Micro Cinema Camera vs GH5 Bokeh Downloadable files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Cinema Camera vs GH5 Bokeh Downloadable files

I know its not smart to shoot wide open outdoors but i really wanted to shoot at the lowest aperture and also have her talk naturally so she gets out of focus every now and then. Just did contrast+pivot, lift gamma gain, added orange to her face and thats it. very minimal. no saturation, sharpness adjustments or white balance. Have a go and share your versions.

https://youtu.be/sV6KZBshPb4
    My Youtube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

Downloaded. Any idea why my Mac isn't recognizing the GH5 P1011121.MOV file? Quicktime won't play it, and it crashed both Adobe Premiere & DaVinci Resolve.

My Mac OS is El Capitan 10.11.6.
    vimeo.com/kenfranks

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post
      Downloaded. Any idea why my Mac isn't recognizing the GH5 P1011121.MOV file? Quicktime won't play it, and it crashed both Adobe Premiere & DaVinci Resolve.

Not sure im using windows . Can anyone help?
      My Youtube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/jsfilmz

Comment

Originally posted by Finster View Post

10 bit GH5 files don't work in premiere nor resolve on a mac...yet. If that seems ridiculous and stupid to you, then it's a sign that you're sane and normal.

They need to be transcoded to proves or other codec for now. I use EditReady to transcode to prores.

Comment

Originally posted by _OZ View Post
          They need to be transcoded to proves or other codec for now. I use EditReady to transcode to prores.
          Thanks for the tip!
          vimeo.com/kenfranks

Comment

The softer bgrd bokeh on the larger sensor of the GH5 vs the smaller S16 sized Micro sensor makes sense, but I was really surprised at how the GH5 handled the details on her face- it really softened up her fine details in a way that was flattering to her. By contrast the Micro seemed to bring out all the little bumps and blemishes and made her face look a bit more harsh (especially on her chin area). Normally I would expect that kind of "show every bump & blemish" result from the 4k sensor, not the 1080. Very interesting. It doesn't look like you buzzed the focus on the GH5 stuff, either. The ProRres on the Micro seems to do a similar softening, so it's probably a RAW vs. compressed format thing....
            Last edited by keithlango; 06-04-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

The focus is definitely behind her eyes on the GH5 clip, earrings are sharp and specular reflections in her eyes are not. Not that it really makes that much difference, I'm looking at all 3 versions in Resolve and any magnification of unflattering details is mostly about how you push contrast in the grade. The BM footage seems to have more color noise and color moire in her eyebrows and hair, 16 bit raw isn't going to change that.

I think the grade makes it difficult to see the differences between these cameras which is small, I think Micro VS. GH5 is more about features than IQ. Maybe a dynamic scene would be more telling.

Comment

GH5 footage her face is definitely out of focus, so the GH5 isn't softening up anything. Does that thing have focus peaking? Are these cameras using the same lens? If you are zooming the lens with the camera in the same spot to match frame composition then you are making your depth of field measurements inconsistent.

Regarding depth of field: I don't know how far away the background is, but the GH5 is almost a solid color. At least in this test, I prefer the Micro. It's hard to compare without knowing the background distance, lens and focal lengths used. A better test of bokeh would compare some form of background lights. Even then, bokeh style is more so a product of the lens rather than the sensor.

As for coloring it helps to bring back some of the saturation and the reds so the subject's face doesn't look so..dead

Comment

In the Youtube vid he says he uses a 135mm f2.0 wide open. The GH5 takes saturation a little easier than Pro Res from the Micro, this grade is very similar for both cams, I had to push the Sat on the Micro a little more and it's still has a little less punch than the GH5. I also noticed that I could push the color on the GH5 further before it started to break up.

GH5.jpg
                  Micro.jpg

Comment

Ah I watched without audio, so I missed that information. Apologies if I came off as rash. IMO it helps to type test information out. A lot of times people watch these things on the go.

I could not open the GH5 file in any of my software when I got home so I couldn't really grade it. As for the Micro, neither the RAW or the ProRes were even close to breaking down when I pushed them. The grade of the prores is literally drag and drop from the RAW grade.

RAW
                    grade_1.1.1.jpg
                    ProRes
                    proresgrade_1.2.1.jpg
                    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 06-06-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I couldn't open the GH5 files on my machine either, I downloaded the demo version of Editready and transcoded to HQ.

Comment

Working...
                      X