Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SD card $77.95 at B&H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SD card $77.95 at B&H

The Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB SD card is $77.95 at B&H. This is the definitive raw shooter card. You can use the slower Sandisk Extreme cards for Prores. The 64 GB version of that card is on sale for $39.95.

Amazon also has the Extreme Pro card on sale but they use "frustration free" packaging. With the counterfeiting concerns I have I went with the B&H offer... I assume they come in regular packaging.

There really is no reason to buy nonapproved cards this Thanksgiving!

I got a card from amazon the other week, no discount, but I was on a shoot and it dropped frames after several seconds of shooting in every single codec on the pocket cam. Now that you mentioned it, it was in the "frustration free packing" and the label looks every so slightly different from my working cards. Guess I'm returning it for the B&H version. Stay away from the amazon version of this card people.

Comment

Originally posted by Connor_R View Post
      I got a card from amazon the other week, no discount, but I was on a shoot and it dropped frames after several seconds of shooting in every single codec on the pocket cam. Now that you mentioned it, it was in the "frustration free packing" and the label looks every so slightly different from my working cards. Guess I'm returning it for the B&H version. Stay away from the amazon version of this card people.
      Yeah, it seems to be a pretty common dupe on Amazon and E-Bay these days for people to make fake Extreme Pro labels and put them on cheaper cards around 45 to 80 speed since MOST people who buy Extreme Pro actually don't need it and would never even notice. But of course us BMCUsers will notice immediately as we actually require it.

Personally, SD cards and hard drives are something I always buy locally at an established chain or store. Sure it costs a few more bucks, but I know I'm getting the real brand, and in my experience the rate of 'duds' for memory (cards and drives) is pretty high (around 1 in 20 or so just don't run as advertised in my experience) and it's nice to be able to do a same-day in store exchange, especially when I'm on a timeline.

As far as buying online, B&H does have a good track record and that is a really great price!
      Last edited by JuMo; 11-27-2014, 11:32 PM.

Comment

The beautiful part about it is that most stores will price match B&H.

I don't plan on going out today, but your point about buying locally at an established store is a very good one.

The B&H sale is through the end of the weekend, so I'll probably head to a best buy and have them price match it tomorrow or Sunday.

The best way of testing is just recording onto them and playing back looking for dropped frames? Or is there a test utility somewhere to get true read/write on SD cards?

Comment

The Recording indicator on the screen will begin to flash when the camera has dropped frames.

Comment

Originally posted by homestar_kevin View Post
            The beautiful part about it is that most stores will price match B&H.
            The best way of testing is just recording onto them and playing back looking for dropped frames? Or is there a test utility somewhere to get true read/write on SD cards?
            CHDK can also do SD card benchmark tests too. If you're not familiar, it's the Canon Hack Development Kit and it preceded Magic Lantern (focussing on Canon point and shoots), but you can take advantage of some of the features in CHDK even if you don't do any Canon hacking.

I've also read about an Android app called 'SD Card Tester', but I've never used it, so I don't know much about it other than it claims to benchmark speeds for SD and MicroSD cards, but it might be worth looking into if you're an Android user.
            Last edited by JuMo; 11-28-2014, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Good to know!

I'll be picking up 2 64 gigs this weekend.

They'll actually be the first that will be suitable for my pocket camera.

I bought it during the b&h specials and none of my SD cards are fast enough for it.

This is the last piece so I"m glad I'll finally be up and rolling

Comment

Working...
              X