Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Brawley
    replied
    I won't be releasing any prior footage. Most of it is incredibly dull for starters. And it's shot with older versions of the camera. The dng footage will be shot with the release version of the camera.

JB.

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Originally posted by JIKIJI View Post
    He did a lot of footage yes but it hasn't been posted because the footage was used in order to improve the camera, this was told in a recent interview you can find on the forum. Secondly, He is working on a short sci-fi film with the BMC at the moment so I'm sure this will be used as gold footage.
    Cool, yeah I saw that interview as well. I was just thinking that perhaps there was some footage outside of whatever fine tuning BMC did based on JB's stuff. Curious... what does "gold footage" mean? Just footage that will be used for a production?

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I want to shoot and grade and test my own footage. John's footage is a great affirmation that the camera is as capable as I wanted it to be in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing and really all that is left is for us to shoot and grade and create for ourselves.
    I hear ya, this is what I'm thinking as well. It'd be fun in the meantime though, while we wait for our sweet babies to arrive to see the stuff that any normal cinematographer would like to see.

Leave a comment:

• JIKIJI
    replied
    Originally posted by Roman View Post
    So I'm curious, JB probably has a ton of footage stored up over the last few months shooting with the BMC. Is this the only thing that he's actually allowed to show? I would imagine that if you can post this, you put up whatever else you've done? Since it seems like there's probably a handful of special interest customers getting theirs first before anyone else, footage will likely start leaking really really soon. Hopefully you can put up some raw footage, perhaps without grading / curves adjustments / post, since that's what I think many people still really want to see.
    He did a lot of footage yes but it hasn't been posted because the footage was used in order to improve the camera, this was told in a recent interview you can find on the forum. Secondly, He is working on a short sci-fi film with the BMC at the moment so I'm sure this will be used as gold footage.

Leave a comment:

• nickjbedford
    replied
    To be perfectly honest, I want to shoot and grade and test my own footage. John's footage is a great affirmation that the camera is as capable as I wanted it to be in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing and really all that is left is for us to shoot and grade and create for ourselves.

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    So I'm curious, JB probably has a ton of footage stored up over the last few months shooting with the BMC. Is this the only thing that he's actually allowed to show? I would imagine that if you can post this, you put up whatever else you've done? Since it seems like there's probably a handful of special interest customers getting theirs first before anyone else, footage will likely start leaking really really soon. Hopefully you can put up some raw footage, perhaps without grading / curves adjustments / post, since that's what I think many people still really want to see.

What would be ideal, is maybe a 5 minute compilation of whatever footage you've got that maybe isn't "home video" type stuff, but just the random tests you would expect from anyone taking the time to play around with a new camera. I do this kind of thing all the time, not like a real production or anything time consuming, just whatever you've got that could possibly be of interest to someone who still wants to learn about the camera before purchasing.
    Last edited by Roman; 07-29-2012, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nickjbedford
    replied
    Originally posted by RyGuy View Post
    Uhh... at 0:23 upper left corner you can see INTO the lightbulb. I haven't seen anything like that except for one Alexa test video. Obviously not all lights are created equally and there are different watt bulbs, but I would NEVER dream about seeing that on my 5d.

I looked everywhere for that test video on vimeo, but couldn't find it. It's basically a side-by-side of a 7d, Alexa, and one other camera (F3?), shooting a black blanket with different objects on it creating a super high contrast shot. It goes from a deep shadows, all the way up to a turned on light bulb. The two less expensive cameras had a hard time on both ends, but the Alexa could see deep into the blacks, as well as the actual ignited coil of the lightbulb. Mind blown. Think I might be seeing that again...
    I noticed this too. I was pleased to stumble onto it.

Leave a comment:

• RyGuy
    replied
    Uhh... at 0:23 upper left corner you can see INTO the lightbulb. I haven't seen anything like that except for one Alexa test video. Obviously not all lights are created equally and there are different watt bulbs, but I would NEVER dream about seeing that on my 5d.

I looked everywhere for that test video on vimeo, but couldn't find it. It's basically a side-by-side of a 7d, Alexa, and one other camera (F3?), shooting a black blanket with different objects on it creating a super high contrast shot. It goes from a deep shadows, all the way up to a turned on light bulb. The two less expensive cameras had a hard time on both ends, but the Alexa could see deep into the blacks, as well as the actual ignited coil of the lightbulb. Mind blown. Think I might be seeing that again...

Leave a comment:

• Andrew
    replied
    Originally posted by razz16mm View Post
    but for motion, unless you want to do a lot of post work individually spot correcting every frame, or setting up correction masks, you will end up processing the whole image to a lower resolution than a well matched AA filter would cost you to get rid of the moire.
    How effective can post moire and aliasing removal be? I totally get what you're saying, but maybe spot removal won't be so bad when you pair it with Resolve's amazing 3D tracker, assuming it's only an occasional problem. I wouldn't want to spot remove it from every other shot.

Leave a comment:

• razz16mm
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDeme View Post
    How about I say it a different way.....am pretty happy with what I am seeing in the footage shot so far. If BMD still have ability to make ongoing improvements then I will be over the moon.
    I like the quality of images coming from the camera too. Aliasing performance is just another element that must be considered when picking shots.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDeme
    replied
    Originally posted by razz16mm View Post
    The moire of the chair is not the camera. the color moire on the speaker grills and the top of the carpeted speaker in the fore ground are though. For still photogs, getting by without an AA filter is workable, but for motion, unless you want to do a lot of post work individually spot correcting every frame, or setting up correction masks, you will end up processing the whole image to a lower resolution than a well matched AA filter would cost you to get rid of the moire. When aliasing artifacts occur they affect lower than Nyquist resolution details too.
    How about I say it a different way.....am pretty happy with what I am seeing in the footage shot so far. If BMD still have ability to make ongoing improvements then I will be over the moon.

Leave a comment:

• razz16mm
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDeme View Post
    Totally agree, was just commenting on the relationship between resolution and the frequency of Moire patterns.

I for one would much prefer no AA filter as there are a number of easy ways to solve the problem. In a run and gun style camera sure it makes more sense, but for the BMC I will be putting more thought into the art I produce so am happy to take this into account and if for some dumb reason I screw it up, then post production here I come.

If it was me, I would have used a bit of visual effects and set that mesh chair on fire, smoke and all.....would have fixed the moire and left the viewers with another question in there minds about just what was going on at the time Casey was shooting pool. Even could have the VFX lighting from the flames playing across her as she is walking around the table and bending over taking each shot.

Take that you pixel peepers (;->>
    The moire of the chair is not the camera. the color moire on the speaker grills and the top of the carpeted speaker in the fore ground are though. For still photogs, getting by without an AA filter is workable, but for motion, unless you want to do a lot of post work individually spot correcting every frame, or setting up correction masks, you will end up processing the whole image to a lower resolution than a well matched AA filter would cost you to get rid of the moire. When aliasing artifacts occur they affect lower than Nyquist resolution details too.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew
    replied
    Sounds good Randy and I see what you're saying now. Looking forward to seeing your anamorphic stuff! I love a super wide aspect ratio.

Leave a comment:

• randyman
    replied
    Again, sorry to go OT, but just to explain what I was talking about… I wasn't meaning to up-res just for the sake of up-resing.

If I shoot at the BMC's RAW resolution (2432x1366) using a 2X anamorphic lens, I wind up with an image that's 4864x1366. Yes, the horizontal dimension has been artificially up-resed, and that aspect ratio is ridiculously wide (as the 2X lens was really designed to be shot 4:3 to start with.) But if I chop off the sides to get 4096x1366 for a 3:1 aspect ratio, it's pretty amazing to me that by using an anamorphic lens, the BMC can deliver something that would stand up to 4K projection.

In reality, it's far more likely that I'll crop the sides down to a more traditional 2.35:1 (Panavision) and down-res the result to fit the standard 1920-wide HD frame. Sorry again for the OT.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDeme
    replied
    Originally posted by Andrew View Post
    AndrewDeme, I agree but that that's an example of a native high res sensor. I can't think of a reason to upres a 2.5k image to 4k.
    Totally agree, was just commenting on the relationship between resolution and the frequency of Moire patterns.

I for one would much prefer no AA filter as there are a number of easy ways to solve the problem. In a run and gun style camera sure it makes more sense, but for the BMC I will be putting more thought into the art I produce so am happy to take this into account and if for some dumb reason I screw it up, then post production here I come.

If it was me, I would have used a bit of visual effects and set that mesh chair on fire, smoke and all.....would have fixed the moire and left the viewers with another question in there minds about just what was going on at the time Casey was shooting pool. Even could have the VFX lighting from the flames playing across her as she is walking around the table and bending over taking each shot.

Take that you pixel peepers (;->>

Leave a comment:

Working...
X