No announcement yet.

Pool Shark. New footage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my guess as to the difference between BMDCC moiré (top) and DSLR line-skipping moiré (bottom, far worse).

Comment

• Posted on EOSHD

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I just had to point out something: I used to have a chair like that. It's not actually moire like what happens with a lot of other DSLR footage that's caused by aliasing. This is actually caused naturally by the fact that you are looking through two layers of mesh. It's imposable for the front mesh the line up exactly with the back mesh so you see a moire pattern.**It's a completely naturally occurring optical effect that you would see with your naked eye. Another way you can tell this is the case is that the pattern doesn't change or move every frame like normal moire caused by aliasing or the simple fact there is no moire anywhere else.

Thanks!

Comment

• I don't hope any of you are referring to the overlapping patterns moire(the black zebra stripes), but instead, the color moire. One being an optical effect and other being a sensor artifact!

Comment

• Originally posted by Philip Lipetz View Post
          Posted on EOSHD

Hi everyone, this is my first post but I just had to point out something: I used to have a chair like that. It's not actually moire like what happens with a lot of other DSLR footage that's caused by aliasing. This is actually caused naturally by the fact that you are looking through two layers of mesh. It's imposable for the front mesh the line up exactly with the back mesh so you see a moire pattern.**It's a completely naturally occurring optical effect that you would see with your naked eye. Another way you can tell this is the case is that the pattern doesn't change or move every frame like normal moire caused by aliasing or the simple fact there is no moire anywhere else.

Thanks!
          I agree, as somebody who has this exact type of chair with 2 layers of mesh, if you look at it from any angle other than straight on, the interference or moire pattern occurs. And this is looking at it up close with the naked eye. It's pretty much impossible not to see moire in this instance. And in the video, it isn't false color being introduced by the moire, but simply the color coming through the mesh itself. When I look at my chair, the 2 layers of mesh exhibiting the moire pattern also reflect the color of the seat coming through just as it appears in the video.
          Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

• Now that the moire discussion is solved, somebody please point out to me where the aliasing issues are. My contacts must have a built-in AA filter, because I can't spot aliasing anywhere in that sweet looking hipster paradise of an apartment.

Comment

• For anyone interested, I'm currently uploading a video I just took right now exhibiting the exact same pattern shown in Pool Shark. I have the same double layered mesh backing on my chair and took some time to really examine it. With my naked eye, it looks EXACTLY the way it does in this video. The main shadows within the mesh are more of a design caused by the way light is filtering through the curved mesh, and inducing shape changes from a perceptual parallax, and the detailed moire pattern is inevitable with fine patterns like this... even to the naked eye.

Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Comment

• what I find most interesting is how filmic this footage looks, very excited

Comment

• Re: Color shift on pool table at :39

Originally posted by John Brawley View Post
                  I'm 99% sure it's not on the original. I'll redo the upload tomorrow.

JB.
                  Good to hear. Thanks.

Comment

• I imagine a similar camp fire discussion might have been happening back in the day.....Ugg and Grunt were probably talking about the features of the new rocks that they were using for cave dwelling.

Ohhh, and have you seen that new model, think they call it flint....really, flint that's a funny name...what's it do ? Well I hear you can use if for cutting and it causes less noise and is cleaner than bashing, last longer so you can use it moire and it creates less artifacts.

Gotta get my hands on one of those, are they released yet....no, still testing and looks like there will be delays.

Well they better release it soon because I don't want to be the only one who is still using rocks to bash when everyone else is using flints and cutting.

Yeah but I'm a bit worried, because what if I give up my rock and it turns out the flint is not as good as they say ?

Just around this time, one of Ugg's friends, Groan walks up to the fire and says.....have either of you guys heard about this new thing under developlement...think they are calling it a knife ??
                    Lotsa Zeon thingos with thousands of cute cores...enough is never enough

www.andrewdeme.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/andrewdeme
                    www.facebook.com/andrewdeme
                    http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewdeme

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Comment

• Reaction to getting the camera in the mail:

Last edited by nickjbedford; 07-27-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
                        Reaction to getting the camera in the mail:

lol.

If I'm interpreting this analogy correctly, The rock = HV20 w/DOF adapters, The flint = DSLR's, and the knife = BMCC baby, cut through the gnarliest of sheep wool. We ain't freezin this winter, we got perfectly tailored wool jackets! High five hairy caveman!

Comment

• Can see this clause being added to the early adopter testing contracts......and you hereby agree that as part of the approved early adopter testing program, you will ensure no mesh chairs appear in any frame of the video.
                          Lotsa Zeon thingos with thousands of cute cores...enough is never enough

www.andrewdeme.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/andrewdeme
                          www.facebook.com/andrewdeme
                          http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewdeme

(I reserve the right to edit, modify or delete any content I create anywhere at anytime...it probably wasn't that good anyway)

Comment

• Originally posted by AndrewDeme View Post
                            Can see this clause being added to the early adopter testing contracts......and you hereby agree that as part of the approved early adopter testing program, you will ensure no mesh chairs appear in any frame of the video.
                            So true, wish JB could go back in time and remove the chair. Replace it with a $30 rustic looking chair off craigslist to match the room.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman View Post
                              Wait... you have a girlfriend? I thought all of us who stalked these forums were single? The more you know...
                              The real question is; are we single because stalk these kinds of forums? Or do we stalk these kinds of forums because we're single?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grug View Post
                                The real question is; are we single because stalk these kinds of forums? Or do we stalk these kinds of forums because we're single?
                                My brain hurts.
                                Randy Walters
                                boundlessinformant.com

Comment

Working...
                                X