Music video film Blue Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music video film Blue Monday

Had a lot of fun making this. Shot on pocket with the tried and true sigma 18-35, Nikkor 50mm 1.2, Nikkor 85 2.0 and panny 14mm 2.5.

My role: Director, DP, Editor

Won't be released for a while but wanted to give you guys an early preview.

Thanks for watching.

pass: mistaa

https://vimeo.com/136977069

instagram
    my work

I am continually impressed by this little camera - you've used it well here. Nice work.

Comment

Man, I really like your work.

I dig the way you put all your many tools and techniques into your pieces, because in your hands at least it makes the production seem bigger in scope.
      When most people try to do that it just looks cluttered.

Great intro. Great.. Intro..
      So many great shots here it's going to be pointless to try to address them all. (I can't type that fast, lol!)

Now - I am not the best judge because I really don't care for music videos in general, but there are some things here I wanted to get into a little deeper:

Focus sharpness seemed to vary from shot to shot to a degree that it was kind of bothering me. But I don't mean the effect shots - those stand out just fine for what they are.

And a lot of the scenes had what looked like a slightly differing character, and when edited all together it was like...bumpy..for my eyes to follow, you know what I mean?
      But as I've re-watched a few times I find myself wishing you could have used that maybe as a deliberate tool - like grouping scenes in this montage that represent the same place or time. Like wide shots out moving through the city would have one STRONGER character look to them, interior close-ups could have another strong look of its own, and the girl singing could have her own more separate look too.
      I suppose this is something you could still do a bit of in post - not like re-shoots or anything.
      I was just thinking that 3 really distinct separate looks could help....man, I don't even know what word I'm looking for here...could help 'clarify' the story. I hope I'm making any sense here. I do have a major ability to ramble...

Anyway...KEEP 'EM COMING!
      Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
      Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
      Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Originally posted by UTR-Labs View Post
        I am continually impressed by this little camera - you've used it well here. Nice work.
        Thanks bruv... Same here. This little thing is a beast!

Originally posted by DPStewart View Post
        Man, I really like your work.

I dig the way you put all your many tools and techniques into your pieces, because in your hands at least it makes the production seem bigger in scope.
        When most people try to do that it just looks cluttered.

Great intro. Great.. Intro..
        So many great shots here it's going to be pointless to try to address them all. (I can't type that fast, lol!)

Now - I am not the best judge because I really don't care for music videos in general, but there are some things here I wanted to get into a little deeper:

Focus sharpness seemed to vary from shot to shot to a degree that it was kind of bothering me. But I don't mean the effect shots - those stand out just fine for what they are.

And a lot of the scenes had what looked like a slightly differing character, and when edited all together it was like...bumpy..for my eyes to follow, you know what I mean?
        But as I've re-watched a few times I find myself wishing you could have used that maybe as a deliberate tool - like grouping scenes in this montage that represent the same place or time. Like wide shots out moving through the city would have one STRONGER character look to them, interior close-ups could have another strong look of its own, and the girl singing could have her own more separate look too.
        I suppose this is something you could still do a bit of in post - not like re-shoots or anything.
        I was just thinking that 3 really distinct separate looks could help....man, I don't even know what word I'm looking for here...could help 'clarify' the story. I hope I'm making any sense here. I do have a major ability to ramble...

Anyway...KEEP 'EM COMING!
        Thanks man. GREAT feedback. I'm not clear on the focus issue you see but I hear you on the different looks throughout the clip. I guess I would need more specific examples but from my end what you saw was deliberate as there is a lot of time shifting. Thanks again for watching!
        instagram
        my work

Comment

I'm on my laptop today...

I think I need to watch this on a better monitor.
          Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
          Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
          Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Comment

Kofa, that was a dramatic piece masquerading as a music video. Very strong on story, almost makes you believe the story came first and the singing second, which is fine when it's the message that counts whether told in song or dramatic action.

Comment

dude,you can make a 1000€ camera looks like 10.000€. Awesome!
              Perhaps some windows are too much overexposed.

But,make sense those blue flares? The overexposed and flares making poor to me. Ruin a little bit the entire production.
              Good job in any case

Comment

I like everything about this, Kofa. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
                http://www.thedreamers.nl/en

Comment

Good job there, Kofa.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Huff View Post
                    Good job there, Kofa.
                    appreciate it Gary.

Originally posted by Hugovandijke View Post
                    I like everything about this, Kofa. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.
                    Thanks bruv.

Originally posted by robbing View Post
                    dude,you can make a 1000€ camera looks like 10.000€. Awesome!
                    Perhaps some windows are too much overexposed.

But,make sense those blue flares? The overexposed and flares making poor to me. Ruin a little bit the entire production.
                    Good job in any case
                    I agree, but the look was to make the artists stand out a bit more. Flares have actually been toned down.

Originally posted by rick.lang View Post
                    Kofa, that was a dramatic piece masquerading as a music video. Very strong on story, almost makes you believe the story came first and the singing second, which is fine when it's the message that counts whether told in song or dramatic action.
                    Thanks Rick. I'm actually considering cutting another version of this focusing only on the story.
                    instagram
                    my work

Comment

Really like the intro, great stuff and solid work.

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by froess View Post
                        Really like the intro, great stuff and solid work.

Congrats!
                        Thanks. It was a lot of fun.
                        instagram
                        my work

Comment

Nice video man. Really liked the grading the story and the two females (singer and female lead). I liked the lighting on the female singer. Story was well put together. Things I didn't like were the blue flares only because people used to overuse that like crazy in the magic bullet days. And also some of the camera moves...it was like handheld but on a steady cam ( i could be wrong). It felt uncomfortable to me. I like either handheld (with a shoulderig) or steady cam (smooth flying motion), but that's a personal thing. Very nice Job all round though.
                          Darren Scott
                          Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Originally posted by jambredz View Post
                            Nice video man. Really liked the grading the story and the two females (singer and female lead). I liked the lighting on the female singer. Story was well put together. Things I didn't like were the blue flares only because people used to overuse that like crazy in the magic bullet days. And also some of the camera moves...it was like handheld but on a steady cam ( i could be wrong). It felt uncomfortable to me. I like either handheld (with a shoulderig) or steady cam (smooth flying motion), but that's a personal thing. Very nice Job all round though.
                            Thanks bruv, and I agree 100%. Sometimes I can get away with it (when my hands are steady) but some shots were a little choppier than I would have liked. I'm actually moving away from handheld towards more controlled camera movements. Found a new appreciation for the locked down tripod shot. When used well, one of the best filmmaking tools you can utilize. Also looking forward to getting my hands on a micro when it eventually hits the shelves. I shot some stuff with Vic's URSA ( I know weight is a factor as well) and really looking forward to the benefits of a global shutter.
                            instagram
                            my work

Comment

Originally posted by misterkofa View Post
                              Thanks bruv, and I agree 100%. Sometimes I can get away with it (when my hands are steady) but some shots were a little choppier than I would have liked. I'm actually moving away from handheld towards more controlled camera movements. Found a new appreciation for the locked down tripod shot. When used well, one of the best filmmaking tools you can utilize. Also looking forward to getting my hands on a micro when it eventually hits the shelves. I shot some stuff with Vic's URSA ( I know weight is a factor as well) and really looking forward to the benefits of a global shutter.
                              Yup I shot alot of handheld for years then found myself using it as a crutch for me being lazy. Then i started to make a conscious effort to start doing more classical cinematography when I could to instill some discipline. I love locked off shots now and wide locked off shots with great nice framing. I love "no country for old men" for the same reason. But i just purchased atlas camera support lol so I'm sure some more handheld work is gonna get done

Did you shoot on a steady cam/glide cam or shoulder rig ( or both)?
                              Darren Scott
                              Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Comment

Working...
                              X