Blackmagic Pocket + Kowa Anamorphics + Blackmagic Hyperdeck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackmagic Pocket + Kowa Anamorphics + Blackmagic Hyperdeck

Cropped Version (It will seem as though there has been film grain applied, trust me, not one bit. I recommend downloading the near 1GB file to assess.)

https://vimeo.com/75736289

Uncropped Version

https://vimeo.com/75740300

Really been itching to try out Blacklist Digital's Kowa Anamorphic lenses on the Pocket Camera and 2.5K. Actually had a shoot that for the 2.5K combo, but opted out for Cooke S4 Minis instead.

Also took this opportunity to test the HDMI out with a Hyperdeck, as I know many are interested in skipping the SD cards for ProRes and going with an external recorder. Hope this helps some of you.

So much Venice test footage right now, but what the heck, here's some more.

HARDWARE:

Pocket Camera
    BMD Hyperdeck + Sandisk 240gb SSD
    Kowa Cinema Anamorphics (40, 50, 75, 100)
    Hot Rod PL mount
    Viewfactor Pocket Camera Cage w/Hot Rod PL support bracket, full system.
    Schneider 1.2, .9, and .9 Grad in LMB-5 Mattebox
    TV Logic 5.6"
    My shakey hands under an unbalanced camera.

SETTINGS:
    800ISO
    ProRes Film Mode
    172.8 Shutter

Zero grain added, zero keys, zero masks.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Is the image vertically stretched slightly?
    Cool look though, my plan with the pocket is to have the hyperdeck and a vmount in a backpack so i can shoot for hours at a time and still look like a tourist with a point and shoot. Already tried the v mount in a backpack walking around sydney on the weekend and it worked great. Just haven't got to testing the shuttle yet, thanks!
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

First thing I thought to myself, slightly stretched vertically. Big ana fan here, Kholi, thanks for sharing the goodness.

Comment

Yeah it's slightly stretched, just fixed it.

Stare at it so long and it starts looking normal.

Will re-upload.

Comment

Fixed both.. I think. X_X

Comment

Great stuff considering the time of day. That rig must have weighed a ton!

Comment

As always, appreciate the tests Kholi. Still difficult to really grab that anamorphic spatial voodoo except a bit more on the longer focal lengths.
              Steve Lee Jean
              Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Tierney View Post
                Great stuff considering the time of day. That rig must have weighed a ton!
                Actually it was just the weird balance from the mb hanging off of the front, and being on a 75 and 100 to try and throw backgrounds out of focus. The 40mm wasn't working properly and the 50 was still kind of too wide.

The lenses are really slow as well, 100's a T3 and the 75 is a T2.8, a lot of this stuff is after sunset. I've been impressed with how this camera handles lowlight.

Originally posted by innerspark View Post
                As always, appreciate the tests Kholi. Still difficult to really grab that anamorphic spatial voodoo except a bit more on the longer focal lengths.
                Agreed, the sensor's too small for it, that's why I was on the 75 and 100 for most of the two days, which is really damned telephoto on the camera hence all the shake.

Comment

Working...
                X