Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicaragua - mini documentary shot on BMPCC

Hi,

I wanted to share the latest mini documentary/promotional video I created all shot using BMPCC.
    https://youtu.be/ql2wRq9j-lM

And if you are interested, I made another video traveling to Honduras and Nicaragua and you can see that here:
    https://youtu.be/vj59uXhZBNU

Thanks for watching! Always appreciate your feedback!

For Youtube Thumbnails Nicaragua 02.jpg
    Last edited by holdenkim; 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM.

Very nice! I like very much your editing style, Holden, bravo! As for the cinematography, I love the shot at 4:24.
    How did you stabilize the camera in this project?

Comment

Thanks Alex! I used Zhiyun Crane. It's small but great with BMPCC.

Comment

Originally posted by holdenkim View Post
        Thanks Alex! I used Zhiyun Crane. It's small but great with BMPCC.
        I have always used tradition steadycam, but this gimbal seems very very good. I've just seen that there are two version, the classic one and the M-version, lighter and even cheaper..can you tell me what was your model?

Comment

This is really light and easy to use. I contemplated getting this before the trip and actually bought it 2 days before I left, but even with 1 day of practice, I was able to quickly set it up and get some good usable shots. By the way I also used it with 14mm lens.

This is what I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Zhiyun-Handhe...s=zhiyun+crane

I would highly recommend that you get a small quick release plate with it so that you can quickly attach and detach the camera from it and change batteries and stuff. They have a free iPhone app too which will let you calibrate it (not sure if it actually works, but I do it anyway). I have a smaller point and shoot camera (LX100) and when I use that camera on this gimbal, it loses the balance constantly and I think it's because this gimbal is only good for a camera with certain weight. BMPCC and other small mirrorless camera will work great, but if you need it for something smaller, I would look into M-version. Hope this helped.

Comment

This is really light and easy to use. I contemplated getting this before the trip and actually bought it 2 days before I left, but even with 1 day of practice, I was able to quickly set it up and get some good usable shots. By the way I also used it with 14mm lens.

I would highly recommend that you get a small quick release plate with it so that you can quickly attach and detach the camera from it and change batteries and stuff. They have a free iPhone app too which will let you calibrate it (not sure if it actually works, but I do it anyway). I have a smaller point and shoot camera (LX100) and when I use that camera on this gimbal, it loses the balance constantly and I think it's because this gimbal is only good for a camera with certain weight. BMPCC and other small mirrorless camera will work great, but if you need it for something smaller, I would look into M-version. Hope this helped.
            Thank you very much for this, Holden, and my best compliments again for your work!

Comment

Nice, Holden. Love seeing how folks use cameras like the BMPCC and BMMCC for doc / run-n-gun type projects.

A few quick questions: which lenses did you used? Did you record RAW & color with Resolve? I assume you used an ND filter sometimes? Any other filters?
              vimeo.com/kenfranks

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
                Nice, Holden. Love seeing how folks use cameras like the BMPCC and BMMCC for doc / run-n-gun type projects.

A few quick questions: which lenses did you used? Did you record RAW & color with Resolve? I assume you used an ND filter sometimes? Any other filters?
                Thanks, Finster! I used BMPCC for run-n-gun doc project mostly because that was the only camera I had at that time. I bought the camera when it was $500, built rigs around it and used it for Korea, Honduras, and Nicaragua trips/projects. It's an excellent camera but it has a lot of disadvantages when you use it for run-n-gun. I have a couple upcoming trips to Africa in a few months and I plan to use Canon C100MK2 that I recently purchased instead.

I used Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with speedbooster for all handheld shots and used lumix 14 f2.5 for gimbal shots. I used VND filter heavily as most of the shots were taken outside during daytime.

Thanks!

Comment

Would you happen to have a picture of you BMPCC on the Zhiyun? I'm wondering if you are using a cage along with the BMPCC to add weight. With the lumix 14 f2.5 I would think it would be too light.

Comment

Originally posted by goodgoings View Post
                    Would you happen to have a picture of you BMPCC on the Zhiyun? I'm wondering if you are using a cage along with the BMPCC to add weight. With the lumix 14 f2.5 I would think it would be too light.
                    Hi goodgoings, I don't have a picture of it, but I can tell you that I had Wooden Camera BMPCC cage without any top handle. I've never used BMPCC on Zhiyun Crane without cage, but knowing how Zhiyun Crane lost the balance with LX100, I can see how it could do the same with BMPCC if there was no cage.

Comment

Thanks Holden. Just as I thought. I tried the Movcam cage with the speedbooster and a 24mm Nikon AIS and found the setup a little on the heavy side but working. I was thinking getting a lighter cage would help.

Comment

Originally posted by goodgoings View Post
                        Thanks Holden. Just as I thought. I tried the Movcam cage with the speedbooster and a 24mm Nikon AIS and found the setup a little on the heavy side but working. I was thinking getting a lighter cage would help.
                        Movcam cage was the first one I tried and didn't like how heavy it was. I don't think I liked the top handle either, too small. I then contemplated between Smallrig and Wooden Camera when I was looking for a new cage to replace with and went with Wooden Camera cage and I'm happy with it. I still think they are too expensive though, but much lighter than Movcam cage. Good luck!

Comment

So cute!
                          I love watching travel documentaries https://travelsites.com/travel-docum...es-and-movies/ ! I'll add it to the list of my favourites
                          Last edited by alexalex; 09-06-2019, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X