No announcement yet.

More Footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the question is what are we going to see tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Tolin View Post
      I wasn't suggesting he graded it, only that it was graded extremely well - And that poor grades is something that's created a lot of what people might consider the "Blackmagic look".
      I've had Blackmagic cameras specifically ruled out as an option for a gig, simply because the producer associated the look with grainy washed out footage. So where people are complaining about the vanilla grade, I'm floored by the neutral canvas you're then able to apply that stylistic sting to. I've worked with Kinefinity footage in the past; Just getting the colors somewhat neutral took way more work than it should have (Discl. Haven't worked with it in recent years/newer cameras).
      But then again, I grew up working in post production - Others see a plain grade, I see a world of possibilities.

Exactly, it's harder to judge the DR, sharpness and color science if you have footage shot with old glass, graded teal&orange and blacks crushed beyond infinity. EVEN though that might be a very sexy look for a Hollywood blockbuster.
      Then what you perceive as poor grades is great grades for others. Is that not matter of taste?
      I was accusesd of beng a purist here because of my preference for so call sharp lens with clinical look because others felt that to get the "right look" you need to stick a flawed soft vintage lens in front of the sensor. For me the hotel shoot looks like it came from a commercial. Its not a bad thing. Those who shoot cinema will most likely hate it. The balloon shot likewise would not gel with those who does a lot of promo commercial stuff who may judge that as unprofessional. One thing is not lost on me is judging by the reactions the P4K seems capable of doing both quite successfully, is that not the mark of a good sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by kiliksun View Post
        But if i'm being honest, i probably should stfu. accurate skin-tones/colors, proper black levels, and other attributes are signs of professionalism and proper technique.
        No, don't stfu. It's easy to confuse 'gear professionalism' with professionalism on boards like this. Noone will like your work because of the accurate skin tones. All this tech talk is negligible in the end. Your opinion and taste is not, though. It's what can help you create content that people actually care about. A camera can't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
          Then what you perceive as poor grades is great grades for others. Is that not matter of taste?
          I was accusesd of beng a purist here because of my preference for so call sharp lens with clinical look because others felt that to get the "right look" you need to stick a flawed soft vintage lens in front of the sensor. For me the hotel shoot looks like it came from a commercial. Its not a bad thing. Those who shoot cinema will most likely hate it. The balloon shot likewise would not gel with those who does a lot of promo commercial stuff who may judge that as unprofessional. One thing is not lost on me is judging by the reactions the P4K seems capable of doing both quite successfully, is that not the mark of a good sensor?
          My point exactly! People need to take the clips for what they are and use their imagination for dreaming up what they could be.
          JB clearly didn't shoot the models in the hotel room trying to make it look like a Hollywood thriller. The IQ we've seen in all the footage so far seems to point to one heck of a camera though.

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

Originally posted by Taikonaut View Post
            The point Tolin and are trying to make is that there's a proper way to grade something. That's subjective. We're pointing out that a lot of what some people perceive to be the look of BMD cameras may not have much to do with the camera but instead, it has to do with how a lot of people tend to grade BMD footage.

Comment

For the record I hate Samyang/Rokinon lenses and I still think the Milvus f1.4 lenses would have handled that balloon video better.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                The point Tolin and are trying to make is that there's a proper way to grade something. That's subjective. We're pointing out that a lot of what some people perceive to be the look of BMD cameras may not have much to do with the camera but instead, it has to do with how a lot of people tend to grade BMD footage.
                I don't grade for the camera, I do so for the client and the type of shoot it suppose to represent. And I hate bloody magenta look when I don't look for it like most of the time.

Comment

Can I shoot my vampire feature on it?

Yeah.

(Fuck yeah.)

Done.
                  Filmmaker - Author
                  https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/

Youtube

Comment

Here's tonight's footage.

https://youtu.be/0Jyl4HeNh1s

Vimeo's

https://vimeo.com/286991335
                    Last edited by CineD16; 08-30-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CineD16 View Post

Super nice, even on YT.

Comment

This will make a great companion to the UMP when low light situations arrive in the fly.

Comment

Those mirror shots. Call dibs on this little tank of a camera.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                          Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by CineD16 View Post

Another superb one! I'm so excited to get my hands on the camera

Tobias N - Gaffer / Cinematographer

Comment

I don't know what it is. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the footage being released just DOES NOT look Cinematic to me. VERY video like footage. I can appreciate that it's obviously better quality than my GH5, but it's lacking that X-Factor that the Cinema and Pocket cameras had.

I've got it on pre-order but so far I'm still not sure. It could just be JB's shooting style. Will have to see it in different people's hands to see what comes out of this camera.

Comment

Working...
                                X