God created the Universe in 6 days... BMPCC Cosmic Experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God created the Universe in 6 days... BMPCC Cosmic Experiment

God created the universe in 6 days. I created it on my kitchen table in one night.

https://vimeo.com/181445710

All shots are as originally framed, no layering, no faked slo-mo. All "organically" filmed using the BMPCC and a 35mm lens. Watch in 2k for highest fidelity!

my 1st attempt and tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Forrest Schultz
    Atlas Lens Co.
    YouTube///Vimeo

That was horrible.

And by "horrible" I mean "really freakin' nice!"

Reminded me of some of the effects work I've seen in TV series openings. I quite dig this.
    Care to tell us about your techniques you used here?

Cheers!
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
      That was horrible.

And by "horrible" I mean "really freakin' nice!"

Reminded me of some of the effects work I've seen in TV series openings. I quite dig this.
      Care to tell us about your techniques you used here?

Cheers!
      Thanks Dane! Yes of course. I used a quart sized food container where I attached a 77mm cheap uv filter to one side. Put a piece of black velveteen fabric inside as the backdrop. Inkjet inks and paint along with 100w light for the rest of the effect. Recorded at 29.97 conformed to 24
      Forrest Schultz
      Atlas Lens Co.
      YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Originally posted by Revdesign Industries View Post
        Thanks Dane! Yes of course. I used a quart sized food container where I attached a 77mm cheap uv filter to one side. Put a piece of black velveteen fabric inside as the backdrop. Inkjet inks and paint along with 100w light for the rest of the effect. Recorded at 29.97 conformed to 24
        Ahhh.... it looked like layers, but you said it's not. So then I got to thinking about the shallow depth of field you had in some shots that made some of the particulate look further away. So am I correct to say that this footage is of particulate shapes that are actually a lot smaller than they appear to be in the final?
        I guess if it's only a quart-sized container then it must be.

Did you have any difficulties pinning the focus exactly where you wanted it?
        Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,

Comment

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
          ...So am I correct to say that this footage is of particulate shapes that are actually a lot smaller than they appear to be in the final?

Did you have any difficulties pinning the focus exactly where you wanted it?
          That is correct, I'd say most of the action going on and what fills the frame is contained within a ping-pong ball sized area. I stopped down the lens to about f16 for most of this, and use a lollipop and knurled exact o knife handle to mark focus. High-tech stuff and all
          Forrest Schultz
          Atlas Lens Co.
          YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Not quite the way I remember it, but parts of this are worthy of including in a modern Illuminated Bible! Now get busy on the Parting of the Red Sea!

Comment

Here you go Stewart, this is a pretty good tutorial on creating cloud tanks and how to shoot them.
              https://youtu.be/-qou5sDOO8k

Nice effects Forest, and well done!
              Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Thanks for that Timothy - very cool stuff.

Forrest - I watched yours again after watching this tutorial Timothy posted here, and I must say that your super-simple method generated some moments that were just as good. I think WHAT you drop into the water makes a big difference, and your choices were often more interesting. The sharpness some of your fluids retained is very cool.
                Can you explain what you mean about attaching the polarizing filter? Was the "food container" made of glass? or something else? And why the filter?
                And your light - it's above, yes?

Comment

The filter was really just to have an optically flat "window" to look through, i had to cut the plastic and fit the glass to it, cheaply using hotglue to seal it up (which never works 100%)

my light was placed to the side, and the container was clear. I do think the scale and what you put in the water makes a difference. Expirimenting with different types of inks and paints does the best trick. THere are moments in mine where the effect is very obvious, such as the red/ink paint billowing, but my attempt was to really give a sense of deep black space with "stars" and other small matter being born. The density of the various liquids i think helped retain that contrast between the cloudy and more defined areas.

I didn't do salt.
                  Forrest Schultz
                  Atlas Lens Co.
                  YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Familiar with Susi Sie's stuff?

https://vimeo.com/susisie/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                      Familiar with Susi Sie's stuff?

https://vimeo.com/susisie/videos
                      Nice! The video titled "Silk" is awesome.
                      Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Wow this is wonderful. Thanks for all the tips. I think I may have to try something like this

Comment

Originally posted by mr_sour View Post
                          Wow this is wonderful. Thanks for all the tips. I think I may have to try something like this
                          Thank you!
                          Forrest Schultz
                          Atlas Lens Co.
                          YouTube///Vimeo

Comment

Working...
                          X