price point!

Comment

what was wrong with the Nebula 4000?

Comment

this one can handle up to 1.3kg

http://www.sturdyshots.com/sturdy2014/sturdyflight-2/

Comment

The sturdyflight mini is actually looking really good! Very tempted.

Comment

yes would be good to have some real world feedback on the sturdyflight but on this video it doesnt seem to struggle with the up & down movement from walking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCNcuArTC8

Comment

Originally posted by chopnshoot View Post
                    You should check out Dave Dugdale's review of it - it's the most thorough I've seen by far. The upshot: the 8-bit processor in it is a bit underpowered. Some folks have been upgrading theirs to a 32-bit processor, which gives it enough horsepower to make quicker/better adjustments. The battery is also not swappable by design (and requires a tool to get into the handle to even get at it) - some people are clipping the wires to the battery and putting in connectors to make it swappable. The time required to balance a camera seems excessive compared to more mature stabilizers. And, the software seems to have a steeper learning curve than one would like. I _think_ Dave also mentioned the handle could be more comfortable?

So, the obvious hardware changes, which I _really_ expected at NAB: 32-bit processor upgrade, tool-less access to battery compartment in handle, a swappable battery, and a more comfortable handle. Considering people have been making some of these changes on their own after purchase, it seems like a no-brainer. I'm still quite surprised they didn't do it already, and really surprised nobody came out with the equivalent of this at NAB.

The harder problem would be addressing how easy it is to balance the camera, and making the software easier to use. But at least get the upgraded hardware in the marketplace before someone else does it (and possibly cheaper).

Comment

OK I bought one, one month ago, to shoot with LX 100 and after one day on set one of the motor was out of order... The resealer was really cool (loca images in Paris) so the problem was fix really quick...but... Now I don't really trust in the quality of Nebula 4000 (QT trouble, and twoo small motor... anyway don' t buy it on ebay in china or hong kong or stuff like that...) sorry for my bad english
                      Originally posted by chopnshoot View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ade towell View Post
                        Hey, that _does_ look nice! The sample videos show motion pretty well-controlled. Tool-less design is a major plus. 849 Euros is a bit steep, but if it's actually a winner, it would be worth it. Waiting for some reviews...

Comment

http://copter-rc.com/en/catalog/60-p...ss-camera.html

Comment

Originally posted by tyger11 View Post
                            Hey, that _does_ look nice! The sample videos show motion pretty well-controlled. Tool-less design is a major plus. 849 Euros is a bit steep, but if it's actually a winner, it would be worth it. Waiting for some reviews...
                            This one looks reeeally good. I can't really see those annoying micro-shakes what most lightweight gimbals are making. I'm wondering if you can still balance it out when there's a Zacuto EVF mounted on the top of the Micro Cinema Camera. The overall weight would definitely work, maybe the distribution is a bit awkward. I don't know if I could put the Zacuto anywhere else on it.

Is it just my PC or the "50mm" test video is simply stuttering? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4u-CyaxhF0

@Edit: It has a removable handle, so you might be able to mount this thing to basically anything. Awesome.
                            Last edited by Liszön!; 05-03-2015, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Liszön! View Post
                              This one looks reeeally good. I can't really see those annoying micro-shakes what most lightweight gimbals are making. I'm wondering if you can still balance it out when there's a Zacuto EVF mounted on the top of the Micro Cinema Camera. The overall weight would definitely work, maybe the distribution is a bit awkward. I don't know if I could put the Zacuto anywhere else on it.

Is it just my PC or the "50mm" test video is simply stuttering? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4u-CyaxhF0

@Edit: It has a removable handle, so you might be able to mount this thing to basically anything. Awesome.
                              Yeah, EVFs and monitors are really the big unknown on these things. I'm thinking that if the bottom has a mount (like the Nebula 4000 Lite), one could rig up a small external monitor (like a 5" one) mounted from below, that way it's not weighing down the stabilizer itself, or messing with the balance. I'm thinking a handle mount might also be pretty handy for external microphones, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X