Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmagic URSA overheating.

Hi guys,

haven't been on here for a while but we recently bought an URSA (EF), updated to FW2.0.

It's just gone on a job today and we got a call saying it's overheating and shutting down when they start to roll. I'm a bit short on details right now, it's pretty hot here at 32 degrees Celcius but i would expect any camera to handle it like they already do.

Have there been any reports on the URSA having overheating issues or did we get a bit of a dud.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you call BM ASAP? Seems to be the best thing you can do in the immediate. Maybe they just have to doohicky switched in the down position? Obviously that's just a bit of humor

Comment

I have contacted them, waiting for a reply.

I already checked the doohicky switch, it was already in the "do not overheat" position.

Comment

Can they hear the fan running? Seems to me, it's the problem, since the sensor eventually relies on the fan to cool the heat sink. It's the only moving mechanical part, so most likely fault.

If the ambient air temperature is in the low 30s Celcius, it could also be that the camera is in a place where the air temperature is much higher due to the lights, or sun (or other heat source) warming a confined area without sufficient ventilation. So it may be 40 degrees and the camera is shutting down due to the heat.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor Magyar View Post
            Any updates?
            Fans are running and today is a much cooler day here but the overheating/shutting down is still happening.

I'm going to organize a temporary replacement and see if it's just this unit or an actual problem with the design (which I highly doubt or there'd be way more reports about the problem). Hopefully it's just a defect with this one unit which they can replace.

I'll let you guys know.

Comment

I've used it all day long in 80F (did have breaks though) without any issues, but you ever know..

Comment

Just for an update:

I asked the shop we purchased from to check out the demo one they had in store and they said that one was doing the same thing.

Blackmagic just told them to have the camera sent back which is great but doesn't solve our need for an immediate camera, fortunately the store gave us a brand new unit. But i'm really worried that the same thing might happen. In the mean time we will send the first one back to Blackmagic and they can have a look at it.

Tomorrow will be really nerve wracking, i'll post at the end of the day with an update but if it fails too then it's 3 out of 3

Comment

Thank you- I look forward to seeing what happens as it gets warmer here in the US this spring.

Comment

How long was the camera on before this started to happen? Straight away after a cold start?

Comment

Hey all,

okay so the camera would get through most of the day before overheating, just to answer that question.

As for the swap out. The new unit was used today and had no issues. Today was a much cooler day here but at least there's some hope there. The first unit is being sent back the BM. I'll keep you updated.

Comment

Hopefully this will be the final update to this post.

Day 3 of the new camera and no overheating issues (touch wood). So it looks like it was just a dud unit.

Comment

Sigh.

Well the new camera has been fine in overheating issues, but it's fried two 128Gb Sandisk Cfast cards.

At $1,200 each it's a problem even though the first one was swapped out. Still waiting to see what they say about the second one.

The cards are much cheaper now but we can't have cards frying on set no matter how much they cost.

Comment

Why are you using Sandisk CFast cards? They're not on the recommended list at the moment as there's a problem with the Sandisk firmware! Haven't you read this?
                            http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/vi...hp?f=2&t=32234
                            At least it sounds like Sandisk will RMA your cards if you have them since they know there's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioAna View Post
                              Sigh.

Well the new camera has been fine in overheating issues, but it's fried two 128Gb Sandisk Cfast cards.

At $1,200 each it's a problem even though the first one was swapped out. Still waiting to see what they say about the second one.

The cards are much cheaper now but we can't have cards frying on set no matter how much they cost.
                              I would be amazed if overheating was the issue.

You weren't very specific about what was happening. Was the camera turning off ? Was it simply refusing to record ? Those are very different scenarios.

I would think that media is the more likely issue if it's the second one....

I've never had a camera actually stop from overheating. As far as I know they don't. They'd keep going till they literally cooked and 32Deg C isn't that hot.

I was already going to ask you about the media though and you've also mentioned the issue about the SanDisk media. I believe this is a known issue to do with SanDisk themselves. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get those replaced.

You may also just have gotten a camera that's gone bad as well. Good luck.

JB

Comment

Working...
                              X