Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What iso do you rate the sensor at? Is it better in low light and are there any issues with fpn? The video looks great! I think our office may have a new camera soon!

Comment

Also can you use the shoulder rig that was released today with the grip on the ursa? If so did you use it and how was the balance of that? I like the mini but love the ability to upgrade the sensor in the future.

Comment

This looks great, thanks for posting. Was it shot with the global or rolling shutter? If the rolling shutter then it's looking pretty good, although I only watched 2/3 of it then Vimeo stalled. I am definitely interested to get clarification on the dynamic range hit for the new 4.6k sensor when switching between global and rolling shutter. In the NoFilm School article it says "A stop or two less in Global Shutter mode" - does the journalist realise how much that is? On a linear scale, one stop is twice the brightness of the previous stop. I mean if it's 13 stops in global shutter mode, that is still a huge breakthrough but it would be great to know.

Also, fingers crossed the rolling shutter speed has been greatly improved. Sub 10ms would be killer but I don't want to hold my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by michaelg View Post
          This looks great, thanks for posting. Was it shot with the global or rolling shutter? If the rolling shutter then it's looking pretty good, although I only watched 2/3 of it then Vimeo stalled. I am definitely interested to get clarification on the dynamic range hit for the new 4.6k sensor when switching between global and rolling shutter. In the NoFilm School article it says "A stop or two less in Global Shutter mode" - does the journalist realise how much that is? On a linear scale, one stop is twice the brightness of the previous stop. I mean if it's 13 stops in global shutter mode, that is still a huge breakthrough but it would be great to know.

Also, fingers crossed the rolling shutter speed has been greatly improved. Sub 10ms would be killer but I don't want to hold my breath.
          The white paper shows the dynamic range in global shutter mode to be ~13 stops, so with the extra cooling, I'd expect it to be anywhere in between 13-13.5 stops.
          Eddie Barton

My blog where I write about math stuff related to video: https://iaremrsir.wordpress.com/

Comment

Looks like a 4k version of the 2.5k sensor in dynamic range. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
              I think if you were to only go by that video, it looks like what Alexa has. Lots of room in the highlights.

I'm stoked!

I could mention a lot of things I liked about the footage, but what stands out to me the most is the color. There's FINALLY a density and richness to the color that I've been waiting for. Don't know if it's really quantifiable, but you see it in Alexa footage, F35 footage and even Canon C300 stuff. A certain weight to the image that gives it a mojo I've wanted for a while now.

I was close to getting the old Sony F35 for this exact reason last year, and now, BMD has done it. 2.5K is a great camera, and I love the color, but in some ways it can appear "thin" even with the best grading in the world. This though... pretty much takes away the temptation of renting an Alexa, even for a budgeted feature.

Great job Hook, this is all I needed to see. Can't wait.
              Exactly.. no amount of grading can save harsh colors comming out of camera even in RAW.. it needs to be done properly inside of the camera.. I was also close to buying an F35 but rather chose to buy an used CNC machine.

But damn for the money the new URSA sensor looks great.. watched the demo on a few monitors and I can discern it has its own color style which looks very very solid. I'd rate it above F5 or even F55 \(not for skin-tones.. but I never care about them as I always touch them up) and a step below Alexa and F35 & F65 and only very slightly below Varicam 35 (I dislike the greenish yellows very much on it.. other colors are great and very creamy.. hmm).. probably somehow on par with Red Epic and even Dragon (similar quality, not style).

A7S, FS7, C100/C300/C500, Kineraw Mini, GH4 and do not come close.

Let's see what C300 Mark II can do
              Last edited by Hybaj; 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hybaj View Post
                Let's see what C300 Mark II can do
                There's a video in the off topic section. Looks exactly how I would expect it to look: like C300 4K footage.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Kholi View Post
                  There's a video in the off topic section. Looks exactly how I would expect it to look: like C300 4K footage.
                  Looked like something out of Syfy.

Comment

This test was really nice, good on BM for having you to shoot it.

I need a side-by-side DR ramp test against the pocket. If it's really two stops more, it is a KILLER camera.
                    My YouTube channel

Comment

Originally posted by Kholi View Post
                      Absolutely agree... nothing new from Canon... RAW from 5d Mark II looks better in some situations than this.. I don't see anything "Cinematic" in it

Comment

Can't wait to download some footage.

Comment

Originally posted by iaremrsir View Post
                          The white paper shows the dynamic range in global shutter mode to be ~13 stops, so with the extra cooling, I'd expect it to be anywhere in between 13-13.5 stops.
                          I assume you're talking about the white paper on the Fairchild website, thanks for the catch. 13-13.5 stops, preferably in the highlights, sounds really nice so here's hoping. Though I would be happy to use it in rolling shutter mode more often if they improved the readout speed a bit. Looking forward to seeing more footage.

Comment

done

Comment

Stickied, thanks again, Hook!

I'm sure alot of us are incredibly happy to have one of our own over at BMD.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                              Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by iaremrsir View Post
                                Would you kindly post a link to the white paper? I couldn't find it. I downloaded the PDF but that was very little information. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X