• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URSA Beta Footage

Hey guys,

Here's some URSA EF footage from me:

https://vimeo.com/104918710

From the description:

This is a collection of footage i've shot with a beta unit of the Blackmagic URSA (EF mount) over the last few weeks.

Disclaimer: I now work for Blackmagic Design but this video was produced the same way as my previous beta videos, and is definitely not some kind of 'official' demo video. Its just a collection of personal footage i've shot while getting to know the camera recently. - Hook

I originally tried to upload an UHD Prores LT, but it failed at 88%. I will continue to try and replace the current file but even if not, i still recommend downloading the 1080 Prores LT version - the motion looks a little 'funny' on vimeo.

This was all shot using ONLY the built in 10" screen for composing/focus and most of the time it was just Danelle and I grabbing footage, i really wanted to see if this bigger camera could still be used like the much smaller BMD ones without a crew etc. The only exception to this being some music video footage, but that was also a tiny crew of 3 of us involving me as director/dop/gaffer with Johnathan Guest from Halcyon Digital being camera/lighting assist, as well as DIT and dolly grip !!

The rest is friends doing us favours and getting footage while on holiday to celebrate our 10 year anniversary in Queenstown. Carrying around the URSA, lenses, and tripod on ski slopes was tiring and hard work and not much of a holiday! I also almost dropped the camera off the side of a friends mini speed boat while trying to hold it up to get footage going down the river. :-P

HUGE thanks to:
    Blackmagic Design
    Jeremy and Julian McPike
    Jim Pollard
    Todd Columb and his freerunning friends
    Jayden and Ange Keoghan
    Sound The Ocean
    Johnathan Guest
    Chelsea and Michelle Barns
    Tracey Bourgeois
    and of course my much better half for the last 10 years - Danelle !!

Edited and Graded in DaVinci Resolve 11

Mostly shot at 60fps Prores 422HQ in camera and conformed to 24fps.

LENSES: Sigma 18-35/1.8 Art, Sigma 50/1.4 Art, Canon 70-200/2.8L II IS
    Hoya ProNDs and Tiffen VariND+Hoya IR Cut
    Schneider Hollywood Blackmagic 1/4 and Tiffen Soft FX 1

MUSIC: "By Your Side" - used with permission from Alan Poettcker of "The Runaway Club"
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

nice hook.
    instagram
    my work

Comment

Some lovely footage Hook, thanks for sharing! Great work, I'm definitly reconsider my first opinions, i want one!

Comment

Looks good. Makes me want to shoot everything slowmo.
        Actor, Filmmaker
        my website

Comment

Great, thanks! :-)
          Blackmagic Design
          My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Nice work Hook, question, how visible was the 10'' screen in the bright sunlight for the shots in the snow? Did you need to use some sort of sunshade?

Comment

..Looks great, thanks for the effort and sharing
              @bokehtv

Comment

looks great

Comment

Must admit 60fps with global shutter is nice.
                  If 60fps in 10s burst mode is possible on the BMPC would be great.

Comment

Btw Hook, I really like the music video footage. Did you used a Schneider or Tiffen filter?

Comment

Well done, Hook!
                      I would expect great images from a BM camera in your hands, but knowing you actually used the URSA as a "one-man-army" (well, two...), is good to know.
                      That you also only used the 10" is reassuring, Im getting more and more eye problems after using a loupe or EVF for a whole day...

Comment

Absolutely stunning, probably some of the best BM footage to date! I love the grade the flow of the edit and your shots are insane. I want to play with this camera now!

Comment

so nice to see real slow-motion from a Blackmagic camera!

Comment

Have you experienced any weird noise like the Production Camera?

Comment

Very nice shooting Hook! The music video looks interesting- look forward to seeing the whole thing.
                              fluoro.com

Comment

Working...
                              X