Nikon 35mm 1.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon 35mm 1.4

Testing out my old trusty 35mm 1.4 ais on an overcast evening as my buds get ice cream

http://vimeo.com/61085060

Camera's on my shoulder with a zacuto evf and ki pro mini as an hdmi converter/audio recorder/counter balance. They work well together. Though it's power hungry and the ki pro takes a minute to boot

Been on about 10 production days with the camera. Solid. No problem being on 10+ hrs at a time.

nova*light ++ youtube comedy ++ twitter

Nice. What adapter do you use?
    Push for greatness. Live to inspire.

Comment

I've tried a ton of them. I like these so far: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tight, not sure I can say play free, but they essentially are with the old nikons since their barrels have little resistance. Having the lever to change aperture is like having a stepless iris barrel. though you can't tell where your f-stop is, other than by eye.

Comment

Good stuff. I've been thinking about getting some Nikon glass. The last time I had anyone was when the d80 came out...
        Push for greatness. Live to inspire.

Comment

Originally posted by Clyde View Post
          I've tried a ton of them. I like these so far: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tight, not sure I can say play free, but they essentially are with the old nikons since their barrels have little resistance. Having the lever to change aperture is like having a stepless iris barrel. though you can't tell where your f-stop is, other than by eye.
          If there is play try putting a tiny shred of a manila envelope in between the adapter and the lens. It tightens it up.
          vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Looks nice Clyde. I saw you used prores with Apple Color. I'm using Color for the time being as well (Mac Pro needs a better graphics card to run Resolve). I'm curious what your workflow/ process is for bring back the color of the film LOG, in Apple Color?

Thanks!

Comment

Can you post a couple shots of what it looks like at f1.4? I've seen some purple fringing from other vintage nikon lenses.
              vimeo.com/hearnstudios/

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Roach View Post
                Looks nice Clyde. I saw you used prores with Apple Color. I'm using Color for the time being as well (Mac Pro needs a better graphics card to run Resolve). I'm curious what your workflow/ process is for bring back the color of the film LOG, in Apple Color?

Thanks!
                Resolve unfortunately doesn't work with anything but blackmagic output cards as far as I can tell so it's sort of a non-starter for me since we use the matrox MXO boxes.

I'm not a professional colorist but I started with the film luts people have been talking about: http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?25...3540#post53540

There are MGAs that are compatible with color, I'm not sure where I found those. They're kind of buried in a long thread. After you load a lut into color, it generally look pretty crushed, but that's the starting point. After that I just played with the luma curve and increased saturation.

Alternatively, just mess with the saturation and luma curve and skip the LUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Hearnia View Post
                  Can you post a couple shots of what it looks like at f1.4? I've seen some purple fringing from other vintage nikon lenses.
                  The ice cream shots are wide open. I've seen a little bit of that, but more than that they are hazy wide open, though not that apparent in this video

Comment

Working...
                  X