Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impressive, Mr. Hook! Quite the Jack of trades, aren't you? Must remember to request your services in the future... you know, when I'm no longer broke after I purchase this glorious beast of a camera.

The fact that footage was shot on Sigma Art is also promising, given that's my lens of choice. So sexy to think this image will be mine. Muwahaha.

Comment

More footage, please!!

Comment

Let's talk about New Options with 4.6K Sensor!

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
        Hi, on this page you can find some footage I shot with the URSA 4.6K.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa

Couple of things about the URSA 4.6k footage for some 'background'. I shot this on a prototype so things were still in development and changing.... I didn't tweak individual colours or even shift colours with Lift/Gamma/Gain because i wanted to show the great natural colour "out of the box".

... personally i think we've made a BIG improvement on colour - colour that i already really liked which led me to first purchase the BMCC as a customer. I think the improvement in colour is just as big as the improvement on dynamic range....
        CaptainHook, at first -thanks a lot for your beautiful work! .. and as you talk about color and DR, I would like to ask you something about shooting options with URSA Mini 4.6K which I ready "pre-ordered" here, in New York ...

When I read specification first time, I'm notice new recording options with this Fairchild sensor, and draw a couple diagram in case to compare this sensor with sensors from other cameras :

.. so we can see there, that New BMD 4.6 sensor is bigger than Canon sensor and much bigger than sensor in BMPK 4K camera - so, no wonder it have much better DR!

and, ... when I make next diagram - to show difference in SHOOTING MODEs with new sensor, I got it as "ANY CROP IN DIFFERENT MODES" work the way, that camera RECORD only exact PART of the sensor in each mode, and we don't need to "cut" it in post-production" right ? ...

and this is what I would like to discuss here:

If URSA Mini 4.6 K are able to record 60fps from ENTIRE 4.6K sensor ( which I mark as "OPEN GATE" Mode ) - is it possible, that from "3K Wide Screen" Mode camera will be able to shoot with FASTER FRAME RATES, something like 90fps or similar ? What do you think? As camera DO NOT record UPPER and LOWER parts of the frame - it record much LESS DATA, ( the same with "URSA 3K Anamorphic" Mode, where Right and Left part of the frame also do not recorded )
        So I see the potential to increase FRAME RATE! ..., even a little

I would like to know everyone opinion about it...

( sorry for my English, I never have a chance to learn it in School )
        Last edited by SergeSmArt; 06-17-2015, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Anyone know if you can send "video mode" through SDI to an external monitor while recording "film mode" with the URSA Mini?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbrycel View Post
            Anyone know if you can send "video mode" through SDI to an external monitor while recording "film mode" with the URSA Mini?
            With the BMD EVF you can apply the Rec.709 view in the EVF while recording on CFast 2 in Film mode.

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
              With the BMD EVF you can apply the Rec.709 view in the EVF while recording on CFast 2 in Film mode.
              That's awesome, that EVF sounds great.

But for sending the image through SDI to a client monitor, or even an additional onboard monitor, is there a REC709 option?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbrycel View Post
                That's awesome, that EVF sounds great.

But for sending the image through SDI to a client monitor, or even an additional onboard monitor, is there a REC709 option?
                I was hoping someone would have a definitive answer on this, but I think the answer is that the SDI Out is sending whatever mode you have selected for the recording. I think you can have the camera monitor show Video while recording Film now, but the SDI won't reflect that.

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                  I was hoping someone would have a definitive answer on this, but I think the answer is that the SDI Out is sending whatever mode you have selected for the recording. I think you can have the camera monitor show Video while recording Film now, but the SDI won't reflect that.
                  Bummer.. Maybe it could be changed via firmware update?

Also, does anyone know if the onboard monitor have false color? Or just the EVF?

Comment

The EVF does an on the fly conversion which is assignable to turn on and off to one of the function buttons. The EVF also does false colour via a customizable menu I haven't seen anyone cover.

JB

Comment

• Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                      The EVF does an on the fly conversion which is assignable to turn on and off to one of the function buttons. The EVF also does false colour via a customizable menu I haven't seen anyone cover. JB
                      Captainhook touches on it a bit here and here. It's always great to get these sorts of details direct from folks who have used the pre-release products.

If possible, I hope BMD eventually implements the new communicate-with-Viewfinder-via-SDI feature in existing BMPC-4K & BMCC cameras, too, and not only in URSA cams.
                      Last edited by Peter J. DeCrescenzo; 04-30-2015, 02:00 PM.
                      www.peterdv.com
                      Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

• Any new footage? It's been a while, there must be something new!

Comment

• Nope, just the one video on their website.
                          https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Comment

• im wondering whats gonna happen if we find out Ursa 4.6 dont have 15 stop DR? Marketing marketing marketing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
                              im wondering whats gonna happen if we find out Ursa 4.6 dont have 15 stop DR? Marketing marketing marketing.
                              How will you know ? How will you find out ? Which tests will you trust ? What's your personal testing methodology ? What's your acceptable noise floor threshold ? Which camera are you comparing it to ?

DR is always the most subjective and contentious marketing number because it's just that, highly highly subjective. You have to make a subjective judgement about how much noise.

I mean RED were claiming 20 stops a little while ago...what happened to that number ?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...ter-the-Dragon

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013.../#.VWXFl2CEs2U

It's something that YOU need to determine for yourself, because it's only YOU that can choose what metrics you'll be happy to accept.

JB

Comment

• Originally posted by Kemalettin Sert View Post
                                im wondering whats gonna happen if we find out Ursa 4.6 dont have 15 stop DR? Marketing marketing marketing.
                                You're wondering what will happen? What do you anticipate? I don't see much coming from it; perhaps some negative quips that will equate to nothing. I expect there will be a slight discrepancy between what we've been told and what we will receive, however there is always a grey line between theoretical DR and practical DR.

Comment

Working...
                                X