No announcement yet.

Will this C-Mount to MFT adapter work??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this C-Mount to MFT adapter work??

Hey Guys I currently am shooting with a GH2. I am looking at getting a BMPCC within the next couple of months. I bought a c-mount to MFT adapter for my GH2 and it works flawlessly. I was wondering if it will work with the BMPCC? I am asking because I have heard that some adapters will stick on the camera and others will not. I would hate to put the wrong adapter on it. Any help on this would be awesome.

Thanks,
    Paul20140413_125836.jpg
    Z Cam E2, Panasonic GH5, BMPCC and a little Canon EOS-M shooting 14 bit RAW 🙂
    Small set of MMJ Contax Zeiss prime lenses
    Full set of Canon FD SSC lenses
    Set of Meike T2.2 cinema lenses
    Small set of Russian prime lenses

Yeah, that should work. The only issue you may run into, is if you plan to put a cage around your BMPCC. The clearance on some cages i.e. ViewFactor's Continuo Cage - is a little tight, but still doable.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/groups/cmountm43/

Comment

I had an adapter that looked identical to that one and didn't work, the ears weren't deep enough. I got one branded pixco on ebay for a couple bucks and it worked fine.

Comment

Worzel thnks for the link. I am actually a member on that group and friends with Gan :-)
          Z Cam E2, Panasonic GH5, BMPCC and a little Canon EOS-M shooting 14 bit RAW 🙂
          Small set of MMJ Contax Zeiss prime lenses
          Full set of Canon FD SSC lenses
          Set of Meike T2.2 cinema lenses
          Small set of Russian prime lenses

Comment

I have a Fotga branded adapter like that and it does not fit on the pocket camera.
            I would not worry though, as the adapter that I have that does not fit, I don't think I would be able to force them on at all. I can not turn them at all, so it is not even close to locking into place.

You can just get a couple of different c-mount adapters and see which ones works best as there is quite the difference in back focus between many lenses.
            One lens and adapter combination reached infinity on my GH2, but I had to get another adapter of ebay to reach infinity on the pocket camera.
            Many of them only cost a couple of quid any way.
            Haavard Helle

Comment

Yeah, you can either buy cheap adapters and try them out until one fits. Or you get a Metabones for more money and it'll fit to the camera right away.
              But independent of that some lenses will need modification to reach infinity, i.e. machining down the rim of the rear.

Comment

For me the easyest and fastest way was to get a cheap but solid adapter that was almost flat apart from the very outer rim. I then just grinded it down untill it was flat and the adapter kan now hold any C-mount with infinity focus no matter how wide the base of the lens is.
                That way I dont have to shom the lens which effect resail value.

wp-20140114-002.jpg
                Youtube
                Videos, Tests, Tutorials, Reviews and so on : https://www.youtube.com/user/mattiasburling

Comment

Some of my expensive adapters including Metabones had to go back in the box once I started using the Blackmagic cameras.
                  I tried to adjust the infinity focus, but several lenses needed focus adjustments and thinner adapters to work.

Adapters like Metabones are wonderful on a Canon camera, but they can be just as hit and miss on cameras with very strict tolerance levels as many of the cheaper adapters.

When it comes to CCTV lenses, you'll just have to try a few to you find an adapter that gives you infinity focus and it doesn't hurt to have a couple of extra adapters to try out if you ever pick up another lens or two.
                  Haavard Helle

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse-Tuta View Post
                    For me the easyest and fastest way was to get a cheap but solid adapter that was almost flat apart from the very outer rim. I then just grinded it down untill it was flat and the adapter kan now hold any C-mount with infinity focus no matter how wide the base of the lens is.
                    That way I dont have to shom the lens which effect resail value.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9967[/ATTACH]
                    Can you elaborate on your technique? I thought the issue with C-Mount adapters was that the inner diameters are usually too small, so that lenses with a wider base can't screw down all the way. I don't understand how sanding the adapter down would help since the inner diameter remains the same. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kin869 View Post
                      Can you elaborate on your technique? I thought the issue with C-Mount adapters was that the inner diameters are usually too small, so that lenses with a wider base can't screw down all the way. I don't understand how sanding the adapter down would help since the inner diameter remains the same. Thanks.
                      Of course I cant speak for all the lenses out there but for me the problem with C-mounts not going to infinity has been that they are to far from the sensor. By grinding the adapter totaly flat they come closer to the sensor.
                      My flat adapter is now flush against the cameramount with only a mm of material, schiming the lens wouldnt make it come any closer because then the lens would have to go into the camera body and then the adapter would also have to sit inside the camera.
                      Thats why I looked for a really solid steal adapter, so the thin fabric can still suport alot of weight.

Again, there are countless C-mounts so maybe there are some built in a way that I havent come across, but so far all that I have tested have worked this way.
                      Youtube
                      Videos, Tests, Tutorials, Reviews and so on : https://www.youtube.com/user/mattiasburling

Comment

Of course I cant speak for all the lenses out there but for me the problem with C-mounts not going to infinity has been that they are to far from the sensor. By grinding the adapter totaly flat they come closer to the sensor.
                        My flat adapter is now flush against the cameramount with only a mm of material, schiming the lens wouldnt make it come any closer because then the lens would have to go into the camera body and then the adapter would also have to sit inside the camera.
                        Thats why I looked for a really solid steal adapter, so the thin fabric can still suport alot of weight.

Again, there are countless C-mounts so maybe there are some built in a way that I havent come across, but so far all that I have tested have worked this way.
                        Gotcha, that makes sense. Which C-Mount adapter do you have?

Comment

Of course I cant speak for all the lenses out there but for me the problem with C-mounts not going to infinity has been that they are to far from the sensor. ...
                          That's funny, because I have the opposite experience. Maybe because my c-mount experience is with S-16 film lenses, not CCTV lenses. I have 2 Schneider Cinegons and a Bell&Howell (Cooke). I have three ciecio7 c -> MFT adapters and a Metabones c-> MFT. With either adapter the lenses needed to be shimmed to be FARTHER from the sensor in order to make the witness marks (including infinity) accurate. (That is, they reached infinity before shimming, but way before the mark). I cut my own shims from brass shim stock. The shim stacks are from .003 to .007 inches or .08 to .18 mm thick.

As far as tolerances and fit, even my three ciecio7's (which are supposed to be premium, and which I think he no longer bothers to make) all fit to my BMPCC MFT mount slightly differently: nice and tight; tight; and very tight. I'd bet the difference is no more than .001 inch, but because they are not perfectly identical, I shimmed each lens to an adapter and leave it on that adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by kin869 View Post
                            Gotcha, that makes sense. Which C-Mount adapter do you have?
                            The adapter is from Kiwi Photo, I have very mixed experiences with their adapters but their C-Mount is very solid as is their Contax-EF.
                            (their contax-m4/3 was bad so I now go Contax-EF-MFT on the pocket.)

wp-20140114-002.jpg

The lens that started it all was the Sony/Tamron 18-108/2.5 after that I used the adapters for all my C-mounts.

wp-20140111-003.jpg

wp-20140114-004.jpg

Originally posted by Steve Wake View Post
                            That's funny, because I have the opposite experience...
                            Thats good info if I run into one that it doesnt work on, the c-mounts can be a bit of a jungle IMO.
                            Youtube

Comment

My fotodiox adapter need a .012" shim for the majority of my old Bolex lenses to focus correctly. Many of the lenses still vignette a bit but cropping to eliminate that isn't going to lose a ton of resolution, especially shooting raw. I also have an Arri standard adapter which allows me to use the lenses from my Arri 2C and that works flawlessly. I have some old Cookes and an Angenieux 25-250. Super retro.

Comment

Working...
                              X