Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strong flare with Chinese Speed booster

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Strong flare with Chinese Speed booster

    Hi guys,

    Anyone have some experience with these Chinese Speedboosters? I got one with my BMPCC and it works great indoors and in the shade, but in bright sunlight, it doesn't matter where I point it; I get a strong flare in the middle of the lens. I'm not sure if it's Zhonyi or RJ. But it's a Nikon with Speedbooster and the lens is 18-50 Sigma 2.8.

    Thanks,
    Federer_Express

  • #2
    You get what you pay for.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by poematik13 View Post
      You get what you pay for.
      It came with the camera. Thanks for adding nothing to the thread.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by federer_express View Post
        It came with the camera. Thanks for adding nothing to the thread.
        Yeah, not only did that not add to the thread, it also doesn't make much sense. There are plenty of great chinese knockoffs (some comparable to metabones) out there, but some of the earlier ones were hit or miss.
        It's difficult to tell where the generic "focal reducers" came from (as they are unbranded), but I believe the one I got was from this seller:
        http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...ducer&_sacat=0
        Not sure which mount you need, but it doesn't look like he currently has the EOS to M43 version.
        I believe this is the same one as mine as well:
        www.ebay.com/itm/Focal-Reducer-Speed-Booster-adapter-For-Canon-EF-mount-Lens-to-Micro-4-3-Camera-/281240980971

        I can't remember specifically which ones were bad (except anything by Fotodiox... hah), but there's a lot of good general info in this thread, among others:
        http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?12...erture-Control

        I'm sure a few others will chime in with their good/bad experiences.

        Comment


        • #5
          There's countless info and threads on this all over the internet. As stated earlier, you get what you pay for sometimes. Many of these cheap boosters are made with inferior glass and even worse coatings. I think that Zhonyi was pretty bad as well as the first batch of RJs. Probably why it was sold with the Pocket. The original owner found out it was garbage. Nothing you can do man, sorry. Many of these things are just junk.

          If you want, search the internet for examples but it is what it is. These cheap boosters are the reason I was banned from Personal View. The cheap ones were being sold over there when we knew they sucked and I was very vocal about it, thus getting banned.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by federer_express View Post
            Hi guys,

            Anyone have some experience with these Chinese Speedboosters? I got one with my BMPCC and it works great indoors and in the shade, but in bright sunlight, it doesn't matter where I point it; I get a strong flare in the middle of the lens. I'm not sure if it's Zhonyi or RJ. But it's a Nikon with Speedbooster and the lens is 18-50 Sigma 2.8.

            Thanks,
            Federer_Express
            They are all Chinese speed boosters. Tell me which ones aren't?

            Comment


            • #7
              Actually the cheaper focal reducers, not the early batch that suffers from flares, can be a blessing over the higher quality but more expensive Metabones. It is not as sharp which is sometimes more preferable for filming as it is less prone to aliasing too. As a dumb mount it also won't reduce your battery life.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                There's countless info and threads on this all over the internet. As stated earlier, you get what you pay for sometimes. Many of these cheap boosters are made with inferior glass and even worse coatings. I think that Zhonyi was pretty bad as well as the first batch of RJs. Probably why it was sold with the Pocket. The original owner found out it was garbage. Nothing you can do man, sorry. Many of these things are just junk.

                If you want, search the internet for examples but it is what it is. These cheap boosters are the reason I was banned from Personal View. The cheap ones were being sold over there when we knew they sucked and I was very vocal about it, thus getting banned.
                I find the sharpness is pretty good with the adapter I have, it's just sensitive to very bright light. Do you know if there is an aftermarket coating I can apply to it? Maybe take it to an optician?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by federer_express View Post
                  I find the sharpness is pretty good with the adapter I have, it's just sensitive to very bright light. Do you know if there is an aftermarket coating I can apply to it? Maybe take it to an optician?
                  Why not try a quality variable ND fader.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
                    Why not try a quality variable ND fader.
                    I ordered one in the fall, but it was the wrong thread size, so I just used it on another lens. I tried some tests with it by placing it in front of the lens and shooting a household lamp into it, but I was still getting the flare. On a normal sunny day though, the ND may help. I think I'll try again with if it there aren't any other suggestions.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Maybe an example.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by federer_express View Post
                        I find the sharpness is pretty good with the adapter I have, it's just sensitive to very bright light. Do you know if there is an aftermarket coating I can apply to it? Maybe take it to an optician?
                        Cheap adapters have cheap coatings. That's it. That's the trade off. Why would you waste the money to sent it to some sort of optician to have them recoat it? You would spend more money than a new RJ Booster. Though I'm 99% positive that's not even a thing. Even with ND you will have the blue spot and flaring, maybe to a lesser extent. We can go on and on but this subject has been discussed for a year now. I'm sorry but there's nothing you can do but by a better quality adapter.

                        My suggestion, turn it into a paper weight and buy the new RJ one that Roman has. It looks amazing for the price. If I didn't already have both Metabones and couldn't afford one, I would buy the RJ.

                        Some good reading.

                        http://www.personal-view.com/talks/d...lable#Item_176

                        http://personal-view.com/talks/discu...o-m43-adapters

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Really happy with my Metabones.
                          If you're going to use a super quality camera (I'm shooting raw) it makes sense to use high quality components with it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                            Cheap adapters have cheap coatings. That's it. That's the trade off. Why would you waste the money to sent it to some sort of optician to have them recoat it? You would spend more money than a new RJ Booster. Though I'm 99% positive that's not even a thing. Even with ND you will have the blue spot and flaring, maybe to a lesser extent. We can go on and on but this subject has been discussed for a year now. I'm sorry but there's nothing you can do but by a better quality adapter.

                            My suggestion, turn it into a paper weight and buy the new RJ one that Roman has. It looks amazing for the price. If I didn't already have both Metabones and couldn't afford one, I would buy the RJ.

                            Some good reading.

                            http://www.personal-view.com/talks/d...lable#Item_176

                            http://personal-view.com/talks/discu...o-m43-adapters
                            I'm very satisfied with the IQ indoors and in the shade. I actually have an EOS Chinese adapter too which I bought for my Canon glass. It does not have the same issue in bright sunlight, so I'm thinking of using that outdoors instead. With my non-manual glass, I'd just use the variable ND filter I have.

                            Originally posted by chrisso View Post
                            Really happy with my Metabones.
                            If you're going to use a super quality camera (I'm shooting raw) it makes sense to use high quality components with it.
                            This is true. But buying an adapter that is same price as the camera?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by federer_express View Post

                              This is true. But buying an adapter that is same price as the camera?
                              The Metabone speedbooster should be viewed in the context of a lens or more rightly so increasing your lens collection rather than just an adapter. Also think of it as changing the sensor of your camera into a lowlight beast so what we have here is a BMCC or BMPCC with somethng close to having a S35 sensor.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X