Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short film shot on BMCC

Hey all,

My humble little short film, "The Mountain King," has just finished its festival run and now it's going to the great server in the sky. Today it's featured on the blog Film Shortage:

http://filmshortage.com/shorts/the-mountain-king/

I shot it a couple years ago on my first cinema camera, the BMCC with a MFT mount. I no longer use this camera for my commercial projects, but it has a special place in my heart. It STILL looks good.

At the time I was enamored with the versatility of the lens mount, so I tried everything from cheap security cam lenses to old Vivitar zooms to SLR Magic primes (primarily 17 and 25).

It was my first real shoot with the camera (unboxed it the night before the first day), and I was operating the camera and directing at the same time, so there are some real lapses in quality from shot to shot. But I'm happy with the vintage feel we were able to get out of the thing. In a few scenes I think we hit the sweet spot.

Lastly, I'd like to say a big thank you to the BMCUser community for providing me with a lot of technical support in the early days with this camera. You guys got me over the hump.

I dug the hell out of that, mate!

Great film.

Thanks for putting it up here.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Thanks man! Appreciate the support.

Comment

Originally posted by Brambler View Post
        Hey all,

My humble little short film, "The Mountain King," has just finished its festival run and now it's going to the great server in the sky. Today it's featured on the blog Film Shortage:

http://filmshortage.com/shorts/the-mountain-king/

I shot it a couple years ago on my first cinema camera, the BMCC with a MFT mount. I no longer use this camera for my commercial projects, but it has a special place in my heart. It STILL looks good.

At the time I was enamored with the versatility of the lens mount, so I tried everything from cheap security cam lenses to old Vivitar zooms to SLR Magic primes (primarily 17 and 25).

It was my first real shoot with the camera (unboxed it the night before the first day), and I was operating the camera and directing at the same time, so there are some real lapses in quality from shot to shot. But I'm happy with the vintage feel we were able to get out of the thing. In a few scenes I think we hit the sweet spot.

Lastly, I'd like to say a big thank you to the BMCUser community for providing me with a lot of technical support in the early days with this camera. You guys got me over the hump.
        REALLY REALLY enjoyed this!! Talk about talent! Can you make it available to share on vimeo? I would love to add it to the Blackmagic Design Cinema channel .
        Blackmagic Cinema Camera Channel

Comment

BTW Peter, what are you shooting with now that the BMCC is not your main camera anymore?
          Blackmagic Cinema Camera Channel

Comment

Really enjoyed this
            Darren Scott
            Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Superb, Peter.

Comment

Looked fantastic! Love your style.

Comment

Yeah...checking in AGAIN to say how much I dug this. Watched it a couple times now.
                  Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
                  Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
                  Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

This was so goo! I'm glad it got some awards and recognition.
                    Really really well done.
                    Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

*Double Thumbs Up*

Looking at that image, I wonder why people give up on this wonderful camera....
                      https://guerillafilmsoldier.wordpress.com/

Camera
                      Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
                      Zenit Meteor 5-1 f/1.9 17-69mm
                      LOMO 16 OKS 3-10-1 f/2.1 10 mm
                      Krasnogorsk-3 pistol grip with telescopic shoulder stock
                      Fancier FC-270A Tripod with FC-02H Fluid Head

Workstation
                      Windows 10 Pro
                      Resolve 12.5.4.019
                      ASUS X99-A
                      Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 15MB
                      16GB RAM Corsair DDR4 2133MHz CL13 Vengeance
                      ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB
                      Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD
                      Seagate Desktop 2TB HDD

Comment

This is absolutely great. The images look superb, it's things like this that really solidify how much I love the look of the BMCC/BMPCC/BMMCC. It's just so filmic looking and you really nailed it with this short. Especially since by the sounds of it, you were learning whilst shooting!

Comment

Originally posted by strancali View Post
                          BTW Peter, what are you shooting with now that the BMCC is not your main camera anymore?
                          For narrative and commercial work, mostly RED family. Still use the BMCC as a personal camera or for B-cam narrative work.
                          (Hoping to do another short on Super16...)
                          For documentary stuff, it's mostly Canon c300.

Thank you all for the kind words! It's great to hear that you enjoyed it.

Comment

peter-

you REALLY nailed it!

thoughtful, funny, looks great and that 70s vibe.

sweet.

please stand up and take a well deserved bow.

be well.

rob
                            smalltalk.productions

Comment

WOW! I will not reeat al of the above said, although it#s true.
                              Thanks for sharing, wonderful 12 minutes spent in my life!

Will trade my as-new BMPCC 4K v.1.0 for two new BMPCC 4K V.2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X