Couple of really bad commericals I shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of really bad commericals I shot

Here's a couple really bad commercials I shot. I had no idea what the product or company was and all I did was hand of the footage at the end of the day. Funny as these are meant for broadcast. We'll see if the pass QC. And yes, the check cleared

Poor girl!

All lighting was 3200K. They didn't have a single 5600K light source in the whole studio. Not ideal at all for greenscreen and it shows.

Password:vid1

Password:vid2

I like how cheesy these are. They remind me of a fake advert you might see within a film!

I think the green screen looks good!

Comment

I've seen much, much worse green screen work being approved.

Now that it's been mentioned, it does remind me a bit of the awesomely slick-but-believably-cheesy fake advert work Foreign Office did for Children of Men.

telecinese.com twitter vimeo

Comment

Looks fine to me. Tungsten not looking bad at all there. Most annoying thing to me is when she says "anyway" in BOTH
        Darren Scott
        Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Looks good, and whatever pays the bills or allows for personal creative endeavors. I work during the day doing videos at a tech company. Fortunately it pays well enough to be able to buy my own gear and do personal projects without having to raise money.

Comment

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
            Most annoying thing to me is when she says "anyway" in BOTH
            Yeah, both spots are poorly directed. You should have helped her be more natural on camera, because the end result is spectacularly bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Huff View Post
              Yeah, both spots are poorly directed. You should have helped her be more natural on camera, because the end result is spectacularly bad.
              This.......

Transition graphics look good, edit is nice. What really threw me off was the lighting, imo I think warmer lighting or possible grade would have looked better/natural. Also some rough key parts around her hair edges.

Overall though if it pays the bills, that's a good thing. I'm sure next time you will do things differently
              Peace

Comment

Once again guys, not my job. I was there to light, hit the red button and keep it in focus. Anything other than that to include, directing, grading or keying, out of my control. Yes I agree she's bad and she was lit with 3200k lights and shot in raw. It's just the way they went.

Comment

I dunno..but I had no problem with the look so to me you are in the clear...its everything else as you mentioned already Vic. And to be honest i was expecting ALOT worse after reading what you said Vic
                  Darren Scott

Comment

Hey Vic, it's a shame whoever did the post work. That's what typically happens when you have an editor pretending to be a compositor and a motion graphics artist and a colorist. I understand budgets keep getting tighter and tighter and keep asking less and less people to do the work of many. It's a sad example of the current state of the industry for many. Leads me to wonder if these were even the best takes chosen. I know it's out of your hands so it's not a comment on you just a comment on what happens when corners are cut.

Comment

I actually give you ratings ("props) for showing it (although i dont think its that bad)...but I have some work i call my bastard children. Where I just DP alone with no other involvement and its horrifying how badly people can mess up my footage. I mean truly surprising ...and I'm left wondering WHY oh WHY did they hire me if they are just gonna mess up the footage. I hate it so much. Hence why i try to keep everything I shoot so if and when I do a reel i can grade it how I want to. Those bastard children aint seeing NO light (apart from local broadcast)...they are not going on the net ...well won't be posted by me at least.
                      Last edited by jambredz; 06-03-2014, 12:03 PM.
                      Darren Scott

Comment

I'm usually pretty comfortable being in tiny-sized projects where I shoot AND edit and color and everything else. If nothing else, I shoot with the editor in mind and trust he'll know what I intended to do with the shot.
                        telecinese.com twitter vimeo

Comment

Originally posted by vicharris View Post
                          Once again guys, not my job. I was there to light, hit the red button and keep it in focus. Anything other than that to include, directing, grading or keying, out of my control. Yes I agree she's bad and she was lit with 3200k lights and shot in raw. It's just the way they went.
                          Well, that's very odd, considering you basically said the same thing that I just did to that guy who posted the interview sample with the GH3 and the Rokinon 85mm on Vimeo that I happened to stumble across a few weeks ago. A video that, unfortunately, has been taken down now, no doubt due in part to your rather scathing critique of how the interviewee was behaving on camera.

Maybe you should be willing to extend the same consideration to others?

Comment

Yeah, didn't mean to sound defensive guys. I responded while I was waiting to go into an audition room so it was brief. I kinda just wanted to make sure the lighting was ok as it was my first greenscreen gig on this camera. And how they didn't have ANY 5600k lights at the studio which just baffled me. I would like to defend the director because he did try and I have worked with him on a feature and he was very good with all the actors. We shot the shit out of her. I think it was her first gig cause a few others fell through. Not sure since all I did was show up.

Anyways here's another one that I really think is bad. Same lighting but there's a huge problem with the dudes hand when he's strumming the ipad like a guitar. Now not being too familiar with faster speed greeenscreen work, should this have been shot in 30p and converted to whatever they wanted to lessen that blur and bad key effect? Or is it just a bad key job? This was done by a different post house than the first two? Wish I could get some higher res versions. All these are already down to 20MB.

Password: vid3

Comment

Well, that's very odd, considering you basically said the same thing that I just did to that guy who posted the interview sample with the GH3 and the Rokinon 85mm on Vimeo that I happened to stumble across a few weeks ago. A video that, unfortunately, has been taken down now, no doubt due in part to your rather scathing critique of how the interviewee was behaving on camera.

Maybe you should be willing to extend the same consideration to others?
                              Care to enlighten me sir? I have no idea what you're talking about?
                              And if I did say the same things as was said to me, did the OP explain how he was just there to record and light? If so did I respond back with anything else? I'm very interested here.

Comment

Working...
                              X