Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RyGuy
    replied
    John did you do any sharpening in post? Looks plenty sharp to me, without being "over sharp." Just wondering what post processing was done to it.
    Last edited by RyGuy; 08-07-2012, 01:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stip
    replied
    Yes, I'm thinking this will be the case for BMCC as well as I don't really know much cameras with 'native ISO800' sensors.

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    as i remeber first shots made by John Brawley are done on 320 iso ...
    that is probaby native iso....
    even alexa when properly expose put middle gray on 40% IRE (native is probably 400)...
    BMC film log in PORES is probably around 37%i IRE and thats is standard for log curves ...

Leave a comment:

• stip
    replied
    Originally posted by vladnik View Post
    @John Brawley
    no problem ....
    one question what is you opinion about ETTR when we use RAW for BMC...
    Exposing RAW cameras is a bit different than what most people are used to. ISO is only meta data so basically dialing in different ISO values only changes the brightness of your preview image on the LCD, not the image itself. If you then expose for that preview image, you will basically be underexposing the sensor for higher ISO levels than the sensor's native sensitivity.
    For example that means that in low light situations you'd want to dial ISO down (to native sensitivity) instead of up for exposing. In low light ETTR can make sense but it's not something you should stick to die hard.

@John,

is ISO 800 really the sensor's native sensitivity or is it just a recommended setting like RED recommend ISO 800 to protect highlights although the Epic/Scarlet sensors are around ISO320 sensitivity? I'm trying to find out for month now, no clear info yet.
    Thx for the sneak peak movie!

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    @John Brawley
    no problem ....
    one question what is you opinion about ETTR when we use RAW for BMC...

Leave a comment:

• funwithstuff
    replied
    Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
    Yeah as I mentioned on the blog. It's unusual because I've never seen a black pixel. Dead pixels are normally white. I'll chase it up with BMD. This is still a pro-production camera that's essentially hand built. I have had issues with sensor dirt in the past because the prototypes aren't built in proper 100% clean rooms. The black dot like this has been sensor dirt in the past but it is pretty sharp. (The manufacturing line DOES have a clean room facility of course.)

jb
    Many thanks for the response. I'm sure they'll sort it out in the production cameras, or map it out in-camera.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by vladnik View Post
    @John Brawley
    can you please enable option for download in vimeo ...
    Not permitted to. Sorry.

jb

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    @John Brawley
    can you please enable option for download in vimeo ...

Leave a comment:

• Cornelius
    replied
    Just when I was started to hold my calmness about waiting, you had to do it.

That was awesome! Seriously, I love the image that comes out of this camera.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by funwithstuff View Post
    It looks really great! However, there's a dead (black) pixel, 25% from left, nearly 50% from top. Visible at 100% if not otherwise. It's pre-production footage and so all is forgiven for now, but after living with a lit red subpixel on my Sony TV for a few years now, there's no way I'd want to live with one on my own camera.

(And apologies to John for posting this on both the blog and here. I don't want to blow the issue out of proportion, but I don't seem to be able to remove the blog comment and any discussion probably belongs here.)
    Yeah as I mentioned on the blog. It's unusual because I've never seen a black pixel. Dead pixels are normally white. I'll chase it up with BMD. This is still a pro-production camera that's essentially hand built. I have had issues with sensor dirt in the past because the prototypes aren't built in proper 100% clean rooms. The black dot like this has been sensor dirt in the past but it is pretty sharp. (The manufacturing line DOES have a clean room facility of course.)

jb

Leave a comment:

• funwithstuff
    replied
    It looks really great! However, there's a dead (black) pixel, 25% from left, nearly 50% from top. Visible at 100% if not otherwise. It's pre-production footage and so all is forgiven for now, but after living with a lit red subpixel on my Sony TV for a few years now, there's no way I'd want to live with one on my own camera.

(And apologies to John for posting this on both the blog and here. I don't want to blow the issue out of proportion, but I don't seem to be able to remove the blog comment and any discussion probably belongs here.)

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    hhahahha...
    and DNG will give even more DR and resolution ....
    that's insane ....

Leave a comment:

• Andrew
    replied
    not much to add, but wow! and thanks John!

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDeme
    replied
    Nice work with the handholding, looks excellent and gives me hope as it's exactly how I am planning to use it.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Looking very good John. I'm really impressed, especially shadow and highlight handling.

But did I get that right? The camera did not pass the ProRes certification yet?
    Doesn't sound good for the delivery date IMHO, or does that not affect delivery?

Frank
    I'm not aware of how it affects shipping. But I do know its because of paperwork issues rather than any kind of technical reasons.

JB.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X