More Footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Footage

Just saw this come up. Maybe should have folded it into the other thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIAfxj7nd9k

"I love shooting directly into the light wide open"

So maybe this video will be the sample video people love, the one with the least clean image.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

vmeo https://vimeo.com/287205462

Comment

C'mon, just link to the Vimeo versions: https://vimeo.com/287205462

You might want to subscribe to that channel, at least for now.

Comment

FYI:

Apple ProRes 422 HQ
          ISO800
          Rokinon 25, 50, 80 T1.5 prime lenses

Comment

This definitely my favorite footage of the bunch. It looks incredible!

Comment

I would love to know what gimbal he was using. Also to know what nd filter would be great as well. I wonder if all these films use an ir cut nd filter. You can see some kind of nd filter in the reflections of her glasses when they are up in the balloon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tolin View Post
                "I love shooting directly into the light wide open"

So maybe this video will be the sample video people love, the one with the least clean image.

Veiling flair equals mojo.

Comment

I can definitely see the mojo in this clip. Like 50% more mojo than the other ones.

Comment

That's the winner for me! Blackmagic knocked it out of the park IQ wise. The biggest factor for me is how much better the motion cadence is on the BMPCC4K than with the GH5S or the Terra 4K. I was wondering if BM could improve the motion on this sensor, and it looks like they delivered in spades.
                    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 08-30-2018, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Dusk, the sun is almost down. Perfect light conditions. Seems some film LUT or grading applied. In this video author try to preserve highlights which is good because allows to see real sensor latitude. I notice noisy shadows even in 1080p monitor from compressed web file. Some highlights are still slightly clipped. Subjectively the camera just have less dynamic range than older BM cameras, and you probably can not recover a lot of additional stops from shadows same as from older BM cameras.
                      Seems it wins in all nominations except dynamic range. Kind of another compromise. Would love to play with RAW frames
                      Any thoughts about rolling shutter?
                      All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Comment

Originally posted by shijan View Post
                        Subjectively the camera just have less dynamic range than older BM cameras,
                        What do you mean "Subjectively"?

Of course it has less.
                        The specs say 13 stops vs the 15 stops on the Ursa - it's not exactly a secret, but on the website since day one.
                        Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
                          What do you mean "Subjectively"?

Of course it has less.
                          The specs say 13 stops vs the 15 stops on the Ursa - it's not exactly a secret, but on the website since day one.
                          I compare to Pocket/Micro
                          All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Comment

The Micro has also 13 stops.

Maybe folks should stop shooting ProRes 422 HQ and use raw instead.

Gimme that pocket for a day, and I show you what it can do ;-)
                            Last edited by Frank Glencairn; 08-29-2018, 04:27 PM.
                            Blog: http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shijan View Post
                              Dusk, the sun is almost down. Perfect light conditions. Seems some film LUT or grading applied. In this video author try to preserve highlights which is good because allows to see real sensor latitude. I notice noisy shadows even in 1080p monitor from compressed web file. Some highlights are still slightly clipped. Subjectively the camera just have less dynamic range than older BM cameras, and you probably can not recover a lot of additional stops from shadows same as from older BM cameras.
                              Seems it wins in all nominations except dynamic range. Kind of another compromise. Would love to play with RAW frames
                              Any thoughts about rolling shutter?
                              My favourite of the bunch so far, it really has those pretty as a picture movie movements in there, partly from the location but the camera did a great job capturing it. As for noise I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have been allowed to denoise or sharpen or anything that would alter the video too much.

So far it's reminding me far more of the ursa mini pro than the pocket and has a different feeling of depth to the ursa mostly due to the sensor size difference.

The main difference I'm seeing is that the users didn't have to compromise to get these beautiful images, I doubt they had to even consider crushing the shadows down or shooting 2 stops over and risk losing highlights. I'm certain it wouldn't take someone very long to shoot and grade an old pocket look themselves with the latitude provided by the camera. This to me suggests an even more capable sensor dynamic range wise than the old pocket because you don't have to risk over exposing highlights by 2 stops in order to not get crazy noise in random shadows and potentially into the low midtones.

This camera is a true successor to me now, let's hope it also doesn't bring the old pockets issues like moire, firmware and launch sensor issues. I eagerly wait to consume each of your reviews.
                              Last edited by Ryanite; 08-29-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X