Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All DNGs out of my Micro Cinema are just blank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All DNGs out of my Micro Cinema are just blank.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to check with some forum members to see if you have any solutions to my problem. I looked around Google and here on the Forums for a solution or reason for this, but to no avail.

My recently-purchased Micro Cinema Camera seems to be producing DNGs that appear to be just black frames. This happens in regular RAW, 3:1 RAW and in all frame rates. It also is happening for both HFS+ and Exfat formatting of the SD card. I've tried to take a look at them on both Windows and Mac machines, without any luck there either. What seems truly weird though, is that I can play the files back in-camera and view them just fine there. It's only when I try to move them to a computer that I run into this problem.

I've tried opening them in Resolve, Premiere, Lightroom and Photoshop, without any luck. Resolve and Premiere will not even allow import of the DNGs. Lightroom tells me that there are no previews available for the files, and Photoshop tells me the following:

"Could not complete your request because the file-format module cannot parse the file."

Let me know if anyone out there has some insight on this. And thank you for having a look.

P.S. - ProRes formats are working just fine. And I can certainly shoot in ProRes for now, but I'll be honest... I came for the RAW
    -Tim Crowe
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/crowedunk
    Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/timcrowe

Can you see the folder structure on your camera card when you mount it on a reader? Try navigating Resolve to the original camera card in your computers card reader without copying them off first.
    Format the card in the camera (Not sure if you can as I don't have that model). Try a different card.
    That's all I can think of for now...
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0085719/

Comment

Can you post a DNG? Lossless RAW ideally.
      Blackmagic Design
      My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Cripes, guys! Thank you so much for the suggestions.

Some updates: One is that lossless RAW seems to be work fine now. Second is that as CB_Video had suggested, Resolve can see these DNG sequences as normal in its viewer (I hadn't checked this previously because I'm not even a light, let alone, well-versed Resolve user.) Could this be the push that was needed to get me into Resolve?

Is it normal for Adobe software as well as my Mac to not read the 3:1 DNGs? The BMCuser forum won't allow a direct upload of the 3:1 files, so following is a Dropbox link to one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/glgyrrebyf...00033.dng?dl=0
        -Tim Crowe

Comment

Premiere Pro doesn't read RAW files all that well yet... I don't think it can read compressed RAW at all.
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by Glornis View Post
            Is it normal for Adobe software as well as my Mac to not read the 3:1 DNGs?
            Yes, you need to use Resolve. Lossless RAW should work with Adobe and OSX, but not the lossy DNGs.
            Blackmagic Design
            My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Comment

Black frames for lossy DNG is a symptom of using an old version of Resolve. Update to the latest version.
              Shutter Angle: The science and magic of shooting moving pictures

Comment

Awesome! Thank you to everyone for the assistance in this. I'll make sure to update to the latest version of Resolve, and to begin learning the ropes.
                -Tim Crowe

Comment

Working...
                X