Quick GH5/UM46K comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick GH5/UM46K comparison

I know a few people were asking about this on another thread. I had a few minutes on a shoot to compare both cameras with our actress.

password: test

GH5.jpg

UM46K.jpg

Hey man, thanks for sharing these.

The light on the left in the background doesn't look too good on the GH5, the highlight on the wall appears to be clipped, I can see some banding as well.

Is there a chance that I could play with the raw clips?

Comment

Originally posted by Liszön! View Post

The light on the left in the background doesn't look too good on the GH5, the highlight on the wall appears to be clipped, I can see some banding as well.

I was about to write the same thing. The GH5 is really not handling the highlight from that lamp very well. :/ And it doesn't seem to be a extreme lighting setup that is working the camera to it's limit.
      Not sure if that's from lack of Dynamic Range when compared to the 4.6 or the heavy compression just putting up banding cause it doesn't know what to do with it.
      Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Yeah the GH series doesn't handle yellow/green shades very well. I couldv'e keyed or masked that section and fixed it but I decided to keep it basic for the test.
        I will upload the raw clips later tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Cook View Post
          I was about to write the same thing. The GH5 is really not handling the highlight from that lamp very well. :/ And it doesn't seem to be a extreme lighting setup that is working the camera to it's limit.
          Not sure if that's from lack of Dynamic Range when compared to the 4.6 or the heavy compression just putting up banding cause it doesn't know what to do with it.
          Yeah, the highlights are the weak point. But I must say, that I could bring those back down since I used V Log. For this test I decided to just do an overall grade, and not key or mask areas.

Comment

These types of tests don't show much.

I'd bet if the same scene was also shot with an iPhone 6 or 7 Plus, it would also look very good and probably a lot like the GH5.

Everything changes when it starts to move.

This is why I severely dislike GH-Video....and I have owned them. (Still have the GH2)
            Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
            Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
            Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by AaronChicago View Post
              Yeah, the highlights are the weak point. But I must say, that I could bring those back down since I used V Log. For this test I decided to just do an overall grade, and not key or mask areas.
              Good to know.
              So as someone who has both cameras, are you digging the GH5? Are you finding it a compliment to the 4.6?
              Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

I will upload the raw clips later tonight.
                That's cool man, thanks.

Comment

Here are the clips straight from the cameras.

Ursa Mini 4.6K: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ojbccq0el..._C023.mov?dl=0

GH5: https://www.dropbox.com/s/51cdjfj495...00088.MOV?dl=0

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Cook View Post
                    Good to know.
                    So as someone who has both cameras, are you digging the GH5? Are you finding it a compliment to the 4.6?
                    Yeah I really like the GH5. So far I've only done a very small shoot with both. They did match up well. I just always like to have a small handheld camera in my equipment bag and the GH5 is all around my favorite. I can use prime lenses with IBIS and keep it steady. Super slow mo at 180fps. 6K anamorphic.
                    I still think the Micro and Pocket have a more pleasing image, but the other benefits of the GH5 win me over, especially since I already have the UM46K.

Comment

Nice, thanks again.

I played with it a bit.

They can be matched pretty well, worked with the curves, with less contrast the banding is not that apparent. The UM4.6K has more warmth in the skintones by default, I could boost the reds/magenta on the GH5 to get closer but then that statue in the back right behind her would be like a volcano. I wonder if underexposing the GH5 would have helped with the lamp on the left.

Comment

Nice, thanks again.

I played with it a bit.

They can be matched pretty well, worked with the curves, with less contrast the banding is not that apparent. The UM4.6K has more warmth in the skintones by default, I could boost the reds/magenta on the GH5 to get closer but then that statue in the back right behind her would be like a volcano. I wonder if underexposing the GH5 would have helped with the lamp on the left.
                        Yeah nice job. I think with some masking and keying the colors could be tweaked on the GH5. Unfortunately I won't always have the UM46K side by side with the GH5 for reference. (Or could I?) (Idea).

Comment

Build a stereo rig, all we need then are anaglyph glasses with popcorn, haha.

I am also curious how would Kholi's new GH5 LUT look on your footage. He is trying to improve highlight roll-off and skintones.

Comment

Build a stereo rig, all we need then are anaglyph glasses with popcorn, haha.

I am also curious how would Kholi's new GH5 LUT look on your footage. He is trying to improve highlight roll-off and skintones.
                            Oh wow I didn't know he had one. I used his Comet Color Side A LUT for the UM46K shot.

Comment

Oh wow I didn't know he had one. I used his Comet Color Side A LUT for the UM46K shot.

I'm actually almost done with the first version. Can't use 10-bit files yet, didn't upgrade my resolve. Anyone know how to convert 10-bit to PRoRes on Mac?

I don't think FCPX sees it either.

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
                              Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X