Anyone else having UM4.6K noise issues? Here are some of my stills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else having UM4.6K noise issues? Here are some of my stills

I'm trying to decipher if this is just the way the camera sensor is or if I should send my camera in.

I shot in both 1600 ISO and 800 ISO just for quick tests and 1600 ISO is clearly not an ideal iso to shoot at but i feel like there is way more noise in these images than there should be and I feel the same for the 800 ISO images although they react a bit differently.

The blacks (as with all cameras) are the worst but they also tint blue with the camera.

Here are some of my stills so you guys can help me figure out whats going on. All images have BMD4.6k > Video lut on them. Same as whats on the camera.

These are all shot at 1600 ISO -- Notice the blanket on the bed blotched blue, and that broom is supposed to be black. None of these images are starving for light either:

http://imgur.com/a/5yTiu

These are all shot at 800 ISO -- Bed scene being the worst of the bunch but still some noise in both of the other images in the darker areas. More than what I would have wished I'd seen. It seemed way more pronounced in resolve than it does in these stills.

http://imgur.com/a/wVr83

Hopefully I'm not just being too picky but doing these tests really made me feel very uncomfortable about say.. shooting a narrative night scene for example where the light levels will be quite a bit lower than what those bed shots were.

Is this Raw?

Comment

Raw 4:1

Comment

Got to remember that these cameras do zero NR in cam. Try a little bit of NR in resolve and see what happens. I have every camera but the 4.6K so I can't give exact NR settings as I can with the other cameras.

Comment

Which cameras have NR in camera?

Comment

Almost every camera on the market has some sort of noise reduction because digital noise is just incredibly difficult to control.

Comment

Interesting, I was not aware. I thought only DSLRs and Canon cameras had that setting.

Comment

There is no noise reduction if you are shooting raw with a DSLR
                Vimeo profile
                VFX Showreel
                IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by MiniMaster View Post
                  The blacks (as with all cameras) are the worst but they also tint blue with the camera.
                  Hi, where are you based?
                  Blackmagic Design
                  My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainHook View Post
                    Hi, where are you based?
                    Los Angeles

Comment

If shadows have a blue tint please contact support and they should be able to assist you. I will let them know to expect you, but otherwise you can reference this post.
                      Blackmagic Design
                      My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

I have been shooting on location for a while an noticed a blue tint as well in the shadows. Here is a lens cap test with firmware 3.2, 5600K, Tint 0, RAW 3:1, iso 800, 4K DCI. Should i contact support?

http://imgur.com/a/ItaDb
                        Last edited by Unknown; 07-13-2016, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown View Post
                          I have been shooting on location for a while an noticed a blue tint as well in the shadows. Here is a lens cap test with firmware 3.2, 5600K, Tint 0, RAW 3:1, iso 800, 4K DCI. Should i contact support?

http://imgur.com/YPeu3wX
                          Great idea.

I will for sure contact customer support but just for good measure I will post the same test with same settings just for easy comparison.

With BMDfilm4.6k>Video Lut in resolve (lots of blue blotches in this one):
                          http://imgur.com/C57A1rO

Without LUT just flat raw:
                          http://imgur.com/lEFKukx

Settings: 800ISO, 180 Shutter, Raw 4.6k 3:1.
                          Last edited by MiniMaster; 07-13-2016, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks for doing the same test. Did you also set the tint to 0 and white balance to 5600k? Mine has a slight more blue tint. About the noise, I always need to have some NR with iso 800. Even with daylight, will post some frames later. Going to compare firmware 3.2 and 3.3 as well.

Comment

Yes, tint-0 and 5600K. I have the same problem having to apply noise reduction to every shot. I've even tried overexposing some shots by 1 stop to see if it was just the sensor needing more light but nope. Super abnormal expecially seeing others posting low light tests in 1600 ISO and I can barely get a clean image out of 800 ISO.

Unfortunately I have already sent my camera in for a bad XLR port which took about 2 and a half weeks to get back from the time I shipped, don't want to have to go through that again... :/

Comment

Working...
                              X