BMCC attends St. Paddy's Parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMCC attends St. Paddy's Parade

Went to the parade w/ the BMCC to catch all them skin tones and crazy colors.

https://vimeo.com/62011758

Edit: looks like something happened in the encode- a dropped frame appears in the video although not in the original footage. I'll probably have to re-up it if I have time later.
    Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Did you shoot raw or prores? Looks nice but the footage could use a little more contrast and saturation!
    -John Bauer-

Comment

It nice, but get yourself a monopod and next time focus close on some faces. It's 3 minutes of the same angle of view.

Comment

Originally posted by dustylense View Post
        It nice, but get yourself a monopod and next time focus close on some faces. It's 3 minutes of the same angle of view.
        Well, it is a parade. I didn't exactly have much of a choice when it came to angle of view. There was essentially one place I could actually get a shot without tons of people in my way. Also, since it's a prime lens, it's fixed focal length which means you can't zoom in. If I had the 24-105 there, I could have done that. Although, I did enjoy just taking a "back seat" point of view and capturing the action from a sort of distance.

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks for posting Roman. I love what I see coming out of this camera. I can't wait to just get out and play with this camera. So far I've only been able to shoot with it on jobs.
          Push for greatness. Live to inspire.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman View Post
            Well, it is a parade. I didn't exactly have much of a choice when it came to angle of view. There was essentially one place I could actually get a shot without tons of people in my way. Also, since it's a prime lens, it's fixed focal length which means you can't zoom in. If I had the 24-105 there, I could have done that. Although, I did enjoy just taking a "back seat" point of view and capturing the action from a sort of distance.
            It's not to knock what you filmed or how you presented it. It's to say, next time.... Here is a little challenge to you try sometime. In fact it's a great exercise for anyone to do every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by teh View Post
              Did you shoot raw or prores? Looks nice but the footage could use a little more contrast and saturation!
              Yeah I shot DNxHD Film Log. I know others do put a bit more saturation and contrast in... although honestly it's not really my style. I generally add "just enough" saturation to look decent. But yeah, I could have definitely played around with curves to get it to "pop" way more than it appears at the moment. To avoid spending too much time on random footage like this, I actually corrected one shot, and then applied the same look to all the other clips without any modification- it's too tedious for something like this : )

Are you posting footage from your film soon? Would be great to check that out!

Comment

Sheesh! He's just having fun shooting with his new toy. People sure do say some stupid shit online.
                www.motionplaces.com
                andrewjulian

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                  Sheesh! He's just having fun shooting with his new toy. People sure do say some stupid shit online.
                  Dude, I'm a fan of Romans work. Settle down. Just trying to pass some things that helped me along over to him. Kinda what the point of a forum is for. Did you sit around film school and just all clap at each others films, or did the instructor encourage discussion which sometimes involved what people did wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
                    Nah, it's all good. Most all criticism is helpful. I'd have the same recommendation for others- close ups, detailed face shots etc. which is something I like to do normally, just didn't have my preferred lens available. The only reason I posted the footage is because it was relevant to St. Paddy's.

One day I'll take an epic road trip with the blackbird stabilizer and try to get something like what you got going on. That stuff belongs on an IMAX screen or HD Discovery haha.

Comment

Originally posted by dustylense View Post
                      Dude, I'm a fan of Romans work. Settle down. Just trying to pass some things that helped me along over to him. Kinda what the point of a forum is for. Did you sit around film school and just all clap at each others films, or did the instructor encourage discussion which sometimes involved what people did wrong?
                      No worries guys... No one ever criticizes my crappy footage anyway, I'd rather hear about what improvements I could make than pretend that it's the best it could look. I don't think he was responding to you. But yeah, good points all-around on using a zoom getting close-ups, monopod to see over the crowd etc... all very valid and would have obviously made the footage much better.

Comment

Roman, the footage looks great. The color and contrast are BMC. Enjoy that camera man.

Comment

Roman, would you consider doing a BMCC ProRes/DNxHD exposure tutorial? Since I've never even held a BMCC, I'm rather intimidated, and somewhat confused, on how to expose for these formats correctly - the reason I'm asking you this is because you seem to really nail the exposure well in all your BMCC clips thus far. I plan on using ProRes/DNxHD far more than RAW - I'd love to understand the whole "expose to the right/push the highlights" thing in more detail before my camera arrives
                          My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Comment

@Simon, yeah exposure I think is one of the non-issues with this camera actually. Unlike a DSLR where everything is so unforgiving when you expose wrong. ProRes / DNxHD has quite a bit of latitude to work with in shadows and highlights. The kind of footage that ends up looking the best, is when doing what JB says about slightly overexposing. I make sure no surfaces are ever overexposed (flat walls that can't be brought back etc). If the zebra shows bits of clothing or small patches of overexposure here and there, I don't even think twice about it because it's easy to deal with.

In post, it's SOOO nice to have that log / slightly overexposed image. That's when it's like clay- ready to mold into whatever you want it to be. Maybe I'll make a quick video about my grading workflow. I use FilmConvert in most of my footage, but it's not necessary at all, since I use very little of it.

Curves, ranged saturation and a bit of 3 way color should be enough to get exactly the look & exposure level you want. One thing I've noticed is how my footage along with many other's here at times has a color cast when slightly underexposed. It can't really be defined though... sometimes it's red (not necessarily from IR polution) or green. It's super easy to fix though w/ 3-way or color contrast. I'll make a video soon.

Comment

Working...
                            X