Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it really does have 15 stops of DR as it claims that would be a real game changer , would really love to see some Dng files or even the prores file ungraded

Comment

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
      Would you kindly post a link to the white paper? I couldn't find it. I downloaded the PDF but that was very little information. Thanks.
      http://fairchildimaging.com/catalog/...scmos/ltn4625a
      Eddie Barton

My blog where I write about math stuff related to video: https://iaremrsir.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
        Hi, on this page you can find some footage I shot with the URSA 4.6K.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...blackmagicursa
        Would it be possible for you to post a full res version of this for download on Vimeo?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
          I think if you were to only go by that video, it looks like what Alexa has. Lots of room in the highlights.

I'm stoked!

I could mention a lot of things I liked about the footage, but what stands out to me the most is the color. There's FINALLY a density and richness to the color that I've been waiting for. Don't know if it's really quantifiable, but you see it in Alexa footage, F35 footage and even Canon C300 stuff. A certain weight to the image that gives it a mojo I've wanted for a while now.

I was close to getting the old Sony F35 for this exact reason last year, and now, BMD has done it. 2.5K is a great camera, and I love the color, but in some ways it can appear "thin" even with the best grading in the world. This though... pretty much takes away the temptation of renting an Alexa, even for a budgeted feature.

Great job Hook, this is all I needed to see. Can't wait.

Brings me back to something in Shane's review of the original BM cam, he said the sensor felt 'thin' in terms of color richness compared to alexa etc. I saw what he meant & I always tend to embrace a slightly desaturated look rather than artificial saturation.

Comment

Nice, Thanks Cap.
            Curious what lenses you used...EF?

Comment

Thanks, iaremrsir, but I don't see anything on that webpage that is a white paper. The PDF is a brief two pages that adds little to what the main product page had to say. I would like to know where Faorchild says the dynamic range is 13.5 stops with global shutter. Is this relevant to that:

Exceptional low readout noise: <2 e- RMS (RS), <5 e- RMS (GS)
              Wide Dynamic Range: >88 dB single frame

The PDF indicates the full well is 40,000 e- but I don't know how to derive the dynamic range with global shutter.

Comment

I'm having connection anxiety being far away from a computer with only my phone and so so data reception. First I'm reminded that the game of thrones season premiere was last night, and now this! I think I actually want to watch this more!

Can't wait to view this hook. Thanks for getting us footage on announcement day.
                www.motionplaces.com
                andrewjulian

Comment

Hi, very tired and today was crazy and awesome. Thanks for the kind feedback! Want to answer what i can, but eyes closing so just wanting to quickly say that yes, no black sun when this 4.6K sensor ships. By the way, check out Resolve 12 - automatic black sun removal for our existing cameras and existing footage. Right click on a clip and enable it. We are crazy and i love it.
                  Blackmagic Design
                  My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

TI would like to know where Faorchild says the dynamic range is 13.5 stops with global shutter. Is this relevant to that:

The PDF indicates the full well is 40,000 e- but I don't know how to derive the dynamic range with global shutter.
                    well / noise = dynamic range
                    40,000 / 5 = 8,000

but that gives it as a ratio, 8,000:1. If you want to convert it to stops, you have to ask, "2 to the what equals 8,000?" Or, as mathematicians say, "What is the base-2 logarithm of 8,000?" Anyway:

2^13 = 8,192

So, it should be about 13 stops in global-shutter mode.

Comment

Originally posted by combatentropy View Post
                      well / noise = dynamic range
                      40,000 / 5 = 8,000

but that gives it as a ratio, 8,000:1. If you want to convert it to stops, you have to ask, "2 to the what equals 8,000?" Or, as mathematicians say, "What is the base-2 logarithm of 8,000?" Anyway:

2^13 = 8,192

So, it should be about 13 stops in global-shutter mode.
                      This. But the numbers in white papers are usually conservative. The liquid cooling that the URSA has in it will reduce the read noise of the sensor, increasing the contrast ratio/dynamic range.
                      Eddie Barton

My blog where I write about math stuff related to video: https://iaremrsir.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Mendelk46 View Post
                        Brings me back to something in Shane's review of the original BM cam, he said the sensor felt 'thin' in terms of color richness compared to alexa etc. I saw what he meant & I always tend to embrace a slightly desaturated look rather than artificial saturation.
                        I love this. Every time someone compares a BM camera to an Alexa a BMCuser gets his wings.

Comment

I'd love a 2,5K download available at Vimeo, too.
                          Álex Montoya on IMDB
                          https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

Thanks, iaremrsir, but I don't see anything on that webpage that is a white paper. The PDF is a brief two pages that adds little to what the main product page had to say. I would like to know where Faorchild says the dynamic range is 13.5 stops with global shutter. Is this relevant to that:

To complement what comatentropy already said:

DR in RS mode: log2(40000/2)=14.3 stops
                            DR in GS mode: log2(40000/5)=13.0 stops

So it should be just a stop and a third of difference. I wouldn't use GS all the time, but that's the beauty of having the switch: you can use it when you need it (and the price in terms of DR is not that high, you still have plenty to work with).

What I still need to see is a side-by-side 4.6K-vs-pocket DR comparison with an exposure ramp, because in terms of DR the sensor manufacturer rates this 4.6K sensor exactly the same as the sensor in the pocket: 88dB (which is 14.7 stops; those 2e- and 5e- numbers are rounded).
                            My YouTube channel

Comment

So....where's the download link for the ungraded footage?

Comment

I don't understand, the Fairchild whitepaper says that this sensor has 88db dynamic range which would be the same as the BMCC and the BMPCC (which are both clearly marketed as 13 stops). How does the new Ursa 4.6k sensor have 15 then????

http://fairchildimaging.com/catalog/...scmos/ltn4625a

Comment

Working...
                                X