My BMCC Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
    ... Over brightened exposure is difficult to shoot without a LUT. ...
    Thanks for sharing this footage, Nick.

Did you have the LCD set to Video while the record mode was Film?
    www.peterdv.com
    Blog: http://HereForTheWeather.wordpress.com

Comment

• Yeah even when it's set to Video, the fact that it's up within the top 20% of the dynamic range makes it hard to see focus peaking and frame contents.

This may be something that could be helped with firmware that shoots ASA 800 ProRes yet, shows it rated differently (when set).

Comment

• Is there any benefit to avoiding shooting below 800asa in pro res though? Zeberas still tell you if you are clipping don't they?

Does it depend on how the camera adjusts things to reduce "asa" ie does it adjust lift, gamma, gain or a combination of all three? Does it just make a curves adjustment?

If it leaves black and white points where they are and just adjusts things on a curve to give an exposure then what would be the benefit of overexposing? After all this it what you be the first thing to do in your raw workflow anyway? If you have an image that doesn't utilise the full range of your 10bit codec then all you are doing is throwing away information. If all the information is squished in the top quarter of your 10bit log style dynamic range and then you unpack it by dropping lift and gamma, do you not end up effectively with an 8bit image?

Not trying to argue just trying to understand it myself.

Comment

• I don't think there is much trouble in rating it back to "normal" (for example, ASA 200 if you're roughly 2 stops over) as long as you still expose the sensor properly. I think it's probably just something I need to test on its own actually. Shooting over and bringing back, or rating it in the camera for ProRes.

In the end, it's either the camera or your grading suite which will do the exposure pull.

Comment

• Originally posted by nickjbedford View Post
            Yeah even when it's set to Video, the fact that it's up within the top 20% of the dynamic range makes it hard to see focus peaking and frame contents.

This may be something that could be helped with firmware that shoots ASA 800 ProRes yet, shows it rated differently (when set).

yeh this is my fear...seeing the contents of the image to actually shoot properly (focus and frame ect) if exposing to the right to give it a fat signal. I know Frank and the others have said it doesn't look nearly as "blown" on the camera LCD in video mode...but it still may be an issue to see whats going on. ah well ...when I get a camera i'll see how to deal with that
            Darren Scott
            Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

• I'm selling my Carl Zeiss Distagon ZE 35mm F/1.4 lens (Canon EF mount).

I only bought it brand new in September and haven't really used it much, hence why I'm selling. I'd like to keep it within Australia if possible but I suppose I could ship it internationally if the associated postage costs are covered.

Starting at $1,500 AUD or near offer. Bought it for about $2K. This picture is of my copy about an hour ago. Great condition with box etc.

Anyone interested?

Comment

• What are you gonna use instead Nick? Just curious.
                Blackmagic Design
                My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

• why you selling it? Not satisfied?
                  Darren Scott

Comment

• Well, I just haven't really bothered using it with the BMCC. It may come in handy, but I'm doing a bit of prioritising with personal stuff at the moment and so if I'm not using it, I figured I should sell it to someone who will. You may have noticed I've been sorta quiet on the forums lately.

I've barely used it for photography on the 5D Mark III since getting the 24-70mm F/2.8L II.

Comment

• Yeh I did kinda wonder where the heck you were...figured you were shooting up a storm . Looking fwd to seeing something more from you.
                      Darren Scott

Comment

• Haha yeah I have a music video in the pipeline for a local band though I haven't started shooting yet.

Comment

• I've put it up on eBay if anyone was interested.

http://r.ebay.com/rGaXoF

Comment

• Edit, nevermind. :P
                            Blackmagic Design
                            My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Working...
                            X