No announcement yet.

Seamless follow focus rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am yet you receive my test gear (.25mm resolution), but based on the manufacturer's feedback on strength tests, he feels that .3mm may be feasible, and cheaper. We're only talking $3-4 so no big deal in that regard.

In terms of aesthetics, he acetone treats them and polishes them (which may be over the top). I'll report back; probably after the weekend.
    The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Comment

would this sort of focus ring work with native m43 lenses with electronic "manual focus" rings....or will they be too tight?

Comment

Originally posted by jak3fx View Post
        would this sort of focus ring work with native m43 lenses with electronic "manual focus" rings....or will they be too tight?
        They will work with any lens.

Comment

Just wanted to chime in and give 3 thumbs up for Seamless gears. I have one on my Sigma 18-35 and Tamron 24-70. Both have work extremely well so far and I haven't experience any slippage yet
          http://www.somnangvann.com/
          https://vimeo.com/somnang

Comment

Originally posted by Somnang View Post
            Just wanted to chime in and give 3 thumbs up for Seamless gears. I have one on my Sigma 18-35 and Tamron 24-70. Both have work extremely well so far and I haven't experience any slippage yet
            Awesome. Did you get them printed locally?

Comment

Originally posted by f1lm3r View Post
              Awesome. Did you get them printed locally?

No, I bought them via eBay from the seller. He ships it fast though. This will be my go to focus gears if I ever get anymore lens.
              http://www.somnangvann.com/
              https://vimeo.com/somnang

Comment

Originally posted by Somnang View Post
                No, I bought them via eBay from the seller. He ships it fast though. This will be my go to focus gears if I ever get anymore lens.
                Right on.

Comment

I had mine made at the Makerbot store in NYC. The first one was too large, so I remeasured, and made one that was just a little too tight. Not a big deal though, because I was able to sand it down to fit! Took about 45 minutes to print, and only cost me $20.

My only issue is that it doesn't feel smooth at all. Granted, I have a really cheap, crappy follow focus, and the previous ring was made of rubber, so it probably absorbed some of the friction better. I'm considering spray painting this with a gloss coat to smooth out the surface a bit, but overall, it does work. Shapeways allows you to print flexible, rubber-like objects, but they're only made in off-white color, so I'm not sure I want to go down that path. If someone can report back on a proper FF (with a metal pitch gear), I'd love to hear if I should continue printing these up.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I've received and tested my .25mm resolution gear. It had been acetone treated. I can't really recommend acetone treating as it comes out far too glossy (the teeth may be OK, but not the other surfaces ). I ended up cutting the gloss back with sandpaper and then re-polishing with increasing grades of 3M polishing cloths until the gloss level matched the lens barrell.

I have a Trusmt FF which is reknown for its non slip gear box and the movement with the printed ABS gear is smooth and solid.

I have a .1mm resolution gear coming, hopefully tomorrow, and will report back the comparison testing with the .25mm soon. In both cases the general sizes were 80mm OD with about a 63.5mm bore and 15mm thick with .8mod pitch gears. The cost was AUD22 (equiv USD 20) and AUD 30 (USD 27) respectively (including postage within Australia). Basically it equates to a saving of up to USD32 per gear if you include international postage. Having said that, if helicoptersean is sending replacement gears at no cost if they don't fit, then his is a good deal and may, to some extent explain his pricing. As this process is hit an miss to some extent and my supplier is only a couple of hours away, I am more than happy with placing my order locally.

Comment

Sweet catscratch. Yeah, I'd stay away from acetone plastic. It's just too damn shiny. Regarding your gear Doug, it's possible you have a good follow focus, but the printer that produced your gear may have been crappy. It's also possible that you don't have the correct measurements. Hard to say. I have a Kamerar follow focus and it works great with the printed gears.

Comment

Originally posted by f1lm3r View Post
                        Sweet catscratch. Yeah, I'd stay away from acetone plastic. It's just too damn shiny. Regarding your gear Doug, it's possible you have a good follow focus, but the printer that produced your gear may have been crappy. It's also possible that you don't have the correct measurements. Hard to say. I have a Kamerar follow focus and it works great with the printed gears.
                        I have my doubts on the FF being good since it's a cheap plastic one. On the other hand though, would you be able to tell me what material you get yours printed with? I believe Makerbot uses PLA, and there's no polishing involved, so it *is* rough. I actually tried bathing mine in acetone and then using acrylic floor polish in hopes of reducing friction, and the result is almost negligible.

Comment

PLA is biodigradable plastic so I'd imagine, over time, it's just going to get rougher (at least until it decomposes into dust). It might also explain why there is no effect by acetone exposure.

Get them printed in ABS. 3D printing is basically depositing layers of molten plastic to form a shape so degrees of "roughness" depend on the print resolution (and even then a coarse resolution print can be hand finished to an acceptable level).

Depending on size and shape, the finer the resolution then theoretically the stonger it will be, although In the case of lens FF gears, the optimum (i.e cost vs acceptable strength) is still under investigation. My feeling at the moment is that if you have a metal drving gear on your folllow focus and heavy lenses then you might be safer with a .1mm print. For the last couple of days I have been extensively testing a .25mm printed gear with an ABS FF drive wheel and so far it has handled the racking without issues (on a metal barrel zoom lens that weighs 1kg!).

Forget acetone finishing on ABS, it's far too shiny, and finish by hand with reducing strengths of adrasive paper and cloths (assuming your manufacturer won't finish them for you or the cost is unacceptable).

Comment

I tried to reach helicoptersean but no response for a seamless 17-50 tamron focus gear. Has anyone had one printed for this particular lens, as mine is VC and the focus ring is so short?

Comment

ABS 3D printed gears are OK, but they can not compare to professionally machined Delrin gears that are machine cut, not printed. The difference is from OK smooth to "silky" smooth performance. You get what you pay for. I will continue to,let Matt Duclos "cut" my gears, never a fit issue, gears will last the lifetime of the lens, if not abused, and will take a bigger beating than ABS gears will.
                              Cheers

Comment

I followed Park's instructions and got great results with a 3D printer. Very straightforward -- I've never used a 3d program before. I do have one lens with a Duclos-created Delrin plastic ring, and it's true that the ABS is not as pretty, but it is VERY sturdy and I have no problem believing these will withstand the rigors of production for years to come. At less than 1/5 the cost, it's worth it and then some.

IMG_2622.jpg
                                director and photographer: raafirivero.com | thecolormachine.com

Comment

Working...
                                X