A cycle shop video with a great example of ND-less infrared pollution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cycle shop video with a great example of ND-less infrared pollution

This is a web site marketing piece for a specialty cycling shop in Boca Raton, FL. I would have liked to have done something slower, something more about the romance of cycling but the shop had a lot of marketing messages to really hammer. This video brings them a lot of business evidently.

If you look at the black fabric on the jersey at 0:22 you can clearly see IR pollution. My BMCC EF had no ND filter but the lighting was very tungsten so there you have it. This shoot was kind of a nightmare of mixed color temperatures but I did what I could. I guess I need a straight non-ND IR filter like the hoya.

Interviews were shot with the sigma 30mm 1.4 (new art version) and b-roll with that and the sigma 17-50 2.8 IS. Steadicam and slider shots were on the sigma 8-16. Graded with film convert, looks, and colorista. Audio was recorded all in-camera with a juiced link DS214 and a wireless lav. Sounds pretty good I think.

https://vimeo.com/32174287
    Last edited by Hearnia; 01-11-2014, 03:29 PM.
    vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Seems like SD uploaded as HD on Vimeo?

Comment

If that is solely down to infrared contamination then it is a good example to show the effect. It's actually on blacks through the whole video.

Comment

Originally posted by bran View Post
        Seems like SD uploaded as HD on Vimeo?
        I don't have a pro account so I uploaded a high bitrate 720p copy. It looks HD on my screen - obviously not 1080p though.
        vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Content is good, pacing did seem a little long though. Audio sounded thin, like a strong frequency in the mid's, missing lows. Not a fan of the lighting, some of the people were blasted with white light and looked very pale. I would suggest using tungsten and not whatever white lights you used. Blue on white skin makes people look like zombies, give them more a healthy color and not the "Hospital" look. Also color grading can be better, some clips can have blacks more crushed while others just too white (bring the highlights down some). Look in your editing system and try to balance the project, open up the scopes it really helps.

Overall you gave an informative project and it's really nice to see people go out and film. It's great to see people continue the art form/job..... This is my opinion, solid work that could be tightened up technically to look even better.

peace
          Last edited by J.F.R.; 01-13-2014, 07:32 AM.

Comment

yeah, I agree with JFR, the look could use some polishing. the whole thing looks very video like. if you asked me what this was shot on I'd say some DSLR. the footage doesn't look very Blackmagic like.

About the IR pollution, just so I get this right, it's all about the blacks having too much red in it? can someone maybe point me to some test footage that shows a comparison with and without IR filters so I get a better understanding of what IR pollution looks like?
            Vimeo profile
            VFX Showreel
            IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by 4saken View Post
              yeah, I agree with JFR, the look could use some polishing. the whole thing looks very video like. if you asked me what this was shot on I'd say some DSLR. the footage doesn't look very Blackmagic like.

About the IR pollution, just so I get this right, it's all about the blacks having too much red in it? can someone maybe point me to some test footage that shows a comparison with and without IR filters so I get a better understanding of what IR pollution looks like?
              This is a pretty good one: https://vimeo.com/60008926

I played with the grade quite a bit but I'm not sure what else I can do. Like I said I didn't have much control over the lighting, both in temperature and amount. The whole shop had a mixture of tungsten and greenish fluorescent overhead lights, sometimes on the same objects, with dusk sunlight coming in through windows. Maybe I'll try regrading with resolve only to see if I can get more control.
              Last edited by Hearnia; 01-13-2014, 03:34 AM.
              vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

thanks for the link. very interesting. just to be sure I understood this right. IR pollution, meaning more unwanted red shows up in the blacks gets more visible, the higher nd's you use. to counteract this, you add an IR filter on top of the ND?
                Vimeo profile
                VFX Showreel
                IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by 4saken View Post
                  thanks for the link. very interesting. just to be sure I understood this right. IR pollution, meaning more unwanted red shows up in the blacks gets more visible, the higher nd's you use. to counteract this, you add an IR filter on top of the ND?
                  Pretty much yeah. Our eyes filter out infrared light automatically, and canon DSLRs have a filter over the sensor itself. It doesn't just turn black fabric red - it can mess up skin tones too. Very hard or impossible to grade out. The IR filter always goes on over the ND you use.

Check the threads in the lens forums about the tiffen and hoya IR ND filters. The new hoya pro NDs seem way better than the tiffens for our cameras.
                  vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Originally posted by Hearnia View Post
                    This is a pretty good one: https://vimeo.com/60008926

I played with the grade quite a bit but I'm not sure what else I can do. Like I said I didn't have much control over the lighting, both in temperature and amount. The whole shop had a mixture of tungsten and greenish fluorescent overhead lights, sometimes on the same objects, with dusk sunlight coming in through windows. Maybe I'll try regrading with resolve only to see if I can get more control.
                    Did you use lighting or not? Why not turn off the house lights? If in an area with those white lights, why not shoot RAW or change the white balance temperature on your camera. Natural lighting (imo) always looks best, play to that color. This is where having a monitor with scopes, rgb, etc. really helps.....
                    Last edited by J.F.R.; 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Reload the page and see if you like that grade any better before I ditch film convert and try resolve. I crushed the blacks and made it more contrasty / tried to get rid of any overly green and yellow tints.
                      vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Originally posted by Hearnia View Post
                        Reload the page and see if you like that grade any better before I ditch film convert and try resolve. I crushed the blacks and made it more contrasty / tried to get rid of any overly green and yellow tints.
                        I think the grades look a lot better, the first speaker (John Pompus?) was the worst but the extra color is welcomed. I think the shot that looks good is the one with Louie Garneau, also with the speaker after that. Seemed strange you did not add any lower thirds to the owner but you did to everyone else, or did I just miss it?

The owner and the second speaker with the clothes in the background was ok, but I like the other backgrounds better from the other speakers. The one with the person on the bike in the background was nice, the first two though were kind of boring (just clothes). Project imo looks better, good job.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't add a lower thirds because he says his name and title. Dunno probably should anyway. I might take an XML into resolve just to see if I can get the interviews looking better.
                          vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Working...
                          X