Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny commercial shot with pocket

Hey everyone!

I recently made a commercial for a PS4 for a contest. Shot it on the pocket camera.
    I'm feeling very hopeful on the outcome of the contest

Pass: superhumans

Let me know what you think!

Looks good, I would have thought something should have happened to the groceries though......

Location is great, actor good and quality is very nice. Solid Job!

Maybe post some details on lenses used and grading
    thanks

Comment

Very very good!

Comment

Awesome!!
        See all my work at
        CKSUNNY.COM

Comment

thanks everyone!

Gimme a week and I can make some breakdowns.
          There was a lot of work behind it. Green screen, 3d cars, matchmoving, crash simulations, replacing all the store signs etc.

Comment

Looking forward for the Making of !!

Comment

Very good.
              telecinese.com twitter vimeo

Comment

Awesome man.

Comment

Good overall job. I like the look. But the VFX could have used some more work. The lighting & shading on the cars is lacking the last bit of fine tuning to make it photorealistic.
                  Vimeo profile
                  VFX Showreel
                  IMDB

Comment

Yea that was Awesome did they ever announce the winner. I would have to see others but yours was great short and to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by 4saken View Post
                      Good overall job. I like the look. But the VFX could have used some more work. The lighting & shading on the cars is lacking the last bit of fine tuning to make it photorealistic.
                      I agree, I'm not 100 satisfied with the car upside down in the last shot. It's been a needle in the eye for me the whole time, and the worst is that I don't know how to improve it. I tried to break the tail light and put in blinking larm, wich made it better, but not perfect.

I rendered the scene with Vray and used a 360 panorama shot wich I took on set that gives all the right reflection and lighting, but still there is something missing. Maybe the roof should be collapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by erik_ande_85 View Post
                        I agree, I'm not 100 satisfied with the car upside down in the last shot. It's been a needle in the eye for me the whole time, and the worst is that I don't know how to improve it. I tried to break the tail light and put in blinking larm, wich made it better, but not perfect.

I rendered the scene with Vray and used a 360 panorama shot wich I took on set that gives all the right reflection and lighting, but still there is something missing. Maybe the roof should be collapsed.
                        I think it's not so much the destruction or small details like having a tail light blinking, it's more about the vray shaders.
                        There's some basic stuff you didn't do correct when it comes to how reflections work in the real world.
                        The index of reflection of the glass and the car shader is not behaving like it should do. If you have a reflecting surface it reflects less when looking straight at it, compared to looking at it at an angle.
                        Here's a good example of that effect:
                        Bildschirmfoto 2014-02-04 um 11.26.27.jpg

If you apply that same concept to your shots, there's some stuff that would look different. The glass in the windows would reflect less when looking straight at it. Same goes for the car paint.

I tried to do a very crude overpaint in Photoshop to demonstrate that effect on one of your shots. I think overall, the glass windows of your car are to bright. They should be darker. If you compare it to the real cars and look at their windows, they are much darker.

overpaint.jpg

Some of the reflections on the cars could probably be a bit more broken up. If you assume those are dirty cars that have mud and dried salt on it from the winter, you would expect some of those reflections to be a bit more glossy, not so sharp.

It's small details like this that add the last 15% that are usually missing for the photorealistic look. In the VFX business we call them micro details. Because by default, all 3D renders are clean. You need to add micro details to break up the clean look.
                        Vimeo profile
                        VFX Showreel
                        IMDB

Comment

I think it's not so much the destruction or small details like having a tail light blinking, it's more about the vray shaders.
                          There's some basic stuff you didn't do correct when it comes to how reflections work in the real world.
                          The index of reflection of the glass and the car shader is not behaving like it should do. If you have a reflecting surface it reflects less when looking straight at it, compared to looking at it at an angle.
                          Here's a good example of that effect:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6931[/ATTACH]

If you apply that same concept to your shots, there's some stuff that would look different. The glass in the windows would reflect less when looking straight at it. Same goes for the car paint.

I tried to do a very crude overpaint in Photoshop to demonstrate that effect on one of your shots. I think overall, the glass windows of your car are to bright. They should be darker. If you compare it to the real cars and look at their windows, they are much darker.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6932[/ATTACH]

Some of the reflections on the cars could probably be a bit more broken up. If you assume those are dirty cars that have mud and dried salt on it from the winter, you would expect some of those reflections to be a bit more glossy, not so sharp.

It's small details like this that add the last 15% that are usually missing for the photorealistic look. In the VFX business we call them micro details. Because by default, all 3D renders are clean. You need to add micro details to break up the clean look.
                          Thanks, I will look in to this. I think what you are meaning is the Fresnel reflectivity. I had that on, but I also rendered out a refraction pass that I used to luma out the background since the window reflections were a bit fucked from the HDRI photo.

What softwares/renderers do you work with? Are you working in Norway? I'm based in Sweden!

BTW, did anyone notice the Nirvana reference on the store sign?

Comment

Originally posted by erik_ande_85 View Post
                            Thanks, I will look in to this. I think what you are meaning is the Fresnel reflectivity. I had that on, but I also rendered out a refraction pass that I used to luma out the background since the window reflections were a bit fucked from the HDRI photo.

What softwares/renderers do you work with? Are you working in Norway? I'm based in Sweden!

BTW, did anyone notice the Nirvana reference on the store sign?
                            Yeah, fresnel reflection is what I'm talking about. I wasn't sure how familiar you are with all the terminology, so I tried to explain it. Depending on what software you are using, it can help to disregard the index of reflection option in vray and pipe a falloff (3dsmax) or ramp with sampler info (maya) into the reflectivity. This gives you greater control of how the reflection behaves. I prefer to do it this way most of the time. But nailing down the shading on cars is a bitch. Even in vray, coming up with a great looking car paint shader is not easy.

I mostly work with 3dsmax & Maya, preferred render is Vray but if I have to I can also work with Mentalray. I'm based in Germany but work as a freelancer and been in Australia, China & Denmark for various projects.

Here's a link to my showreel if you want to have a look what I did in the past year: https://vimeo.com/70189065

If you need more help with your shots you can also send me a PM and I'll try to give you some more input.
                            Vimeo profile
                            VFX Showreel
                            IMDB

Comment

Yeah, fresnel reflection is what I'm talking about. I wasn't sure how familiar you are with all the terminology, so I tried to explain it. Depending on what software you are using, it can help to disregard the index of reflection option in vray and pipe a falloff (3dsmax) or ramp with sampler info (maya) into the reflectivity. This gives you greater control of how the reflection behaves. I prefer to do it this way most of the time. But nailing down the shading on cars is a bitch. Even in vray, coming up with a great looking car paint shader is not easy.

I mostly work with 3dsmax & Maya, preferred render is Vray but if I have to I can also work with Mentalray. I'm based in Germany but work as a freelancer and been in Australia, China & Denmark for various projects.

Here's a link to my showreel if you want to have a look what I did in the past year: https://vimeo.com/70189065

If you need more help with your shots you can also send me a PM and I'll try to give you some more input.

Great work! I see that you know what you're talking about

I work in Cinema 4d, so I'm pretty familiar with the general terminology, but with was my first project with Vray so I had some help with the vray settings.
                              I might drop you a PM on the next project that needs vfx

Comment

Working...
                              X