No announcement yet.

Group buy: Smallhd 502

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the response, and I will have to call them because I'm not getting a response in my request for an RMA either. For some reason I've fallen through the cracks apparently, which in my book still equates to terrible customer support.

BTW, I normally shoot documentaries handheld and never use a monitor. My partner is directing a PSA on sexual violence and she asked me if we could rig a monitor for her. I saw this group buy and thought I'd buy it for her - for this and future jobs she directs. Didn't work out, so now I;m paying a PA to drive to San Jose and get me a monitor.

Comment

• does anyone elses's get very hot? just going through the setup last night, it got quite warm

Comment

• For anyone on the fence. Here's a pic I took with my phone of the 502 screen with the Arri log to rec709 LUT coming from the Zacuto Gratical into the 502.

Lens sigma 18-35mm art @1.8. Hoya pro ND 200 (7 2/3 stop). Hollywood Blackmagic 1/8 diffusion filter. Shot on bmcc in raw.
        Attached Files
        Darren Scott
        Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

• Originally posted by jak3fx View Post
          does anyone elses's get very hot? just going through the setup last night, it got quite warm
          yes it gets quite warm
          Darren Scott

Comment

• Ordered the bundle, price after conversion to CAD dollars came in cheaper than I can even get just the monitor locally in Toronto. Great savings. Tracking number says it should be here Tue, so hopefully just in time for a shoot on Thursday.
            Thanks Note!

Also, I had a few questions for SmallHD and they replied through Twitter within minutes. So far my customer support experience has been good. Good luck Mac, hope it works out for you.

Comment

• I just - finally - got the RMA back from smallHD. Funny that I'm seemingly the only person who's had this problem with them - I guess I just have bad monitor karma - too bad because I was looking forward to the Sidewinder combo.

Comment

• Originally posted by jak3fx View Post
                does anyone elses's get very hot? just going through the setup last night, it got quite warm
                It does get hot. But I think it's just dissipating the heat out the side.

Comment

• Re: the SIDEWINDER, I wonder how the heat dissipation will work with that. During the brief time I had it on while frustratingly trying to get it activated I noticed considerable heat, and it was less than five minutes. That would be uncomfortable next to your face on a warm day.

Darren, does the Gratical put out that much heat?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    Re: the SIDEWINDER, I wonder how the heat dissipation will work with that. During the brief time I had it on while frustratingly trying to get it activated I noticed considerable heat, and it was less than five minutes. That would be uncomfortable next to your face on a warm day.

Darren, does the Gratical put out that much heat?

Heat is a non issue with the gratical in my experience. It may get a tad warm out in Jamaican blazing sun... But it's fine... And nothing close to the heat the 502 is churning out.
                    Darren Scott

Comment

• I was wrong, the email I thought was an RMA turned out to be just another case number. This is too much time wasted and I'm on a shoot and can't deal with it at the moment, but my advice - do not buy from these people. If you want one of their monitors, buy from a reseller like B&H.

Comment

I was wrong, the email I thought was an RMA turned out to be just another case number. This is too much time wasted and I'm on a shoot and can't deal with it at the moment, but my advice - do not buy from these people. If you want one of their monitors, buy from a reseller like B&H.
                        I'm sure this is already 2 late as the damage is done however I just sent them an email to the email I usually get fast responses from telling them of your plight and pointing them to this thread. Its the weekend now...so i don't know if they will get to check it till Monday, but I know they really strive to satisfy their customers. Hopefully this can be resolved.
                        Darren Scott

Comment

• Thanks Darren. If I wasn't so busy this wouldn't be such an issue. I'm sure they want to resolve it but so far what they've done is (finally) send the activation # - I assume hoping I wouldn't return it - but since I bought it for the job I'm now on, it's going back, and that seems to be the problem - if I had bought at an established reseller returning would be a non-issue and the whole thing would be off my plate.

Comment

Thanks Darren. If I wasn't so busy this wouldn't be such an issue. I'm sure they want to resolve it but so far what they've done is (finally) send the activation # - I assume hoping I wouldn't return it - but since I bought it for the job I'm now on, it's going back, and that seems to be the problem - if I had bought at an established reseller returning would be a non-issue and the whole thing would be off my plate.
                            Activate it...try it out. See if you like it (I'm sure you will), maybe you will keep it. I know its the principle of customer service so I totally get it.
                            Darren Scott

Comment

• possible group buy for the 501? hope it will bring the price down to $700

Comment

• Hi~I wanna in.
                                My email is whywhywong@gmail.com

May i know that have any discount if i wanna buy this 502 kit-set?

http://store.smallhd.com/store/502-m...tabs#shipswith

Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X