Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinematic ord not cinematic?

Hi there,

I was posting some landscape photos of my upcoming project a few months ago (short feature film - about 30minutes long).
    I already shot some scenes and I'm trying to achieve a cinematic type of image quality.

As I am not a colorist I would like to hear some feedback.
    The stills are from a childhood-flashback: It should be "warm" and a bit "dreamy".
    http://mediadesign-kaufmann.de/gradi...-movie-project

Shot with BMCC 2,5 MFT and speedbooster.
    Love to hear from you.

For me it looks very cinematic and I like the color too. How did you process the footage (if you don't mind sharing)?

I love the contrast and the black looks really nice on the women and kid's coat.

The skin tone was not too much and I believe you isolate this while pushing the other colors to pop-out of the screen right?

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Looks totally cinematic. What lens?

Not sure about, "warm and a bit dreamy." Maybe more sun / yellow and glare?
      Filmmaker - Author
      https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

Yep, very cinematic! Great looking image you have there!

Comment

Looks great! I would love to know the run down. Lens? Lights?
          Martin Yernazian
          www.imdb.com/name/nm2270693/
          instagram.com/martinyernazian/
          Director/Producer
          www.atorrantefilms.com

Comment

Yes this looks very nice. I didnt know about "short features". Isnt 30 mins still a short film?
            Darren Scott
            Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Thanks for your response! Actually I didn't do a lot.. I used the Sigma 18-35 1.8 for the "wider shots" and the vintage Nikon 50mm 1.8 Ais for the close ups (both with speed booster).. I like both glass a lot.. In Davinci I tweaked exposure, saturation, contrast and color temperature settings. No skin isolation at all..
              First tried Hook LUT and then went for a Kodak LUT. All available light.. But I tried to be aware of light direction in "staging" the actors.. Did it around evening time - helped a lot..
              Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the BMCC with the right glass looks very filmic without a lot of tweaking.. During the last year experimenting with BMCC footage I found out that if you leave some room for the highlights it looks way better than going to full 100 on waveform monitor..
              Also I see a lot of BMCC footage which looks a tad overexposed to me.. making it a bit "darker" (without crushing blacks) sometimes seems a bit more pleasing to the eye..

But thank you so much for your opinions.. I always like to hear some feedback because after a while I loose objectivity..
              Sorry I'm german and don't always know the correct terms.. It would be a short film then .. but we'll see .. maybe it gets longer than 30minutes

Comment

Wow these images look beautiful great work!

Comment

Thank you for the kind words! Appreciate it..

Comment

Can you confirm exactly what Kodak LUT you used and where we could download this?..great images!

Comment

Originally posted by leemack78 View Post
                      Can you confirm exactly what Kodak LUT you used and where we could download this?..great images!
                      Check this out: https://vimeo.com/57785040 I think that's the one I used.. hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Andi1 View Post
                        Check this out: https://vimeo.com/57785040 I think that's the one I used.. hope that helps
                        Oh snap. I'd forgotten about those luts! Thanks for the reminder and yes your shots look great.
                        fluoro.com

Comment

Originally posted by leemack78 View Post
                          Sorry, I didn't read your post properly.. The exact Kodak LUT was the 2383CUSPclip.. hope that helps.. Actually I'd also like to try Frank Glencairn's Kodachrome another time..

Comment

Originally posted by Andi1 View Post
                            Sorry, I didn't read your post properly.. The exact Kodak LUT was the 2383CUSPclip.. hope that helps.. Actually I'd also like to try Frank Glencairn's Kodachrome another time..
                            thanks..where can you get that lut??

sorry just seen its on the same link as the other thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X