Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SF Bay National Wildlife Refuge Series

Hello,

We've been working on principal photography for a short documentary series highlighting the work of biologist at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge (try saying that out loud) over the last few months. We are continuing to film over the next six months, at least, as we aim to capture a more complete ecological (and seasonal) story of the refuge and the people who work so hard to protect it.

We've just finished a little teaser trailer and wanted to share it here. We've not yet dived into interviews, so it's truly meant to tease and hopefully help us find more funding along the way. The series is currently being produced with a BMCC (EF) and a BMPCC (with a speedbooster EF) using the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, a couple Nikkor AIs lenses and, occasionally, the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. We were hoping to start this project with the Ursa Mini 4.6K but we're holding off until the storm settles. It was all captured in ProRes HQ, edited in FCPX, and graded in Resolve. Film Convert was used at 50% near the end.

You'll notice quite a bit of noise and even FPN in the super low light scenes at the beginning, but we did what we could inside Resolve using its powerful temporal noise reduction. It's far from perfect, but hopefully those brief noisy scenes won't detract from the story in the end.

Direct link: https://vimeo.com/170122214

Thanks for watching,

Fabián
    Last edited by all2human; 06-29-2016, 08:57 PM. Reason: Added more information.
    Fabián Aguirre
    Cinematographer | Steadicam Operator | Naturalist
    The Understory

This is definitely a tease. Looks great and I want to see more of the beautiful scenery! I had to watch it without sound, but I really didn't need anything else.

Comment

Fabián, that was lovely. Did you try Spatial Noise Reduction after the Temporal Noise Reduction? It might help on your final footage, but it's not quick. Do not use "Faster" on any noise reduction. You want to see the results of "Better" I think. An overnight task perhaps!

Comment

Absolutely beautiful imagery! Did you use a steadicam on the field? Which camera did you mount?

Comment

Originally posted by tommetass View Post
          This is definitely a tease. Looks great and I want to see more of the beautiful scenery! I had to watch it without sound, but I really didn't need anything else.
          Thanks! There is so much footage I wanted to include in this teaser-- hopefully we'll have time to upload other sequences soon.

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
          Fabián, that was lovely. Did you try Spatial Noise Reduction after the Temporal Noise Reduction? It might help on your final footage, but it's not quick. Do not use "Faster" on any noise reduction. You want to see the results of "Better" I think. An overnight task perhaps!
          Rick, funny you should say that-- I added a little Spatial NR last night but it looked a little too sterile. I'll give it another go with "Better". Thanks again!

Originally posted by Retrospective View Post
          Absolutely beautiful imagery! Did you use a steadicam on the field? Which camera did you mount?
          Thanks so much. Yes, all the stabilized footage is on a Steadicam Pilot flying the Pocket Cinema Camera and (mostly) the Sigma 18-35 f/2.8 (as seen in the frame grabs below).

Cheers!

Last edited by all2human; 07-01-2016, 04:20 PM. Reason: Added frames.
          Fabián Aguirre
          The Understory

Comment

Beautiful!
            Andrew Bell
            Blackmagic Production 4K Camera
            https://www.youtube.com/user/reklama4demo

Comment

Great shots. Really love nature work.
              Ursa 4.6k, Pocket Cinema 4k, BMCC, GoPro Hero4 Black, Mavic Air, Phantom 2, Canon T3i, Lots of glass.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyGandy View Post
                Beautiful!
                Originally posted by marshallbaker View Post
                Great shots. Really love nature work.
                Thank you, both!
                Fabián Aguirre
                The Understory

Comment

Great job! A place that is close to my heart, and more or less in my backyard. Hope you can take advantage of the Pocket's focal multiplier effect and get some shots of those cute burrowing owl chicks.

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Love it man! For my doc I got the same set of lenses. Tokina 11-16, sigma 18-35 and nikkor ais lenses. Using it on bmcc mft with speedbooster bmcc. Im running tests now. But its great to see what a great image it can give. Im thinking about using a dji ronin for stablized shots. I was wondering tho. Did you use any filters? Like ND, IR cut and/or effect filters?
                      www.broodjeaapfilm.nl
                      https://www.instagram.com/perrymulder/

Comment

Originally posted by all2human View Post
                        Thanks so much. Yes, all the stabilized footage is on a Steadicam Pilot flying the Pocket Cinema Camera and (mostly) the Sigma 18-35 f/2.8 (as seen in the frame grabs below).

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing! I'm very impressed with your work!

Have you ever tried to fly the BMCC on the Pilot?

Also how were you able to record exterior dialogue on location?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wake View Post
                          Great job! A place that is close to my heart, and more or less in my backyard. Hope you can take advantage of the Pocket's focal multiplier effect and get some shots of those cute burrowing owl chicks.
                          Nice backyard, Steve! We're actually based in North Bay-- it's amazing to drive down an hour and see so many different habitats. How did you know we're featuring burrowing owls? The clips with really dry grass in the teaser are actually our most recent, where the biologists were performing owl transects. They have identified at least one nest with chicks, so that's the plan (although we're using the BMCC EF for those closeups). Thanks!

Originally posted by Marckusw View Post
                          Beautiful!
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by Perry Mulder View Post
                          Love it man! For my doc I got the same set of lenses. Tokina 11-16, sigma 18-35 and nikkor ais lenses. Using it on bmcc mft with speedbooster bmcc. Im running tests now. But its great to see what a great image it can give. Im thinking about using a dji ronin for stablized shots. I was wondering tho. Did you use any filters? Like ND, IR cut and/or effect filters?
                          It's a versatile set of lenses, isn't it? The aesthetic differences are clear, especially when we're running AIs lenses on the BMCC and, say, a more modern lens like the SIgma on our BMPCC. The Nikkors behave very differently, both in terms of sharpness and bokeh (as expected), and in warmth. It's more evident during shot matching in Resolve, but for these nature projects it's worked pretty well for us.

We used Tiffen's 77mm variable IRNDs, although I've been itching to experiment with Hoya or Firecrest as we know the Tiffen are problematic, especially at low densities. No other filters (other than high quality UV protection) were used.

Thanks for sharing! I'm very impressed with your work!

Have you ever tried to fly the BMCC on the Pilot?

Also how were you able to record exterior dialogue on location?
                          Thanks a lot! I've flown the BMCC on the pilot a lot-- in fact, it was my main camera for over a year before we bought the pocket. When rigged up on 15mm rails and a V-mount battery, it's actually the perfect weight for the pilot. Close to its limit (which is a good thing for Steadicam) but not too heavy.

As for sound, our ideal setup is a boom with an Oktava MK012 (usually with a Rycote blimp and windscreen), but when we're on our own without a dedicated location sound mixer, I usually run sound myself. For this, I generally clip the Zoom H5 to my body and attach (usually two, but up to four) Sennheiser G3 receivers to the steadicam vest. For our subjects, we feed the lavaliers through and under at least one layer of clothing, which both hides the mic from the camera but also offers a little wind protection, although sometimes that works against us (if it's really cold, for example), as our subject might add another coat mid-shoot, which might muffle the sound. You can actually hear this happening in the teaser during a few lines. Again, not an ideal scenario but it works well for us when budgets don't allow for dedicated sound capture.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Fabián
                          Last edited by all2human; 07-02-2016, 09:33 AM. Reason: Clarity
                          Fabián Aguirre
                          The Understory

Comment

Originally posted by all2human View Post
                            Thanks a lot! I've flown the BMCC on the pilot a lot-- in fact, it was my main camera for over a year before we bought the pocket. When rigged up on 15mm rails and a V-mount battery, it's actually the perfect weight for the pilot. Close to its limit (which is a good thing for Steadicam) but not too heavy.

As for sound, our ideal setup is a boom with an Oktava MK012 (usually with a Rycote blimp and windscreen), but when we're on our own without a dedicated location sound mixer, I usually run sound myself. For this, I generally clip the Zoom H5 to my body and attach (usually two, but up to four) Sennheiser G3 receivers to the steadicam vest. For our subjects, we feed the lavaliers through and under at least one layer of clothing, which both hides the mic from the camera but also offers a little wind protection, although sometimes that works against us (if it's really cold, for example), as our subject might add another coat mid-shoot, which might muffle the sound. You can actually hear this happening in the teaser during a few lines. Again, not an ideal scenario but it works well for us when budgets don't allow for dedicated sound capture.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Fabián
                            When you mount the BMCC w/15mm rails did you mount the v-mount battery on top or it's at the bottom of the sled opposite of the monitor? I don't quite understand how you weigh the max weight for the Pilot, is it just the weight on top (Camera, rails, etc...) or including the monitor and battery at the bottom of the sled as a whole?

Based on the trailer you posted, the dialog sounded really good (0:13) was that recorded with the Oktava MK012 or the Sennheiser G3?

Again, thanks for responding to these questions. I appreciate it!

John

Comment

When you mount the BMCC w/15mm rails did you mount the v-mount battery on top or it's at the bottom of the sled opposite of the monitor? I don't quite understand how you weigh the max weight for the Pilot, is it just the weight on top (Camera, rails, etc...) or including the monitor and battery at the bottom of the sled as a whole?

Based on the trailer you posted, the dialog sounded really good (0:13) was that recorded with the Oktava MK012 or the Sennheiser G3?

Again, thanks for responding to these questions. I appreciate it!

John
                              Hi John,

Apologies for the delay-- I was traveling and I'm just catching up.

The reason I nearly max-out the Steadicam using the BMCC is because I generally fly it (and the BMPCC) nearly fully rigged-- meaning, I have it on a Wooden Camera rails kit, with a V-lock battery attached to the rails in the back, and a quick release plate which allows me to switch between Steadicam, hand-held and tripod really quickly, without having to add components to the camera in between. I'll try to dig up a photo of the BMCC as I used to fly it.

As for sound, the teaser above only contains sound recorded on location with the Sennheiser lavs. Any differences in quality are due to the subjects adding layers of clothing during filming, thereby muffling the audio a bit. Usually, I am able to go in and readjust the mics so they're not buried in layers of clothing but, this time, we didn't have a chance to stop the action and readjust. Here's an example of a project I filmed and recorded using the Oktava and the Sennheiser mics on location. There are a couple instances where we had to use a lav (at 1:24) due to time constraints, but most of it is the Oktava. It's a good example of the difference in quality between the two (although, to be fair, the lav there was in a very small room full of echo and strong air conditioning we couldn't turn off).

https://vimeo.com/106207815

Hope this helps. Cheers,

Fabián
                              Fabián Aguirre
                              The Understory

Comment

Working...
                              X