Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ursa Mini 4.6k vs C300 Mark II - What looks better?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ursa Mini 4.6k vs C300 Mark II - What looks better?

    C300 Mark II






    Ursa Mini 4.6k


    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa
    Last edited by alex1; 04-13-2015, 06:05 PM.

  • #2
    Canon clearly had a bigger budget, but still had a more "video-ish" feel to it. Shoot the Ursa under identical conditions & it would've easily won.
    Director / Cinematographer / VFX

    Website - www.ryanlightbourn.net
    Twitter - twitter.com/ryanlightbourn
    Vimeo - vimeo.com/ryanlightbourn
    IMDB - imdb.com/name/nm3405871

    Comment


    • #3
      i vote for the Ursa
      Canon does seem like they improved c300 DR but they didnt take away the awful video-ish look and the noise ( dont know if its vimeo compression or what, but its blocky as hell and banding everywhere) and IMO it would help them to just put sample footage instead of this horrendous acting

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by t.p. View Post
        i vote for the Ursa
        Canon does seem like they improved c300 DR but they didnt take away the awful video-ish look and the noise ( dont know if its vimeo compression or what, but its blocky as hell and banding everywhere) and IMO it would help them to just put sample footage instead of this horrendous acting
        The acting and the script...what were they thinking?

        Comment


        • #5
          C300 MKII looks crap. Coloured highlights scream video.
          My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

          Comment


          • #6
            It's definitely an improvement over the original C300.... I think canon lost this camera's identity with this iteration. if you wanna go into television or cinema film you gotta invest all the way into that image. The C300 was the most popular doco, event, and corporate cam, but you never really saw it used on serious narrative film. The C500, as a C cam for some, but that's it. This new cam's image feels like one foot in the door, the other out. It's DR is definitely better, it's slightly, ever so slightly more cinematic, but not all the way there.

            Who's this camera for? It doesn't appear to be a specialist in any one thing. The vast majority of doco films finish in 2k or FHD, and with the price drop, more will will still opt to use the original C300.
            Steve Lee Jean
            Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

            Comment


            • #7
              the c300 mk2 really doesn't look bad at all. if this was graded better it'd look pretty filmic.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by innerspark View Post
                The C300 was the most popular doco, event, and corporate cam, but you never really saw it used on serious narrative film. The C500, as a C cam for some, but that's it.
                Um...did you do your research before writing this? Because you are incorrect in this sentiment.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The C500 was used on The Avengers on a remote RC car. Good for what it was then, maybe a Ursa Mini would get more of these shots next time.

                  The blown highlights on the young man's face when he was placed on the chair did not look good. Roll off too quick?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by goodgoings View Post

                    The blown highlights on the young man's face when he was placed on the chair did not look good. Roll off too quick?
                    It was shot with the mkii but also with their new 50-1000mm lens. Not sure how much they used that lens but would think a lot since its to show off both new items. Im sure a zoom of that focal range has many compromises and CA. Roll off, and lack there of, can also come from or be controlled by the optics/lighting as much as the sensor.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If they brought the C300II's price down to the Ursa Mini price i'd still prefer the Mini, im just not a big fan of the ultra sharp digital look.. doesn't fit my style.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Sarlacc View Post
                        Um...did you do your research before writing this? Because you are incorrect in this sentiment.
                        what was the most publicized big budget c500 film? Need for speed? I like Hurlbuts work but all of the daytime exteriors were shot on Alexa. C cam on wolf of wallstreet and Her. But what else? Its never the A cam.

                        Blue is the warmest color was most publicized for c300, but the list tapers on major narrative work from therr.

                        With the proper budget and many times even with a limited one I have yet to see many dps pick a c500 over f55 epic or alexa.
                        Steve Lee Jean
                        Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by innerspark View Post
                          what was the most publicized big budget c500 film? Need for speed? I like Hurlbuts work but all of the daytime exteriors were shot on Alexa. C cam on wolf of wallstreet and Her. But what else? Its never the A cam.

                          Blue is the warmest color was most publicized for c300, but the list tapers on major narrative work from therr.

                          With the proper budget and many times even with a limited one I have yet to see many dps pick a c500 over f55 epic or alexa.
                          Not disputing any of that. The way you worded your post was that the C300 was not taken seriously in the narrative world. Doesn't specify whether it was the main camera or additional. And in the narrative world the C300 (and C500) is used a lot for additional camera or units. Which means it is taken seriously. Much in the same way we are starting to see BMPCC's show up on larger narratives to provide better "go pro" replacements and capture specialty angles and hard to reach places.

                          They are tools, and the professional world uses them as such.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think C series and Sony CineAlta outside of the F65 is used pretty infrequently overall. Alexa, RED etc, is where 95% of the narrative work is going. They're strong cameras, just not selected to be A cam over the other stronger options out there.
                            Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Gale Tattersall was gushing about the C300 II a couple of days ago. I know he has used EOS-C cams in his episodic work. But, we have choices. That's a good thing. The C300 II will fit the needs of some. Not all. For the latter, there are other choices. I personally feel this camera is overpriced and I am not a fan of the image it produces. I think it is WAY over priced for what it is and I hate the EVF on it. So, I have other choices

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X