Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t.p.
    replied
    mattbatt : i am sorry for my last reply to your posting , i thought that testing by vimeo compression is a wrong process and the compression may have cause this moire / aliasing artifacts , but you clearly were on to something that i and others missed ,and jb response clearly shows that your were correct ( thank you JB for the explanation ) , i tried afterwards to apply this screencapturing and enlarging of other frames that was filmed with red/alexa on details , and did not see those blue orange patterns

also agree with you and jb (that if it does exist and it is caused by not implementing of an AA filter the question still remains , is it offensive to the eye and my answer is - if no one else
    have noticed it before the enlargement including me , than it must be a negligible issue and its not that bad

Leave a comment:

• mattbatt
    replied
    Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
    This is aliasing / moire. This is where you can see what sometimes happens when you don't have an AA filter. Very fine detail can sometimes "catch" like this. The question is....is it offensive ? Is it more offensives because we "notice" it ? A lot of people didn't notice it until pointed out in 300% enlargements and even then, it was interpreted as possible CA. That's the level of this...on par with CA.

Personally, I'd rather take the extra resolution for the slight ping like this and have the choice to not have the AA filter.

jb
    Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
    The issue you note on Leah was a DIFFERENT issue that looks visually the same as aliasing. (it was a different bug) This is why MORE of the Leah footage wasn't released at the time.

jb
    Thanks John - I agree with you that the moire / aliasing is not too bad. Again, working with a 5dmkII I don't mean to be a pixel peeper, just I notice things. Again, it is better since it does not shimmer.

Thanks for all you do man.
    Last edited by mattbatt; 08-08-2012, 12:59 AM. Reason: added quote

Leave a comment:

• stip
    replied
    I think razz16mm's example just perfectly illustrates the significant impact that the processing of raw sensor data has. Sensor is just half the story and this should clearly help understanding the benefit of giving BMD any time they need to fine tune processing.
    Once people have their BMCC, there will be lots of discussion about how to best expose it, count on it.

Leave a comment:

• razz16mm
    replied
    Originally posted by Cedric Akins View Post
    I really don't care dude. That was not bossing anyone around. What he did is thread hijacking and what you are doing is completely silly IMHO. I suggested that he start a kineraw thread or a kinerawuser forum to keep the threads separate and not confusing. But whatever you say goes boss. You can throw any random video clip in anyone's thread and talk about or push any product you want to.
    I was just using the kineraw sample to illustrate a point being discussed about native ISO ratings and silicon sensors in general. Not comparing the cameras or trying to change the subject.

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Not to get in the middle of an argument here, but in the building of an online community I think it's great to share any knowledge that's even remotely related. I'm sure there are tons of things that members here know that I don't and there may be few things that I may be able to share and pass some knowledge along. That video was informative. I did not view it as kineraw propaganda and even if it was, it had some nice info on there. I know the first time I shot on Red my exposure wasn't quite what i wanted it to be. It's important to note that for some users on here, they may have never shot on an Alexa, Epic, Scarlet etc so the whole shooting raw is a new concept so soaking info on proper exposure shooting raw is helpful even if not directly on the BMCC since the concept remains the same even if in practice there are subtle differences.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Pears
    replied
    I really don't care dude. That was not bossing anyone around. What he did is thread hijacking and what you are doing is completely silly IMHO. I suggested that he start a kineraw thread or a kinerawuser forum to keep the threads separate and not confusing. But whatever you say goes boss. You can throw any random video clip in anyone's thread and talk about or push any product you want to.
    You obviously care enough to post in the first place. Razz16's post was referring to native ISO and sensors which directly relates to discussion in this thread about the Bmc's native ISO, and used Kineraw as an example. John discussed the Alexa with another member a few pages ago, is that conversation not welcome either as it is off the topic of "wow this footage is amazing can't wait for my camera to arrive"?
    Last edited by Dan Pears; 08-07-2012, 10:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kyle Presley
    replied
    Razz16mm is a valuable resource, and is very knowledgeable. It is in your best interests not to scare him away from this forum. I've had many a conversation with him and met him personally. And the post isn't necessarily off topic. Let's keep it positive over here, no?

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Pears View Post
    Seriously? You feel the need to boss around another forum member and make demands when you're not a mod or an admin? Camera forums are full of whinning and bitching, David (Razz16mm) posted something informative with a video example, that some people here might be interested in. It was an interesting video, and I agree with Andrew it was creepy and cute. I'd rather a slightly off-topic post that adds to the greater conversation of cameras, technology and art than complaining and drivel. This place shouldn't be like Reduser where mere mention of another brand or camera system is shot down.
    Just to avoid confusion, I am not Razz16mm.

Leave a comment:

• Cedric Akins
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Pears View Post
    Seriously? You feel the need to boss around another forum member and make demands when you're not a mod or an admin? Camera forums are full of whinning and bitching, David (Razz16mm) posted something informative with a video example, that some people here might be interested in. It was an interesting video, and I agree with Andrew it was creepy and cute. I'd rather a slightly off-topic post that adds to the greater conversation of cameras, technology and art than complaining and drivel. This place shouldn't be like Reduser where mere mention of another brand or camera system is shot down.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Pears
    replied
    Seriously? Why are you pushing this camera into another thread that someone else started? Start a kinerawuser forum and push it there or a separate thread. This was about more footage from the BMCC.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by laco View Post
    John,

this was shot with the Tiffen ND filters you wrote in another thread?
    It seems it works great in daylight.

Thanks for the work!
    Yes the Tiffen T1's

jb

Leave a comment:

• Andrew
    replied
    Had the chance to watch the newest BMC footage today on a better LCD and I'm really impressed with this footage! John, you're going to keep the footage coming while we all wait for the cameras to ship right? It makes the waiting more bearable and at the same time less bearable because it looks so good I want my own.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew
    replied
    Originally posted by razz16mm View Post
    This is the creepiest test video I've ever seen! That cut from the guy smiling to frowning is just scary. He goes from nice looking older gentleman to serial killer in a split second. The dark blue grade at :32 is straight out of a horror flick.

sorry for going OT

Leave a comment:

• Cedric Akins
    replied
    Originally posted by razz16mm View Post
    The native sensitivity for most silicon based sensors, the exposure index that produces a 50 IRE signal from an 18% gray card with about 3 stops of peak headroom, falls between 100 and 200 ISO. This is a physical property limit of conventional silicon wafers whether it is a solar cell or a camera sensor.
    Improvements in sensor and chip design and fabrication have greatly increased signal to noise ratios, in some cases by as much as 20dB over the last 5 years, increasing total DR. So it is now possible to underexpose by several stops without unacceptable noise consequences and bring video levels to normal in post or in camera processing and encoding. That is where the real change has taken place.
    Here is a test sample from the Kineraw S35 done by Dan Hudgins that perfectly illustrates this. He included an uncorrected linear exposure shot near the end.

Seriously? Why are you pushing this camera into another thread that someone else started? Start a kinerawuser forum and push it there or a separate thread. This was about more footage from the BMCC.

Leave a comment:

• Brad Ferrell
    replied
    Looking good. Sent the link to a lot of potential clients as interested in the camera as I am.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X