ND and Polarizing filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND and Polarizing filters

Perhaps not the place to post this question but; what about mixing ND filters with polarizers? can you use a vaiable ND filter for instance together with a Polarizing filter? sorry if it's a stupid question.

anyone ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bxl View Post
      Perhaps not the place to post this question but; what about mixing ND filters with polarizers? can you use a vaiable ND filter for instance together with a Polarizing filter? sorry if it's a stupid question.
      You can use conventional ND and polarizer filters together, no problem, has been done for decades.

Using a variable ND, which is two polarizer filters sandwiched together, plus a conventional polarizer filter (3 polarizers in total!) will result in severe optical artifacts. Could be a cool effect I suppose, but generally not desirable.
      www.peterdv.com
      Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

ND filters and Variable ND filters are two different things. If you mix normal ND or ND/IR filters with Pola, no problem. But a variable ND filter is already two polarizing filters stacked together, and adding a third Pola is going to cause some issues.

EDIT: Beat me to it, Peter.

Comment

Thanks a lot...
          Found this thing... looks great
          http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/letu...ndard-kit.html

Comment

Bxl, if you just want ND and pola why buy a matte box? Buy 77mm circular filters and step down rings if you have smaller lenses. The best variable ND on the market is the Heliopan and costs 1/4 the price of a good build matte box.

Comment

Is the Schneider not superior to the Heliopan?

Comment

I havent tried them side by side but from the photo forums it seems like the helipan is the current leader. Not a lot in it though.

Comment

Working...
                X