Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

URSA 4.6K Footage

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • URSA 4.6K Footage

    Hi, on this page you can find some footage I shot with the URSA 4.6K.

    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa


    Couple of things about the URSA 4.6k footage for some 'background'. I shot this on a prototype so things were still in development and changing. This was also just me shooting solo with the URSA like previously and is "home movie" type stuff intended to be a quick first look. In fact, last time with my URSA beta video i had Danelle helping me to carry some gear but this time it was just me shooting some friends and around the city - definitely no crew or anything like that. For the kitchen shots and the drumming i set up some lights, everything else is 100% natural light, not even bounce. Grading on this video is purposely VERY simple. It's really just a quick setting of white balance, then contrast and saturation. I didn't tweak individual colours or even shift colours with Lift/Gamma/Gain because i wanted to show the great natural colour "out of the box". This part is my personal opinion and obviously now that i work for BMD people will take it with a grain of salt (to be expected), but personally i think we've made a BIG improvement on colour - colour that i already really liked which led me to first purchase the BMCC as a customer. I think the improvement in colour is just as big as the improvement on dynamic range. With DR, so far in my experience i think it's safe to say that whatever you rate the Pocket Camera to be, add roughly 2 stops. 1 stop in the highlights, and another stop in the shadows. I can't wait for people to get this and go shoot some incredible footage with it!
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

    **Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

  • #2
    Thanks for all you do Hook, and everyone at BMD. If I may be so selfish...... What ISO were you shooting at? =D
    Steve Lee Jean
    Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks absolutely stunning! What do you rate the sensor at?

      Comment


      • #4
        Amazing. The compression for the streaming video is pretty bad. Is there a vimeo link with a download option?

        Comment


        • #5
          No black sun hole!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Some lovely footage Captain Hook but then we have come to expect it from you. ;-)
            Adam Roberts
            www.adamroberts.net

            Comment


            • #7
              Nice footage but %100 sure that DR doesnt look like 15 stop

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
                Nice footage but %100 sure that DR doesnt look like 15 stop
                Pretty hard to make a statement like that without seeing ungraded footage.

                Comment


                • #9
                  For (mostly) uncontrolled lighting I'd say that looks pretty good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ........ no one captures 15 stops and delivers in 15 stops. That's just silly. The best rec709 displays do 11. We will need ungraded dngs for analysis.
                    Steve Lee Jean
                    Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      So I'm looking for the frame rate specs on the URSA and can't find them - are they posted on BMD's site somewhere? All I can find is "Maximum sensor frame rate dependent on resolution and codec selected."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
                        Hi, on this page you can find some footage I shot with the URSA 4.6K.

                        https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa


                        Couple of things about the URSA 4.6k footage for some 'background'. I shot this on a prototype so things were still in development and changing. This was also just me shooting solo with the URSA like previously and is "home movie" type stuff intended to be a quick first look. In fact, last time with my URSA beta video i had Danelle helping me to carry some gear but this time it was just me shooting some friends and around the city - definitely no crew or anything like that. For the kitchen shots and the drumming i set up some lights, everything else is 100% natural light, not even bounce. Grading on this video is purposely VERY simple. It's really just a quick setting of white balance, then contrast and saturation. I didn't tweak individual colours or even shift colours with Lift/Gamma/Gain because i wanted to show the great natural colour "out of the box". This part is my personal opinion and obviously now that i work for BMD people will take it with a grain of salt (to be expected), but personally i think we've made a BIG improvement on colour - colour that i already really liked which led me to first purchase the BMCC as a customer. I think the improvement in colour is just as big as the improvement on dynamic range. With DR, so far in my experience i think it's safe to say that whatever you rate the Pocket Camera to be, add roughly 2 stops. 1 stop in the highlights, and another stop in the shadows. I can't wait for people to get this and go shoot some incredible footage with it!
                        Do you prefer this color or the Color from the BMCC still your favorite?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think if you were to only go by that video, it looks like what Alexa has. Lots of room in the highlights.

                          I'm stoked!

                          I could mention a lot of things I liked about the footage, but what stands out to me the most is the color. There's FINALLY a density and richness to the color that I've been waiting for. Don't know if it's really quantifiable, but you see it in Alexa footage, F35 footage and even Canon C300 stuff. A certain weight to the image that gives it a mojo I've wanted for a while now.

                          I was close to getting the old Sony F35 for this exact reason last year, and now, BMD has done it. 2.5K is a great camera, and I love the color, but in some ways it can appear "thin" even with the best grading in the world. This though... pretty much takes away the temptation of renting an Alexa, even for a budgeted feature.

                          Great job Hook, this is all I needed to see. Can't wait.
                          Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
                            Hi, on this page you can find some footage I shot with the URSA 4.6K.

                            https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa


                            Couple of things about the URSA 4.6k footage for some 'background'. I shot this on a prototype so things were still in development and changing. This was also just me shooting solo with the URSA like previously and is "home movie" type stuff intended to be a quick first look. In fact, last time with my URSA beta video i had Danelle helping me to carry some gear but this time it was just me shooting some friends and around the city - definitely no crew or anything like that. For the kitchen shots and the drumming i set up some lights, everything else is 100% natural light, not even bounce. Grading on this video is purposely VERY simple. It's really just a quick setting of white balance, then contrast and saturation. I didn't tweak individual colours or even shift colours with Lift/Gamma/Gain because i wanted to show the great natural colour "out of the box". This part is my personal opinion and obviously now that i work for BMD people will take it with a grain of salt (to be expected), but personally i think we've made a BIG improvement on colour - colour that i already really liked which led me to first purchase the BMCC as a customer. I think the improvement in colour is just as big as the improvement on dynamic range. With DR, so far in my experience i think it's safe to say that whatever you rate the Pocket Camera to be, add roughly 2 stops. 1 stop in the highlights, and another stop in the shadows. I can't wait for people to get this and go shoot some incredible footage with it!
                            Thanks for all the great info Hook. I wish it had built in ND's but I have a work around for that. Is the Black Sun Dot fixed on this sensor or did you fix it in post? Is there an OLPF? Can you speak about Moiré and Aliasing compared to the other BM Cameras? Can the shoulder mount and top handle slide like the Amira to find balance? Can the flip out screen rotate 180 degrees so I could see myself if I was in front of the camera? Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by claytonarnall View Post
                              Pretty hard to make a statement like that without seeing ungraded footage.
                              wanna bet on something?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X