Seamless follow focus rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seamless follow focus rings

I saw that there was a guy on eBay who was making these follow focus rings, and apparently he just 3d prints them. Which led me to look into doing it myself. Turns out it's very simple. I'm not here to try and take anybody's business away, but if you're looking to save a few bucks, hit me up and I can design it for you and you can have it printed at your local 3d shop. You're welcome to send me a few dollars for designing it, but not necessary. This is for a Nikon 100mm AIS lens. It's a .08 pitch gear.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5h...it?usp=sharing

IMG_20140908_093229379_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140908_204830845_HDR.jpg
    Last edited by Park Edwards; 09-08-2014, 06:53 PM.

How are you securing it to the focus ring?

Comment

Just wiggle it on and it sticks in place. It's designed so it sits firmly onto the ring. Say the focus ring on your has a diameter of 60mm, you make the gear just a hair bigger and it'll secure itself on the lens.

I'll post a video or picture of it on the lens. I just had this printed yesterday and hadn't had time to set it up.
      Last edited by Park Edwards; 09-08-2014, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Nice!
        Álex Montoya on IMDB
        https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0600257/

Comment

Yes, helicoptersean and yes, you are taking his business. He's been very cool to many of us and personally, I think this is kind of shitty on your part.

Comment

Dunno how. I'm not selling anything. Didn't reverse engineer anything. He's just 3d printing them. This isn't rocket science by any means. All this information readily exists on the internet. I'm not profiting in any way and just sharing what I know. But you're entitled to have that opinion and sorry you feel that way.

Comment

I agree. No IP breach, so far game. film3r didn't steal anything, he only utilised an exisiting technology legitimately. Vic, if your "rules" rule then it's a slippery slope going forward. In that case 3d printing itself would have a one off application per product category and therefore dead in the water.

It might be that helicoptersean is the Jedai of lens rings and as such deserves any business he gets but this should not preclude others from making the same product. Their right to do so resides in their own process and efforts to create the end product.

Besides, helicoptersean won't ship OS (or at least that was his position initially), so it was only a matter of time before he would be challenged and as a non US based potential customer, the accessibility and efficency (i.e no postage) of film3r's offer is attractive and I reserve the right to take him up on it.
              The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                Yes, helicoptersean and yes, you are taking his business. He's been very cool to many of us and personally, I think this is kind of shitty on your part.
                Sorry 'vicharris' but we do live in a free world and free to choose who and where we buy from....

It's called FREE ENTERPRISE.

Comment

What a huge pile of **** there is nothing ****y about this whatsoever, and indeed sean will not do custom gears for people outside the US, or are you suggesting that only US citizens should have somewhere to get printed gears ?
                  What a completely stupid response to a generous offer.

Film3r brilliant stuff, thank you and i will be in contact (im in the uk and cant use sean anyway ffs)
                  Oh no Vic thinks i'm a newb

Comment

I'd be interested, how much? Anything to save money unlike some.

Comment

Originally posted by Flexinoodle View Post
                      What a huge pile of **** there is nothing ****y about this whatsoever, and indeed sean will not do custom gears for people outside the US, or are you suggesting that only US citizens should have somewhere to get printed gears ?
                      What a completely stupid response to a generous offer.

Film3r brilliant stuff, thank you and i will be in contact (im in the uk and cant use sean anyway ffs)
                      Well said. I get so tired of fanboys and their child-isms.

Comment

Originally posted by f1lm3r View Post
                        Just wiggle it on and it sticks in place. It's designed so it sits firmly onto the ring. Say the focus ring on your has a diameter of 60mm, you make the gear just a hair bigger and it'll secure itself on the lens.
                        Actually it should be made a hair smaller if it is made from Delrin, the the ring is heated up, then it slips over the focus barrel easily, it stays tight after it cools off.

Comment

I'm entitled to my opinion as are you. Have a great day gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffen O'Leary View Post
                            Well said. I get so tired of fanboys and their child-isms.
                            Listen here "Tiffen" this is by no means fanboy behavior and your misuse of the word clearly demonstrates that you have no idea how to properly use a word you hear regurgitated on forums over and over again like a talking point on FOX News. So chill the hell out whoever you are.

Comment

Originally posted by f1lm3r View Post
                              Dunno how. I'm not selling anything. Didn't reverse engineer anything. He's just 3d printing them. This isn't rocket science by any means. All this information readily exists on the internet. I'm not profiting in any way and just sharing what I know. But you're entitled to have that opinion and sorry you feel that way.
                              Hey man, didn't realize you were giving these away. It seemed like you were just selling them for less and that contridicted your statement of not taking business away from anyone. My bad dude. Be prepared for many of them to not fit right and people letting you know. Many of Seans gears don't fit just right but he'll always send a new one for free till it's right.

And all you newbies need to chill the hell out quick.

Comment

Working...
                              X