Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taikonaut
    replied
    I really dislike the GH2 handling of highlight especially bright outdoor. If they can improve on that and gave us a flat profile similar to Canon's Cinestyle it would be a bargain of a lifetime because the detail handling is superb. As it is I limit its use to semi low light use were the DR is not stretch. If the BMC gets a firmware update for 60p or higher I will sell the GH2 in a heart beat.

Leave a comment:

• dvbrother
    replied
    I am currently an owner of an unhacked GH2, and I still have my GH1 as a backup. I have been thrilled with both cameras, especially the GH2, and have never felt that skin tones were a flaw with the camera. The GH1 did have issues with skin tones, but that disappeared with the GH2. I suppose it's all subjective. I have shot interviews, dance numbers, family events, road trips, sporting events, short films and more short films and have always been deeply satisfied with the results that little camera has given me.
    One spot I did won an Emmy Award and another was nominated for best cinematography at a film festival, so I'm convinced that with good lighting and composition, the GH2 is incredible, especially considering its price.
    I'm interested in the BMC for many reasons, but I'll probably keep my GH2 around because I know there will be situations where I can still use it.

Leave a comment:

• John Caballero
    replied
    Well, be wary about people who are never satisfied with a camera they pick up. They buy one to sell it for any reason. Then buy another to do the same. I applaud and admire people that take a camera a make it work and create something. Complainers are a dime a dozen. There is absolutely brilliant stuff done with the Canons, the Panasonics, et all. And is admirable to see how truly creative people work with the tools at hand. Create with what they have today and embrace the next camera when they are ready to move forward. Kudos again to those who have taken a revolutionary little camera like the GH2 and build their path to greater accomplishments with your next one. Complainers, just keep complaining while the others achieve!

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Originally posted by John Caballero View Post
    Well, call me a fanboy then! I don't care. I love the GH2. It is absolutely brilliant with the hack. And the ease of use is a tremendous big plus. In a true pros' hands it is a great little machine. Didn't you hear about the Zacuto thingy recently? You should Google it! And see what happened. It is eye opening as far as the GH2 performance goes. But of course it was done by true pros.
    The Zacuto Thingy along with personal experience and countless offerings on vimeo and youtube is what my statements are based on. If you look a couple post backs you'll see I mention the Zacuto thingy. NO disrespect at all to the people involved in the shoot out but that was much more of tell your story regardless of what camera you have feel good sort of piece rather than a let's break the pros and cons of these cameras down and see what happens thingy. Many of the people on the shoot out I think are very talented and what they said needs to be heard but my opinion is that it should have been given a different title that better fit the whole piece of the video. Lots of insight on how to treat people, better your craft, and how to approach film making but very little insight on the cameras that wasn't already known from either using them myself or what has already been said a million times on various forums. I would be very interested and would even pay for more Zacuto style interviews with people in the industry who are well repsected and having been doing it for a long time. That was an awesome bonus. The camera stuff a was waste of time. Was there anything in their about the Alexa or the Red that you didn't already know? My only guess is that this was geared for people that have only shot with a few cameras and have never picked up a Red and shot in 5K or seen Alexa footage first hand. I guess the only thing that surprised me camera wise was that people are using iphones for video production. Won't comment on that!

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    That is something we can most definitely agree on. Cannot wait for my BMC to arrive. Sadly I only got on the list less than 2 weeks ago so I'll be waiting a while (I'm such a dummy for waiting). I'm not sure I'll be shocked since I do get to see the occasional good quality footage in the form of DPX 35mm film scans which tend end up as cineform files. Now those suckers can be graded just about any you want. If the BMC is even remotely close I'll be in heaven. The people willing to pay for 35mm film shoots is getting smaller and samller. So are the people who are knowledgeable in shooting with film. That is not something that I do myself but gets hired out because I don't want to risk wasting film. Also the last place near me that did the processing, first light, and transfers shut down years ago and we've had to mail it off the last few times for the few clients who want to pay for film. Talk about nerve racking. The results though are worth it. But workflow is the amazing thing about digital cameras. I can experiment and run all of mytest on my own time with out much expense and be confident that I am delivering what the client wants. With film I am relying on others heavily since my knowledge of shooting film is only in theory and not in practice. When I get mine in I seriously will be shooting about 20 hours a week at least for the first 2 months or so to learn the camera inside and out and what situations it shines in and what to avoid. Already have locations scouted along with permission forms and waivers. I won't be using it ony paid work until I have put it through it's paces and established my workflow.

Leave a comment:

• John Caballero
    replied
    It's all a matter of preference. Stating that the GH2 is better in every way is well, very fanboyish.
    Well, call me a fanboy then! I don't care. I love the GH2. It is absolutely brilliant with the hack. And the ease of use is a tremendous big plus. In a true pros' hands it is a great little machine. Didn't you hear about the Zacuto thingy recently? You should Google it! And see what happened. It is eye opening as far as the GH2 performance goes. But of course it was done by true pros.

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Well all in all, both are great cameras. 5D series does have some trouble with moire and aliasing, baked in color, low resolution and a soft image. BUT, the image for what it is... is great. The GH2 with almost non-existent moire or aliasing issues, high-bitrate and superior motion rendering just give it a really good base to start from. You can make the image as sharp or as soft as you want, make it blend in with RED footage or HVX footage.

Unfortunately the 5D isn't too flexible in that area, and can really only pull off one kind of look. I kinda got tired of how the footage fell apart almost immediately in post, during curves adjustments and grading. But with the GH2, the threshold is much greater for post manipulation so I really love the flexibility in that area.

But just imagine once we have our BMC's to cuddle, any DSLR will just pale by comparison. I think it'll be a shock for anyone who's only been able to afford or use cheap DSLR's until this point, like myself. Cannot wait to see what working with CinemaDNG will be like. Just a few more weeks and the wait will be over... hopefully.

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Not comparing a lowly 5D to a Hasselblad H4D-200MS but that camera also has a look that is inescapable and for that matter so does 15/70 Imax. Part of that inescapability is that larger than s35 sensor size. It's something that multiplication crop factors can only begin to describe. It's like the difference between looking out of a large floor to ceiling window and a small window that you have to step in close to get a similar angle of view. The exprience is not the same and since the 5D is one of the few cameras I know that shoots video on a larger than s35 size, of course it has an inescapable look. Grade wise there is no look that can be pulled of in GH2 that can't be pulled of in a 5D Mark II. The GH2 better blends in with other stuff in that it has very few tell tale qualities. Everything that plauges the GH2 plauges most other HDSLRs. The footage looks a lot more like traditional video than film and there are many ENG video cameras that out resolve the the GH2 so it doesn't stand out in that regard either. It doesn't have that one thing that stands out where the 5D does have something inescapable about it.

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Originally posted by Roman View Post
    Well, it's just my opinion. I actually sold my 5DII for the GH2. The reason being, was that with the right lens, the footage simply had a more of a cinematic look than what I was used up until that point. I always underestimated the GH2 because I didn't see what Pro's were doing with it. Once I saw some seriously skilled people put it to use... I couldn't believe it. It becomes another camera altogether if you're good at grading, know your lenses and apply the hack. You could say something similar of the 5D, but the GH2 has a much more volatile scale for the potential end-result of the footage.

With a 5D, no matter what lens you use, no matter what grading style is applied... it has this look that's inescapable. You can sense it's 5D material from a mile a way and there's no way around it. GH2 footage may start out sterile or "lacking" but the ability to transform it, and get the look you want, simply cannot be matched by any DSLR. It's like fresh play-doh, being much more pliable than some that's been used a few times before.
    I would love to see even one example of good accurate skin tones from the GH2 in a dynamic lighting situation. It's not possible! It can only be done with flat lighting so the limitation is huge. The camera is not capable of it so it doesn't matter how good the people lighting and shooting are if the tool can't do it. The Zacuto shoot shoot out is a clear example of this along with the thousands of videos on vimeo and youtube that only affirm my position. I am not claiming that the 5D has good skin tones but at least they are not as bad.

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    It's all a matter of preference. Stating that the GH2 is better in every way is well, very fanboyish. I am not saying this to be offensive since there are certain things that I am also a fanboy of but when it comes to tools I use for work I can't afford to take the fanboy approach. I ddin't decide to keep the 5D because it's awesome or something. I kept because once you add all of the hacks filters etc, The 5D is less of a compromise than the GH2. So it is obvious to me that the GH2 has better resolution and less artifacts with the hack but it does nothing to improve it's color rendition, skin tone rendition, dynamic range, low light capability, high light capability and overall film like look in a significant way.
    Also something that is hard to measure objectively is how well the 5D does in mixed light environments as opposed the GH2. In those regards the difference is as night and day in favor of the 5D just as the difference is night and day in favor of the GH2 when it comes to retaining fine details due to better resoluiton and less compression. Also there is a good work around on the 5D for moire and aliasing which is the VAF-5D2. There is no such equivalent filter that can be used for the GH2. All the filters that I have seen to used in conjunction with the GH2 soften the footage to the point that it negates it's resolution advantage. So aliasing and moire is another area where I much prefer the 5D Mark II. Specially when it comes to pepople's hair. The GH2 has more res to show off it's moire and aliasing issues. The VAF-5D2 filter isn't perfect but it helps mitigate the issues extremely well in most real world situations really quite a marvelous little filter. Wish they had one of these for the GH2. Might have kept it for shooting landscapes, city scapes, establishing shots etc,and other really wide shots where people may be at a distance or not in the shot at all and and skintones where not as big a deal.

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I have both the hacked GH2 and 5D2 and I would not say one is better than the other. If I wanted a film look that would intercut with the BMC it would be the 5D2 rather than GH2 because of flesh tones and DR is so much better on the Canon.
    Well, it's just my opinion. I actually sold my 5DII for the GH2. The reason being, was that with the right lens, the footage simply had a more of a cinematic look than what I was used up until that point. I always underestimated the GH2 because I didn't see what Pro's were doing with it. Once I saw some seriously skilled people put it to use... I couldn't believe it. It becomes another camera altogether if you're good at grading, know your lenses and apply the hack. You could say something similar of the 5D, but the GH2 has a much more volatile scale for the potential end-result of the footage.

With a 5D, no matter what lens you use, no matter what grading style is applied... it has this look that's inescapable. You can sense it's 5D material from a mile a way and there's no way around it. GH2 footage may start out sterile or "lacking" but the ability to transform it, and get the look you want, simply cannot be matched by any DSLR. It's like fresh play-doh, being much more pliable than some that's been used a few times before.

Leave a comment:

• Taikonaut
    replied
    Originally posted by Roman View Post
    Well hacked, the gh2 is obviously superior to the 5dII/III in every way. But, once we get our hands on the BMC, the GH2 will make a damn fine B cam. I may even pick up one more since they're so useful. The cool thing is that the GH2 has a similar cadence to the BMC in regards to motion and will really cut nicely together. Best of both worlds.
    I have both the hacked GH2 and 5D2 and I would not say one is better than the other. If I wanted a film look that would intercut with the BMC it would be the 5D2 rather than GH2 because of flesh tones and DR is so much better on the Canon.

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Well hacked, the gh2 is obviously superior to the 5dII/III in every way. But, once we get our hands on the BMC, the GH2 will make a damn fine B cam. I may even pick up one more since they're so useful. The cool thing is that the GH2 has a similar cadence to the BMC in regards to motion and will really cut nicely together. Best of both worlds.

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied
    Originally posted by Kholi View Post
    I disagree with just about everything David says, especially regarding the GH2 color, DR, etc.

But, different eyes for different people.
    I am so glad there are people who disagree with me and agree with you! I was able to sell my GH2 for used for $600 dollars! Not much less than what I payed for it new. So glad to be rid of it. More money for new gear!

Leave a comment:

• KyleMcConaghy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kholi View Post
    I feel like I'm going to be overtly satisfied with the Magic Cam, once I change the mount.
    Has there been any more talk regarding the mount? Is it potentially possible to change it? I was assuming not, but that would be pretty cool if so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X