Tokina 11-16mm Nikon mount test shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokina 11-16mm Nikon mount test shots

I posted this over at the Blackmagic forum and thought it might be worth sharing it here.

There have been many reports that the Canon mount Tokina 11-16mm lens does not focus to infinty so I wanted to check my Nikon mount version on the BMCC.

On Friday between a few production meeting I got a chance to shoot some test footage with the Tokina 11-16mm Nikon mount.

Nothing scientific and the conditions were typical for London in the winter with a light mist/haze.

I shot the same scene with the Carl Zeiss ZF.2 to uses as reference. On the Tokina was turned to full infinity and then back just a touch. I'm happy with the result from the Tokina. Shot wide open and then again at about f8.

As I was shooting with a simple set-up exposure was controlled with L.W.C. Fader-ND MKII. Exposure was based on the in camera zebras. I set them to 100% and then used the Fader-ND to lower the exposure until no zebras were visible (except the sun it's self).

A few DNGs can be downloaded here, includes notes:
    https://dl.dropbox.c...Tokina_test.zip

I've also uploaded 13 DNG's (single frames from 13 different shots) includes a few shots that were not in the original zip file. Grab them here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6460491/BMCC_DNGs.zip

Attached images are simple grades done in Lightroom just for reference. Download the DNGs and have a play.
    Tokina_11mm_f2_8.jpg
    Tokina at 11mm f2.8

Tokina_16mm_f2_8.jpg
    Tokina at 16mm f2.8

Zeiss_35mm_f2.jpg
    Carl Zeiss ZF.2 35mm at f2
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net

Great looking shots! Thanks so much for these DNGs!

Still bummed my EF Tokina 11-16 is a no go on the BMC... damn.
    director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

And... with no manual iris on the Nikon Tokina, assuming it's a non-starter unless the plan is wide open all the time?
      director reel

11 Blocks, debut feature on Netflix

Comment

just a use a G mount adapter and you have full control of the iris, manually of coarse.
        Originally posted by Matthew Bennett View Post
        And... with no manual iris on the Nikon Tokina, assuming it's a non-starter unless the plan is wide open all the time?

Comment

My stab at these DNG's

Frame000053.jpgFrame000070.jpgFrame000099.jpgFrame000100.jpg

Comment

Adam, that Carl Zeiss 35mm f2 shot with the bridge and boats is gorgeous and ethereal, fully expect this moment of perfect quietude to be broken suddenly by James Bond in a speedboat or dropping into the water from an unseen plane.

Comment

Decided to give it a go. Can't wait to get my hands on this thing.
              Frame000089.jpgFrame000037.jpg

Comment

Thanks Rick. There is something special about that thin mist/smog that sits over London on a cold winters afternoon.
                Adam Roberts
                www.adamroberts.net

Comment

Working...
                X