Short Film w/ Pocket Camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Film w/ Pocket Camera

‘Rehabilitated from an eight-teen year prison sentence, a guilt-ridden father pursues the whereabouts of his daughter to rationalise
    his devastating actions of two decades ago.’

https://vimeo.com/170373761/83e98b805b

Shot w/ Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera in ProRes HQ
    Lenses; Sigma 18-35 1.8, Nikon 50mm 1.2, Nikon 70-200mm 4.0
    Edited in Premiere CC 2015
    Graded w/ custom LUT’s in Photoshop CC 2015

Piece for my final university submission, with a self-funded budget of roughly ú1000, and around ż months in total for production. Two months pre-production, one week principal photography, and around six weeks for post. Shot mainly with a crew no larger than 2 to 3 people, with both myself and the producer taken on multiple production roles – as you do at this level.

The original piece stood at around 15mins, but the submission had a cap of 11mins, so around 4 minutes worth of footage had to be cut, which inevitably has an effect, particularly pacing wise in this scenario – since we arrive to the concluding scene much sooner than we originally planned too. That said, we are happy with the piece, especially given the resources we had, which were – as ever – minimal at best. Grade is a little off in places, especially the concluding scene, and the sound design isn’t anything special, but I’m no colourist or sound designer, so do forgive me ..

A couple of practical’s here and there but used natural light for the most part, which was partly due to the fact it worked for the locations, but mostly due to the small budget, which of course restricted us in terms of control and time.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by martinmcgreal; 06-13-2016, 09:52 AM.

Very good work, Martin, I like very much the photography and the performances! Brav˛!

I suggest you only a couple of minor refinishing, as for the editing... look at 00,45: when you edit a close up-> full shot sequence, you should posticipate the cutpoint (close up->full shot) when the movement of the character in the full shot has finished and then cut on the full shot in the middle of action. Sorry for my bad english, I hope the concept is clear, anyway, I can explain better if you need more infos, no problem. OK, it is only a finesse, but I think that it is worth to try.

The grading is good, I think that the neutral palette of the film suits its story.

Just a question: the shot of the woman you have posted here is absolutely beautiful. What practicals have you used here? What brand, wattage, color temperature...thank you in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by alex.stefani View Post
      Very good work, Martin, I like very much the photography and the performances! Brav˛!

I suggest you only a couple of minor refinishing, as for the editing... look at 00,45: when you edit a close up-> full shot sequence, you should posticipate the cutpoint (close up->full shot) when the movement of the character in the full shot has finished and then cut on the full shot in the middle of action. Sorry for my bad english, I hope the concept is clear, anyway, I can explain better if you need more infos, no problem. OK, it is only a finesse, but I think that it is worth to try.

The grading is good, I think that the neutral palette of the film suits its story.

Just a question: the shot of the woman you have posted here is absolutely beautiful. What practicals have you used here? What brand, wattage, color temperature...thank you in advance!
      Thank you Alex.

That's a great point you make with regards to that particular cut, I completely understand what you're saying. I think why I may have cut 'mid-turn' as apposed to once he's stopped and looked, is because 1) The talents head moves to far out of the original frame for the shot to rest on him 2) Because his finishing head position in the close, isn't identical to the head position in the wide ..

As for the shot of the women .. This was lit with a 60W household bulb (can't recollect what brand/temperature) diffused inside a paper lantern providing the key, which was also black wrapped to bring the background (kitchen tiles etc.) down a stop or two. No negative fill .. There was also a practical on the stairs in the hallway providing the slightest bit of detail, which can be seen far left of the frame.

Comment

nice shots. love the Nikon 50 1.2. I shoot with it as well.
        instagram
        my work

Comment

Very well done. Bravo! Have no technical insights to offer as, well, who cares: It was a compelling story very well told. The rest is immaterial.

I normally don't care much for dialogless 'mood' pieces (which is where I thought this was going - at first), but your pacing and imagery kept me glued to the screen from the start. Would like to see a Directors Cut.

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
            nice shots. love the Nikon 50 1.2. I shoot with it as well.
            Cheers. It's a little softer than the 18-35, which can be a little frustrating when your moving in for a close up but don't retain the sharpness your accustomed too with the 18-35, but it's a solid lens nevertheless. (The 18-35 is really, really sharp in fairness)

Originally posted by UTR-Labs View Post
            Very well done. Bravo! Have no technical insights to offer as, well, who cares: It was a compelling story very well told. The rest is immaterial.

I normally don't care much for dialogless 'mood' pieces (which is where I thought this was going - at first), but your pacing and imagery kept me glued to the screen from the start. Would like to see a Directors Cut.
            Ah, wonderful. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Some really nice shots in that piece, well done. Love the color grade

Comment

Very well done. Loved all of it.
                Vimeo.com/dropbars

https://www.instagram.com/cook_it_off/

Comment

Cheers guys!

Comment

Nicely done man! Great pacing! Solid work!

Comment

Originally posted by Retrospective View Post
                      Nicely done man! Great pacing! Solid work!
                      Cheers man! Appreciate all the kind words guys ..

Comment

Awesome stuff!! Look great!

Does the pocket support the weight os zoom lenses like the Sigma 18-35(which is pretty heavy)??

Comment

Originally posted by jcm View Post
                          Awesome stuff!! Look great!

Does the pocket support the weight os zoom lenses like the Sigma 18-35(which is pretty heavy)??
                          It does indeed.

I usually have a lens support attached mind, but have done shoots without one, and experienced no issues. (Best to be safe though, and always have a lens support supporting the weight .. Afterall, there dirt cheap)

Comment

Working...
                          X