X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMPC4K & GH4 real world footage comparison

Download here:
    https://vimeo.com/93226003

Mostly GH4 in the beginning, Skip to about 4:00 for the two cams.

Interesting. The resolution drop was a little jarring during the slo mo.

Comment

love the wedge

Comment

4K YouTube version is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJzW_6Pd7uE

Comment

The GH4 is shaper but I still think the the BMCC has more of a film look. It's a tiny bit softer and the colours are a little bit more flat (this of course could your grading).

I also noticed that the wake has some blue/green tinges in them on the BMCC where as the GH4 they are all white, once again it could be your grading.

Comment

Its really hard to tell them apart.

Comment

Clipped highlights in the crashing waves and reflections look REALLY rough on the Bmpc. Really stark and slightly magenta colored. Hopefully this could have been avoided by stopping down a bit, but I fear this scene just required too much DR.

Comment

Was this with the internal recording on the gh4 or with the external? If it's internal I'm selling my gh3 and getting a gh4 instead of a pocket...

Comment

Originally posted by fahnon View Post
                  Was this with the internal recording on the gh4 or with the external? If it's internal I'm selling my gh3 and getting a gh4 instead of a pocket...
                  Highly doubt it was external. You would only want a external recorder if you wanted to record 4k in raw.

Here's another video done with the GH4, best I've seen yet.

Compare this to the BMPCC

Like some of the comments in the video are saying, I still think the BMCC has a more film-like look to it and has a bit more dynamic range.

I'm still trying to decide whether to get a BMPCC or a GH4. The decision is pretty hard, but I'm still leaning toward the Pocket Camera.
                  Last edited by Woop; 04-30-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I got a GH4 last week and I can say that its nearly perfect in most of my shooting situations. With that being said, I am not getting rid of my BMPCC. It has a special look and no doubt I'll turn to it in certain situations.

Comment

My decision is colored by already owning a BMCC and currently having a gh3 as a bcam. If I didn't already have a BMCC, I'd probably go pocket. But now it's a choice between having a backup of the same thing I'm using as my main camera or getting something that actually adds capabilities.

The pocket does have that really cool stealth factor looking like a p&s, though.
                      Last edited by fahnon; 05-01-2014, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I can't believe people take the GH4 seriously

Originally posted by Woop View Post
                        Highly doubt it was external. You would only want a external recorder if you wanted to record 4k in raw.

Here's another video done with the GH4, best I've seen yet.

Compare this to the BMPCC

Like some of the comments in the video are saying, I still think the BMCC has a more film-like look to it and has a bit more dynamic range.

I'm still trying to decide whether to get a BMPCC or a GH4. The decision is pretty hard, but I'm still leaning toward the Pocket Camera.

EVERY sky shot in that GH4 comparison that isn't timelapse is garbage. Those skies have NO colour. But you're right in one aspect: that is the best GH4 footage available.
                        And then you compare it to an anamorphic BMPCC video shot entirely at night!

If you need 4K TODAY, then sure the GH4 is a good choice. How many of you have clients or projects that need that say, in the next 6 weeks?
                        Otherwise just be patient. The DR on that cam is HORRIBLE, its videocam-sharp and whatever you do, don't point it at anything green (it lights up very neon).

Finally re price: you can get a used BMCC at almost the EXACT price of the base GH4. Its 5 times the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tierney View Post
                          EVERY sky shot in that GH4 comparison that isn't timelapse is garbage. Those skies have NO colour. But you're right in one aspect: that is the best GH4 footage available.

If you need 4K TODAY, then sure the GH4 is a good choice. How many of you have clients or projects that need that say, in the next 6 weeks?
                          Otherwise just be patient. The DR on that cam is HORRIBLE, its videocam-sharp and whatever you do, don't point it at anything green (it lights up very neon).

Finally re price: you can get a used BMCC at almost the EXACT price of the base GH4. Its 5 times the camera.
                          I think you're exaggerating a bit. Obviously you like the look of BM better but there are different needs for different jobs. There isnt an 8 bit camera out there with better resolution/DR than the GH4. There are trade offs. I can get 2.5 hours of 1080 4:4:4 with one card and 1/4 of battery on a handheld GH4. I can get better DR out of a BM camera but would need to rig it out with external batteries and monitors.
                          I think having both cameras is a dream come true. Covers almost all situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tierney View Post

You might get a Used BMCC for the same Base Price, but you wouldn't be able to actually operate it correctly.........

Poor Screen, Battery + too many Lack of Options

The ONLY advantage Blackmagic has over most cameras is Dynamic Range, but you lose it with Moire and so many basic features that make it so difficult to use the camera. You shouldn't have to fight with your tools.

At the end of the day Blackmagic needs to do a lot of things in the future for it to be more user friendly, great dynamic range but simple things such as not knowing how much space you have left on your recording medium makes no sense.... Blackmagic first generation cameras have no 60fps either, so that just another problem for people who need it for filming slow-mo or sports action.

Comment

The GH4 looks like an awesome corporate/studio cam. I still love my GH3, but sadly it's going as I want to upgrade in the stills world, but I don't understand the hate for the GH4. The image quality is still very good and its pleasant for certain applications. I still love the image of my BMCC more, but I can imagine many times I'd prefer the GH4, or even the GH3, over the BMCC.

Especially on set/studio, just light for 10 stops, and the DR argument becomes less of an issue. Also, 96fps and very underrated stills. Who wouldn't like that?
                              Steve Lee Jean
                              Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X