X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rexbron
    replied
    Originally posted by David View Post
    Huge blessing not to have it built in. Maybe Mosaic Engineering will build an after market one like the ones they did for the 5D and 7D so that if you have a shot that demands it you can choose to put it in.
    The mosaic filter is imo a hacked solution to compensate for the terrible scaling algorithms implemented in the 5D and fixed the aliasing at the expense of (perceived) sharpness. I would agree with JB, you're better off with light diffusion (1/16 BPM for example).

Leave a comment:

• mbeck
    replied
    I'm all for leaving the filter out and letting 3rd party's sort out the filter question. Weather it's a screen in front of the lens, or a pro-mist etc. on the front of the lens.

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    mathematically perfect aa filter will only cut beyond Nyquist limits but in real word it never happens...
    example: http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/03/s...ution_king.php
    12mp sensor with light aa filter has better resolution than 16mp with conservative one.....
    u can check dpreview , almost all camera have resolution well below their limits...
    and there is one other thing , cameras without aa filter have better color separation (because aa filter is essentially blur filter ) and more film like aesthetics ...
    Last edited by vladnik; 07-27-2012, 05:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• razz16mm
    replied
    There is a big difference between a 39mp camera like the Hassy or a 10.3mp camera like the Leica compared to a 3mp BMCC. Artifacts show up a lower resolution in relation to the full frame.
    The illusion of extra detail without AA is just that. Illusion. It is false detail caused by aliasing artifacts where subject detail exceeds the Nyquist limits. There is no true detail beyond Nyquist limits.
    If you zoom down to the pixel level, you will find true resolution muddied by aliasing artifacts that would be resolved with a proper AA filter. It only looks superficially sharper at first glance.
    Still shooters seem to prefer that hard edged aliased look. I don't.
    Last edited by razz16mm; 07-27-2012, 05:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• daveswan
    replied
    If this cam is as popular (Amoung a certain market segment) as we all think it will be, then I'm sure third-party AA filters will be made, even if BM don't make one themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Yaso
    replied
    The fact that this video is coming out now makes me hopeful that the camera really will be shipped this month.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDeme
    replied
    Originally posted by vladnik View Post
    aa filter kills resolution and i'm glad that bmc doesn't have one ....
    pixel size is similar to leica M9 and i dont hear that many people complain about moire ....
    nevertheless if there are some aliasing and moire use black pro-mist filters....
    Am no DP but surely the technique to solve moire is similar for stills as it is for motion, adjust the aperture and therefore focus and then sort the rest in post processing ?

Leave a comment:

• vladnik
    replied
    aa filter kills resolution and i'm glad that bmc doesn't have one ....
    pixel size is similar to leica M9 and i dont hear that many people complain about moire ....
    nevertheless if there are some aliasing and moire use black pro-mist filters....

Leave a comment:

• daveswan
    replied
    So....this is ProRes down to H264....My brain is now trickling out of my ears.

*Drools into the keyboard*

I want one (The girl as well as the Camera )

At least I'm now at ease with putting £500 down on one, now I just have to find the rest of the cash

Leave a comment:

• Brian@202020
    replied
    Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Better than expected....

Perhaps this is asking for too much, but could you do a side-by-side comparison with the Alexa?
    I'll be doing a Epic, Scarlet, BMC test shortly after I get it.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied
    Better than expected....

Perhaps this is asking for too much, but could you do a side-by-side comparison with the Alexa?

Leave a comment:

• FabiŠn Matas
    replied
    Ok I just realized It was proress footage, I'm crying :P

Leave a comment:

• Brian@202020
    replied
    Footage looks great, but I'm very disappointed about the lack of AA filter. I'd rather wait another month, for them to do it. I've been very positive and hopeful up until now, and many times fought off the nay sayers. This is the first time part of me is feeling regret. The good thing is this camera will be very popular, so a 3rd party like Mosaic Engineering will most definitely come up with a solution. Still, I'm kind of bummed tho.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not saying I wanted a permanent one over a removable one. I just think a removable one should have been included.
    Last edited by Brian@202020; 07-27-2012, 04:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tabacula
    replied
    This looks very alexa-ish, taking the vimeo factor on board this footage looks very organic. Should be very easy to beat this stuff up in post.

Leave a comment:

• Roman
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDeme View Post
    I finally got a chance to AirPlay this from my iPad to my 65" Plasma TV and it looks simply outstanding, especially given its H.264. Even when I put the $3000 down I never imagined it would produce this sort of quality image and am glad I gave the Canon 5D Mark III and the D800 a miss.

By the way, what does it matter what color grading has been done....could have as easily been given a Transformers look as Bleach Bypass old school look. What difference does it make given its basically a demo reel?

At the end of the day, when I sit in the normal position on the couch and watch this vid it is simply stunning for a $3000 camera.
    Just think for 3k, you're pretty much getting something comparable to a camera 26 x the cost. This is the first real game changer since the 5D. Is it hard for anyone to wait after seeing this footage? I mean, I'm getting jittery just thinking about holding this thing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X