Another Frame Grab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin Oller View Post
    Drooling. Just hoping it will be a stable camera. Reliability is key. Do we know anything about start-up times?
    A little off-topic, but in one of the video interviews, a blackmagic rep claims about a 10 sec startup...

Comment

Originally posted by Kholi View Post
      Pretty reasonable concern since the camera does feature ProRes as a recording option. It means that at the very least you'd want to be able to dial kelvin in. Sweeteners would be having the ability to adjust color balance beneath that. I wonder if it adds a considerable amount of work to the GUI and firmware.

You can dial in kelvin, but we need some way to judge the resulting image. A color temperature meter is about one grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Allen View Post

You know that HDCAM - the built in recording format for the Sony F900 (you know, Star Wars, etc) - was 8-bit, right? Not to mention the Panasonic Varicam (DVCProHD 8 bit), etc.

For some reason there is this weird snobbiness about 8-bit - but the main thing is: look at the footage. Is there unnecessary banding introduced in areas that you really want to stretch out?
        I knew about the F900 HD resolution and bit depth, and always wondered how they did it. Wondered how Mr Lucas even considered that camera system. They even cut some pixels in height for the 2.31:1 aspect ratio. I only could explain this with some magic done at ILM, technically it was and still is a bit of a mystery to me. It proves that it's possible if the images are good 'in camera' so to speak.

Actually I wanted to add that I'm a snob, not even touching 'minor' quality images at 8 bit per pixel. Thank you gentlemen for curing me from this misconception.

Concerning CG, I also knew (and made renders myself) about being 8 bit in the past, but there you can juggle with different render passes, and you don't have overblown highlights. Banding and flickering were the only problems that might have occurred.

Today we, or at least some like me, are spoiled by high bit depth and resolution, and tend to forget the obvious. Thanks again to all jpeg-grading artists and advisers for this lesson.

Comment

John,

Can we get a full rez uncompressed frame to play with?

Perhaps something outdoors with bright sun highlights and a lot of contrast?
          Filmmaker - Author
          https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

from what I've gathered, dng's will be available as soon John gets green light from BMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Washington Irving View Post
              The RC podcast is always great and this one has a bit of bmc info it it.
              Rumours of increased frame rates discussed at 46min...

http://www.fxguide.com/therc/the-rc-111-12k-in-transit/
              So basically they hinted that BM 'MAY' be looking at increased framerates but only via a more compressed / degraded image and not likely when recording RAW given the massive data rate it would generate. Still happily take whatever it is they manage to pull off.
              Paul Cook
              Writer | Director | Editor

popfilms.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Green View Post
                Doesn't exist yet. Look at the Apple table of frame rates and frame sizes.

And according to this Avid white paper, DNxHD maxxes out at 1080p, so no 2k or 2.5k coming from them either.

However, I did find an Apple document that actually said ProRes was able to be implemented in nonstandard frame sizes(!) So potentially I guess it could exist. Apple said that if it was a nonstandard frame size you wouldn't be able to play it back in realtime in FCP.
                Want 4K ProRes?- no problem- ffmpeg/ffmbc is your friend. Works like a charm
                Just tried- works fine even on my low end laptop

I would like to see Cineform RAW encoding on BM camera- best currently available recording option in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian@202020 View Post
                  I've done nonstandard sizes realtime in FCP6, FCP7, and FCPX. I've done many shoots with my old AF100 mounted 90 degrees so the frame is vertical, so instead of 1080x1920 I turned them into 1920x1080 ProRes 422(HQ) with MPEG Streamclip. They alway play realtime. I would think if your computer is capable of playing back and edit 4K ProRes realtime, It'd be able to do 2.5K.
                  It can exist, but Apple might not allow a camera using their codec to shoot in non standard frame size.

jb

Comment

Originally posted by Macalincag View Post
                    A little off-topic, but in one of the video interviews, a blackmagic rep claims about a 10 sec startup...
                    Wrong thread to ask this in. BUt yeah it's about 10 seconds.

jb

Comment

• Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                      It can exist, but Apple might not allow a camera using their codec to shoot in non standard frame size.

jb
                      Yes- Apple restricted ProRes to HD size and also restricted bitrate.
                      ffmpeg/ffmbc open ProRes impelmentation removes this restrictions- you can do even 500Mbit ProRes HD or 4K one. All works fine even through QT Apple decoder- at leats on Windows. 4K ProRes on decent machine should be piece of cake- I use GV HQX codec and can do multicam 4x 4K streams in RT, with color correction filter on each camera (with full preview quality)

Just tried- 8K ProRes at 2Gb/sec- no problem at all It just got saturated at abut 1Gbit.
                      Last edited by Andrew_HD; 04-25-2012, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PappasArts View Post
                        Nope. It's flexible.

2.5K & 1920x1080- It would be beneficial if you could choose whether to record the 2.5K frame in Raw or ProRes & DNxHD.

Pappas
                        http://PAPPASARTS.WORDPRESS.COM
                        http://TWITTER.COM/PAPPASARTS

BlackMagic Digital Camera Info Thread: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.ph...mp-Latest-Info
                        This is misleading. It infers the ProRes crops the extra resolution.

Like on Alexa, it SCALES the extra resolution into the 1080 ProRes.

jb

Comment

• Originally posted by Phil999 View Post
                          I knew about the F900 HD resolution and bit depth,
                          Not only the 8 bit image, but it was also pre-filtered down to 1440x1080.

Not even 1920.

Comment

• John, where does your frame sharing stop?

Do you have to ask for each frame and see if it's ok or is everything ok as long as it isn't DNG file?

Comment

• Originally posted by manakiin View Post
                              John, where does your frame sharing stop?

Do you have to ask for each frame and see if it's ok or is everything ok as long as it isn't DNG file?
                              I can post other frames from the sequences you've already seen, but only JPEGS, not DNG's...

jb

Comment

• Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                                Not only the 8 bit image, but it was also pre-filtered down to 1440x1080.

Not even 1920.
                                And compressed quite a lot- it's probably worse than AVC-I 100Mbit.

Comment

Working...
                                X