Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmagic Cinema Camera Teardown and Repair

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Teardown and Repair

Pretty cool if you know what you are doing with a soldering iron - I would probably melt the whole thing into a blob within seconds.

Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Cool! will check this out later, surely this could lead to some nifty rehousing of the old BMCC?

Comment

Yea i opened up my BMCC like a year ago, WATCH OUT for the battery connector people, that came apart from having to de connect the connector, when trying to solder it, it pulled up some of the main board tracks and i was panicking, but it was fixed as soon as got it under a microscope and solder

Comment

Originally posted by BampFilm View Post
        Cool! will check this out later, surely this could lead to some nifty rehousing of the old BMCC?
        Already happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X28F-Y2AsKU

Comment

man - these videos are like crack to me - always opened up electronics - took 'em apart - 99% of the time I killed the machines.

Comment

Interesting - shows that the BMCC isn't fragile, but actually serviceable on the inside. Wouldn't dare to do this myself, though.

Comment

Man I'm right there with you, i've taken so many things apart as a young boy and usually they all end up not working afterwards. But i've taken a lot of things apart recently very carefully and studied all of the things that i've taken apart and felt comfortable with taking the bmcc camera part. Plus after watching first video on this forum I gain enough confidence to do it.

Comment

I use to do digital test/repair on some parts that went into the Boeing EA-18G. It's pretty surprising how much stuff you can fix just by re-flowing solder connections that look suspect under a microscope or magnifying glass.

Comment

I like this guy in the video - he did a video of trying to repair a V-mount battery - i recently had one i needed repaired - as I've bitched on here before how Core wouldn't fix my battery - i was gonna contact this guy to see if he could repair. If he's reading this

Comment

Resoldering two pins that go through a circuit board is called teardown and repair?

Things are a lot more complicated if the part is replaced especially if it's surface mount.

Comment

Originally posted by RAWlover View Post
                      Resoldering two pins that go through a circuit board is called teardown and repair?

Things are a lot more complicated if the part is replaced especially if it's surface mount.
                      How would you call it?

He actually took his bmcc apart, and repaired what was broken?

Comment

This clip of a teardown of a BMCC4K camera may have been linked previously. If so, please forgive my not having spotted it. I don't have the wit to be able to make the clip appear in a frame in this message so you will have to click on the link itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CHwWHPM7k

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hart View Post
                          This clip of a teardown of a BMCC4K camera may have been linked previously. If so, please forgive my not having spotted it. I don't have the wit to be able to make the clip appear in a frame in this message so you will have to click on the link itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CHwWHPM7k
                          Has the BMPCC 4k ever been 'torn down' on video? Would be quite interestng to see the motherboard, sensor and ports. Hope BlackMagic have had the sense to use a seperate board for the connectors this time round - with the original Pocket, you could easily break the HMDI port with no easy (if any) repair options. Any ideas on rehousing the 4k Pocket into an Ursa Mini style body? Someone on this thread posted a four part video of the original BMCC being converted this way, and it blew me away! Awesome skills and commitment - if he offered it as a service I'm sure he'd be swamped with work!

Comment

I think it is too soon for a BMPCC4K to become so intimately violated. Likely unless it gets hit by a bus or goes over the side of a boat, warranty will be applicable on most of them and historically BM has been very good in that respect. When one irretrievably dies outside of product support, then we may see the entrails. From looking at one offered on eBay which was partially smashed, it seems the same practice of unitary versus modular electronics remains. There may be two separable electronic systems plus things like LCD displays being pluggable "hopefully". I had toyed with the notion of transplanting its guts into the dead "Big" URSA but the broadness of the circuit board within the narrow turret body and the necessary close coupling of the sensor with the motherboard pretty much put that notion to bed. I am hoping to try the transplant arrangement with an original BMPC4K if one turns up distressed but otherwise intact.

Comment

Working...
                            X