No announcement yet.

Wow - really cinematic ProRes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of the reason I loved it was the almost complete absence of the usual predictable staples of Vimeo uploads in this era - lens flare, shallow focus, log grade...
    This had plenty of deep focus, great compositions, and a lovely grade.

Comment

very nice! The last shot didnt bother me at all. If Andrew didn't point it out I would not have noticed anything.
      Darren Scott
      Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

The light in this was beautiful. There are so many incredible DPs out there, it really is a golden age for cinematography.
        director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
          The light in this was beautiful. There are so many incredible DPs out there, it really is a golden age for cinematography.
          And this is just the beginning.
          fluoro.com

Comment

Any idea what they are talking about with "CLC mapping" when discussing the grading process they used?

From the comments on vimeo:
            "Thank you Kassim!
            For this project we used a kodak2383 LUT, with CLC mapping - it adds rich color and contrast to the image, while still looking natural. We also added a bit of 35mm kodak vision 500T grain, to add a little life, but unfortunately the compression eats fine grain."

Comment

Looks great. Watched it on a 27" LPS monitor in full screen. Sat back about 6' and enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ecw218 View Post
                Any idea what they are talking about with "CLC mapping" when discussing the grading process they used?
                CLC Mapping = Constant Luminance Clipping:

A color outside the destination gamut will be clipped to the nearest color on the target gamut “shell” with identical luminance. This is the default clipping method used for display LUTs.
                http://download.autodesk.com/us/syst...user_guide.pdf

In the Kodak LUTs shared from Reduser by Bjorn/Juan, they're the ones labelled "ConstLclip".
                Blackmagic Design
                My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                  Thanks!
                  Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

Comment

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
                    very nice! The last shot didnt bother me at all. If Andrew didn't point it out I would not have noticed anything.
                    Yeah, I'm being too picky. Watched it again and the last shot is fine.

So many great shots, hard to pick favorites. All of the detail shots are great. Walking toward camera at :11, Cat jumping through window at :25, rear view mirror at :40, looking out the window at :45, and the CU at :53 are my top picks, or really just the whole piece.

The music/soundscape was thoughtfully done and really adds to the imagery.
                    www.motionplaces.com
                    andrewjulian

Comment

Originally posted by Kholi View Post
                      ProRes is awfully amazing on this camera, I don't know why people discount it because it's not RAW.

I almost typed a curse word, but it is PLENTY for most projects if you expose properly.
                      In your experience, would you say it is better to overexpose or underexpose when shooting ProRes?
                      I discovered that you can overexposure slightly and bring it down in post without losing highlights.
                      When "normally" exposing or underexposing the grain can crop up.

Comment

Very lovely. Footage is beautiful. Would like to see the same thing with less washed out blacks.

Comment

Great example on how to choose locations, weather conditions and even the wardrobe properly.

You need a talent for that. Grading can't solve everything in post, you can see that when people are playing with some early camera footage released for the masses. You won't get a "Hollywood-look" from any source. Learn about color-themes first, and get the right mood.

Comment

Must be an embedded Vimeo video because it doesn't show up on my iPhone and iPad. I'm on set and I won't be able to get to a computer with wifi until later tonight. Is there any chance Frank or someone can post a link? I'd love to see what you guys are talking about.

Edit: sorry I see it was already posted farther down the thread.

Comment

Wow! Very nice! Can't wait to watch this on something other that an iPad. I might need to check out that LUT.

Comment

thx frank for sharing this! it looks so filmic and shows the unique style of the bmc..so nice to hear it was shot on prores
                                GRÉGORY

Comment

Working...
                                X