X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom
    replied
    That was ISO800???? where was the noise??? :-O

Amazing quality! lovely skin tones, really nice natural sharpness - this looked and felt real! Such lovely colours too!

SO EXCITED!

Leave a comment:

• dvbrother
    replied
    It looks very crisp, very clean, and I think the skin tones look great. I think the ultimate compliment to the camera (and to JB and the director) is that, even without sound, I started watching for a story and I forgot all about pixel-peeping. The true sign of a good camera is one that isn't an obstruction to storytelling. I'm sure I could go back and do a frame-by-frame nitpick, but my first viewing tells me it looks great and very film-like. This is available light only? Incredible!

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Sorry to be posting back to back like this but.. John! I seriously can't get over how good the footage looks specially having read your write up. Must have looked at it at least 10 times already. 3 Grand? Are you kidding me! Even if this camera never gets higher frame rates (which I do want!) it's an unbelievable value. I see my self renting a lot less in the near future. Probably just for slow motion stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Glencairn
    replied
    Looking very good John. I'm really impressed, especially shadow and highlight handling.

But did I get that right? The camera did not pass the ProRes certification yet?
    Doesn't sound good for the delivery date IMHO, or does that not affect delivery?

Frank

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Originally posted by CineMac View Post
    Thanks for the additional footage JB!

I read your post before watching the clip and it was super helpful. Thanks for all the details!

Man you can really see the sharpness difference between the CP2's and the Canon EF lenses!

You wouldn't happen to have some 'ol Nikkor AI's floating around you could try do you? :-)
    In the write up John clearly states that the Canon lens is the 15-85mm EF-S. This lens is not an L series. This lens is not even a Prime. Looking at 85mm CP2 and the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, I would be very hard pressed to say one has a better look than the other with the sharpness difference not being that noticeable at all. I'm not sure how to describe this accurately but I'll just say that when shooting people in general the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II has an almost magical appeal to it. The look of the 85mm CP2 is also fantastic and I would say better overall but If I'm specifically doing a beauty shot of person where they aren't moving around a whole lot, I'm most certainly not renting the CP2 and just reaching for the EF 85mm f/1.2L II that's already in my toolbox. It goes with out saying that the CP2s are pleasure to work with unlike the Canons, so operationaly there is no contest. CP2s all the way. All in all I think Zeiss makes better galss than Canon but at certain focal lengths for certain shots, there are times when I would pick the Canon glass over the CP2s even if I had the CP2s on hand. Specifically beauty shots of people with limited movement for both the EF 85mm f/1.2L II and the EF 50mm f/1.2L. I would also pick the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro over 100mm CP for Macro shots obviously. Once the stuff you are shooting is little bit further away from the lens I don't think the difference is that huge. Decision on renting or not renting the 100mm CP2 is more based on how much movement there will be in the shot in terms of focusing. At every other focal length that the CP2s are available in there is no reason to even consider the Canons if you have access to or own the CP2s budget permitting. Well I should add that I've never used the 15mm CP2 and I've never used the 28mm CP2. So my comments don't include those 2 lenses simply because I have no experience with them but CP2s all match up well so I have no reason to think those wouldn't also be fantastic lenses.

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Great work JB. This is exactly the the sort of real world examples that I am looking for. Camera is holding up very nice. Glad to see the advertised 13 stops of dynamic range is pretty legit and not over hyped fluff. Proof is in the images and direct sunlight casting dark shadows is a great test of this. Needless to say this is all very exciting.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Roman
    replied
    Simply amazing John... Don't know why (if it's grading, if it's the lovely Zeiss glasses) but this footage seems even more filmic than some Alexa's footage out there to my eye. I wonder how Cooke S4 lenses would look like on this babe.
    Damm guys, just can't wait !!

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by RyGuy View Post
    John, I have a few gripes... There's no noise. Or aliasing. Or moire. How do we know that you didn't shoot this on film, or the Alexa?? I kid i kid! This is the best yet out of that lil' thing. Oh and great shooting too!
    I think there's a resolve plug-in for that...

jb

Leave a comment:

• RyGuy
    replied
    John, I have a few gripes... There's no noise. Or aliasing. Or moire. How do we know that you didn't shoot this on film, or the Alexa?? I kid i kid! This is the best yet out of that lil' thing. Oh and great shooting too!

Out of curiosity what was your ND set-up? I read you used T1s, but I thought that was only a IR cut filter.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by CineMac View Post
    Was this with the latest (Aug 4th) version of the BMD John?

If so, why did you opt for 800ASA instead of 200ASA?

Did you discover any other BMD goodies while shooting?
    HI.

This was NOT shot with the shipping camera firmware. Nor the shipping software.

I shot at 800iso basically because I trust that curve the most to give me the greatest DR. I haven't really looked very much at the other ISO's yet and this was a *real* job, not a BMD test.

jb

Leave a comment:

• Thefilmaddict
    replied
    That was amazing. It looks just like a high end film. The motion is beautiful and so is the detail. Lots of would be high contrast shots that would surely blow out on other cameras, but with this, lots of detail! Holy crap!

Leave a comment:

• strancali
    replied
    Originally posted by Roman View Post
    As I look at this footage, I wonder if anybody else is thinking the same thing as me. I'm actually going to own this camera... for 3k. It almost feels too good to be true. This level of iq is what I've been waiting for in the short time I've invested in trying to learn the basics of cinematography. I can't even fathom what others here, who've been at this for years must be thinking... the ones who have some major experience but have never had the opportunity to own a camera that produces images that look this good.

Tools may be tools, but being able to own this one in particular makes me feel like I just won the freakin jack pot. This camera could not be glued to my hands soon enough.
    +1 Roman!

Up until April of this year, I have never heard of Dan May. BMC is doing something wonderful for us small indie guys with low budgets and we will not forget. Honestly, why would anyone buy a Scarlet when they can own this and have left over for lenses and other gears. I am looking forward to the release date and firmware upgrades to follow after (please give us 60p).

Leave a comment:

• ryaninoz
    replied
    Beautiful images, the best camera demo I have seen, no slider dolly moves, no ridiculous shallow dof for the sake of it just natural light, hand held camera work incredible dynamic range and the nicest qualities in a moving image I have seen south of an Alexa. I have NEVER seen a red/ C300/f3 or any other camera bar the alexa look this good. Goodbye dslrs !

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    As I look at this footage, I wonder if anybody else is thinking the same thing as me. I'm actually going to own this camera... for 3k. It almost feels too good to be true. This level of iq is what I've been waiting for in the short time I've invested in trying to learn the basics of cinematography. I can't even fathom what others here, who've been at this for years must be thinking... the ones who have some major experience but have never had the opportunity to own a camera that produces images that look this good.

Tools may be tools, but being able to own this one in particular makes me feel like I just won the freakin jack pot. This camera could not be glued to my hands soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• vegetableman
    replied
    Originally posted by pharpsied View Post
    That's why God invented wheelchairs!
    Human dolly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X