X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• razz16mm
    replied
    Originally posted by Fabián Matas View Post
    ISO 800 is the native ISO, It have the best Dinamic Range avaiable.ISO 200 have less DR and as far as I know Is intended just for when you don't have ND filters.
    ISO is a bit counter intuitive for raw shooting. Assuming the sensor and AD are optimally matched for maximum dynamic range, changing ISO is just shifting where in the available DR you are placing middle gray. So if you want to protect highlights in very bright high contrast conditions you under expose, effectively shooting at higher ISO. For low contrast conditions you can shoot at lower ISO to get a denser image and better S/N in the shadows. A stop under, say 800 ISO, gives you one stop more highlight headroom at the expense of a stop of noise in the shadows. A stop over exposure, say 200 ISO loses a stop of highlights but you get cleaner shadows. Knowing the lighting contrast ratios of your scene as measured by a meter or as guided by a histogram helps you select optimum exposure. ISO reference just affects how it looks on your camera monitor, not what is captured to the raw file. Only shutter speed, frame rate, and aperture affect what is actually captured by the sensor, just like film.
    This does not apply to shooting encoded video formats.

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    changing iso doesn't change DR it just shifts more stops to shadows or highlights ...
    check this:
    under 3. Exposure Questions
    What happens when I change ALEXA’s Exposure Index (EI) setting?
    http://arri.com/camera/digital_camer...alexa_faq.html

Leave a comment:

• iunknown
    replied
    John,
    Whats your opinion on this camera for event work? Would the screen menu's be fast enough for a wedding? I've also read that lanc controllers are coming out to give fast access, but haven't seen any products yet.

Leave a comment:

• Fabián Matas
    replied
    Originally posted by maccane View Post
    Why is this footage and one before shot on iso 800 why not faster glass and push the iso down

Sorry when this question is been asked before !
    ISO 800 is the native ISO, It have the best Dinamic Range avaiable.ISO 200 have less DR and as far as I know Is intended just for when you don't have ND filters.

Leave a comment:

• maccane
    replied
    Why is this footage and one before shot on iso 800 why not faster glass and push the iso down

Sorry when this question is been asked before !

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    thanks John ...
    i check that videos again and i dont see any problem with moire and aliasing ...
    loos like shooting in 2.5K and resizing in postproduction gives cleaner results ...

Leave a comment:

• Brian@202020
    replied
    Not sure if this has been asked, if so I can't seem to find it. John, when looking at the raw footage in the native 2.5K resolution, do you see the same aliasing and moire? I wouldn't think so since the image isn't scaled at all, but I just wanted to check to be sure. Thanks John.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by vladnik View Post
    @John Brawley
    did early camera prototype used for first test videos had aa filter ....
    can we see some test done with leica lens i like character they give to BMC ...
    No AA filter in the early tests.

JB.

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    @John Brawley
    did early camera prototype used for first test videos had aa filter ....
    can we see some test done with leica lens i like character they give to BMC ...

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Originally posted by Liszön! View Post
    Thats something I would like to know as well.
    But I think some kind of a rig was used for sure, if not because to avoid rolling shutter, then just to get a better grip or attach the camera accessories.
    I used a should rig and handles.

With the CP2 and wanting to have ND's I needed a matte box. That meant rails. Then the thing went onto my shoulder. But I couldn't see the screen. So then I had an LCD mounted off an arm. And a V lock battery.

jb

Leave a comment:

• Liszön!
    replied
    Originally posted by Salvatore Castellana View Post
    Right so is this handheld or on a shoulder rig?
    Thats something I would like to know as well.
    But I think some kind of a rig was used for sure, if not because to avoid rolling shutter, then just to get a better grip or attach the camera accessories.

the camera has noise, good honest organic free range noise
    blackmagic-cinema-camera-shadow-detail.jpg

Well if I should judge from only this still image from the clip, the vertical-line noise pattern is more close to the Canon HDSLR series than to the HDV's horizontal-line noise, or the real cinematic grain, but its still acceptable, especially because the camera has enough resolution to remove noise efficiently in post.
    Last edited by Liszön!; 08-08-2012, 05:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John Brawley
    replied
    Very nice !
    I'm glad with this camera and have a preorder but also want to notice that the shadows on 0.39 sec the cars have litte bit noisy and the details on shadows less.
    The highlights detail is perfect maybe John make his choice and give more attention to the highlights in mine opinion..with this footage
    I have said many times....

There is no noise reduction applied in camera or in post.

the camera has noise....

good honest organic free range noise.......

jb

Leave a comment:

• Salvatore Castellana
    replied
    Originally posted by Cornelius View Post
    I'd be very impressed if that was handheld. You're totally right and the smaller, cheaper DSLR cameras like the T2i are even worse. I know the BMC is heavier than a 5d so that would reduce the shakey somewhat.
    Right so is this handheld or on a shoulder rig?

Leave a comment:

• laco
    replied
    Very nice !
    I'm glad with this camera and have a preorder but also want to notice that the shadows on 0.39 sec the cars have litte bit noisy and the details on shadows less.
    The highlights detail is perfect maybe John make his choice and give more attention to the highlights in mine opinion..with this footage
    Maybe what you see noise is because of highlight protection.
    Maybe John exposed it just a bit under to save the highlights, and the brought back the darker parts in post, a bit amplifying noise.
    But again: this is ISO800, and without any noise reduction...

Leave a comment:

• maccane
    replied
    Very nice !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X